School Bus Driver Fired For Giving Bush The Finger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Should she get her job back? Yeah I suppose a bus driver shouldn't be flipping anyone off in front of kids-on the other hand it's not as if middle school kids have never seen that and don't do it to each other, outside school and in school. If I was one of those kids, I think would have laughed and I wouldn't have been traumatized by it-if I even noticed it. If I was a parent of one of those kids I'd hardly think it was the worst behavior a bus driver could exhibit and I don't think I'd make a big deal out of it. I had a bus driver in high school who was so out of it (for whatever reason) that he drove past the exit for the school and onto the highway.

(AP)SEATTLE - A school bus driver fired after she reportedly made an obscene gesture at President Bush has filed a union grievance in an attempt to get her job back.

The 43-year-old driver, whose name was not released, was driving middle school children back to school after a zoo visit on June 16 when the president and Republican Rep. Dave Reichert drove slowly by in a motorcade.

From the bus, the children waved; with the windows down in their car, Bush and Reichert waved back.

That’s when the driver gave the president the finger, according to Reichert and Issaquah superintendent Janet Barry.

“The congressman hadn’t seen it, but the president turned to him and said, ‘That one’s not a fan,”’ said Reichert spokeswoman Kimberly Cadena.

Reichert later called Barry to tell her about the incident, but the bus driver had already been fired. District officials learned about the incident after the driver boasted to colleagues about it, Cadena said.

District spokeswoman Sara Niegowski said the driver has filed a wrongful termination grievance through the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees. The union did not return calls seeking comment.

Niegowski said the firing was not politically motivated.

“The bus driver was not terminated for making an obscene gesture at the president. The bus driver was terminated for making an obscene gesture in view of the students,” Niegowski said. “That’s not the role modeling we need for our students.”

Well... I could see if maybe she would have been reprimanded by her superiors, but fired? What ever happened to the freedom of speech :shrug:

Lila64 said:
Well... I could see if maybe she would have been reprimanded by her superiors, but fired? What ever happened to the freedom of speech :shrug:

Anyone who works with children should realize that their speech is not completely free; they are limited to speech that would serve as a good example for the children.

Was she fired for shooting the finger or shooting the finger at the president? If it's A, then it's justifiable, if it's B then it's inexcusable.

I feel like diamond

bush_flipping_finger.jpg

bush%2520finger.jpg

Lila64 said:
is GB giving me, a U.S. citizen, the finger? :ohmy: He should be fired!

:shifty:

Especially while holding a flag?! Doesn't he know, he's a role model for little ones who want to ride on the coattails of their fathers?

Unfortunately, she did this while she was at work, acting as a representative of the county/school board and while driving a county vehicle. Whatever she does while at work reflects back on her employer. I can understand why they are unhappy with her.

If she had done this on her own time, I don't see it as a problem (I'd probably even applaud her :wink: ). When you're at work, your behavior is held to a different standard, imho. Especially is you work for a county, city, or state agency.

But I would be curious to find out if similar situations with other bus drivers have been handled in the same way (ex. If another bus driver shot a bird at someone who cut them off in traffic, were they fired for it?). Also, like Martha said, it depends on her past work history as well.

Last edited:
I think they did the right thing. You don't use profanity around children. As much as I dislike Bush, I have to credit him with a good sense of humor.

They had this on the local news last night. Apparently, there had been other various complaints about her, and whoever was in charge said they would have fired her even if it hadn't been the president she'd flipped off.

corianderstem said:
They had this on the local news last night. Apparently, there had been other various complaints about her, and whoever was in charge said they would have fired her even if it hadn't been the president she'd flipped off.

Yeah - for some reason I am getting the impression this is the female version of Otto.

I'd have given her a medal. :D

(am I the only person who as a kid never noticed -- or cared -- what the hell adults were doing? Maybe I was just a complete space cadet, but "adult-speak" when I was young sounded a lot like the adults in Peanuts cartoons. And what I saw them do was pretty much the visual equivalent of it as well.)

A finger is a finger....and the whole "up yours" insult is pathetic anyway, it's meaningless.....

So what if some one says 'Up Yours", what the hell does it mean and what's anyone gonna do about it....

And who knows, maybe to that individual bus driver, "the finger" might in fact be her own personal way of saying "i love you"....

Getting the sack for raising your middle finger is a sad reflection upon our over-reacting society...

It seems more justified if there was a history.

That said, if I saw GWB and didn't take the opportunity to flip him off my friends would never let me live it down :)

CTU2fan said:

That said, if I saw GWB and didn't take the opportunity to flip him off my friends would never let me live it down :)

:lol:

The closest thing I know of is one of my econ professors, a native Tanzanian, asked him to his face "President Bush, why do you not care about Africa?"

MrsSpringsteen said:

:shocked: Isn't it against the law to hold a flag under your arm like that too? :wink:

I'm willing to bet the kids didn't even know it happened until they heard about it in the news. Back in the day, I was too busy:
1) doing homework I didn't do the night before
2) reading about unicorns and puppies
3) avoiding cooties
to be watching the bus driver.

That's pretty ridiculious to fire her though. I know teachers who have slipped f-bombs, s-bombs, and loads of other words, which is essentially the same thing. They were not fired. Perhaps told not to do it again, but not friggin fired.

My opinion of Bush might change (though just a teeny tiny bit) if he would request that the woman get her job back. But then again, he has already shown he doesn't give a rat's arse for the school system.

I'm of the opinion that if it was done in front of students (at least under high school age), she should be fired. Past high school it's a bit of a different story - I don't know about American laws governing this sort of thing, but I had a history prof in high school who kept a pint of vodka in his desk, and regularly drank pitchers of beer at lunch time before coming back to teach in the afternoon. He also had a mouth like a wounded pirate on him. While I don't condone that kind of teaching method, because he was such an interesting character it made the class interesting, and I learned probably more from Mr. Mason than any other teacher in HS. It could be why I'm a history major now.

Long story short, if she did it in front of middle school kids, she should be shown the door. If she'd done it in an empty bus, then no.

The story I read also says she went and immediately started boasting about it to her coworkers, too - this might have had something to do with it as well.

Back
Top Bottom