School bans all form of touching—including high-fives. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 06-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #46
Local Time: 07:59 AM
They banned hugging and holding hands at our middle school for a while, but about every parent called in complaining and it didn't last long.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:17 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:59 AM
There is a clip about this on

For those who were interested in why the rule in the first place, the principle of the school briefly talks about it. One of her reasonings is that the school is crowded and kids high-fiving in the halls create traffic jams.

The other reason she gives cites northern Virginia's diversity and how some cultures represented here may be offended by hugging and handshakes. I live in noVA and it isn't that I don't respect other cultures, but if that is the reason...gimme a break. What does that teach anyone? To avoid things you don't like? Ignore the world?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #48
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 06:59 PM
PDA's kissing, groping, sucking the life out of each other I get. Purely because its just nasty to see!
But high 5ving? hugging? I mean every single day of my high school life I hugged and kissed my friends. Every monring and afternoon. We are a very close bunch, including male friends (and i know they loved it! hahaha) but its a sign of closeness of friendship of love.
If someone has a problem with being touched, they need threapy. I mean im not talking about random people running around hugging but if you can't handle having an arm around you, or a igh 5, because you don't like being touched, you've got a big problem which needs to be addressed. Not the other way around!