Schiavo autopsy released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
Schiavo Autopsy Report Released
Brain Damage Described as 'Irreversible'
By MITCH STACY, AP

LARGO, Fla. (June 15) - An autopsy on Terri Schiavo backed her husband's contention that she was in a persistent vegetative state, finding that she had massive and irreversible brain damage and was blind, the medical examiner's office said Wednesday. It also found no evidence that she was strangled or otherwise abused.

But what caused her collapse 15 years remained a mystery. The autopsy and post-mortem investigation found no proof that she had an eating disorder, as was suspected at the time, Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin said.

Autopsy results on the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman were made public Wednesday, more than two months after Schiavo's death March 31 ended an internationally watched right-to-die battle between her husband and parents that engulfed the courts, Congress and the White House and divided the country.

Thogmartin also said she did not appear to have suffered a heart attack and there was no evidence that she was given harmful drugs or other substances prior to her death.

She died from dehydration, Thogmartin said.

He said she would not have been able to eat or drink if she had been given food by mouth as her parents' requested.

''Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death whether she was fed or hydrated by mouth or not,'' Thogmartin told reporters.

He also said she was blind, because the ''vision centers of her brain were dead.''

Her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, had fought their son-in-law, Michael Schiavo, in court for seven years over her fate.

Thogmartin said that Schiavo's brain was about half of its expected size when she died 13 days after her feeding tube was removed.

''The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain,'' he said. ''This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons.''

He said a review of hospital records of her 1990 showed she had a diminished potassium level in her blood. But he said that did not prove she had an eating disorder, because the emergency treatment she received at the time could have affected the potassium level.

The cause of her collapse has never been definitely proven, but testimony in a 1992 civil trial indicated that she probably was suffering from an eating disorder that led to a severe chemical imbalance.

The Schindlers, though, don't believe she had an eating disorder and have accused Michael Schiavo of abusing his wife, a charge he vehemently denied.

Speaking before the report was issued, Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, said the Schindlers continue to engage in a ''smear campaign against Michael to deflect the real issues in the case, which were Terri's wishes and her medical condition.''

Bill Pellan, chief investigator for the medical examiner's office, said Tuesday that Thogmartin reviewed police reports, medical records and other documents in trying to determine the cause of her brain damage.

During the long legal battle, numerous abuse complaints made to state social workers were ruled unfounded.

Michael Schiavo convinced the courts his wife would not want to be kept alive artificially with no hope of recovery, contending that she made statements to that effect before her collapse.

Her parents doubt she had any such end-of-life wishes and also disputed that she was in a persistent vegetative state. They believed she could get better with therapy.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050614174009990008&ncid=NWS00010000000001

I wonder if it is common to find that the brain of *any* person who died of dehydration weighs less than normal - the brain has a pretty high precentage of water if I remember my anatomy info correctly...

I have some sympathy for the parents

This vindicates the husband of all the slander,

He did the right thing for his wife.

I too hope this can help the healing process for the family.This whole thing was heartbreaking,and became a media circus...

like everyone, i'm happy it's all over and i'm happy that Terri is finally resting instead of being cruelly kept in limbo by the desperate, needy people who should, in theory, love her most and love her best. i wondered if her parents might not have had the same amount of fun if they had taken the cauliflower out of the refrigerator, put on some make up and a party dress, waved balloons in its face and videotaped the whole thing.

i suppose i'm surprised at how angry i am, since the report has revealed them, and the now utterly embarassed manipulative forces surrounding them, as drunk on a toxic cocktail of religious fervor and the unimaginable despair a parent must feel at the death of a child. we cannot forget that Bill Frist and Tom DeLay need to acknowledge and apologize for their now embarassing political opportunism. we cannot forget the attempts of the fringe, theocon right to allege that her husband abused her, as this is now nothing more than a malicious falsehood perpetrated by people who pretend to be on the side of God. we cannot forget the lies they told, the junk science that they attempted to build a case with, and the endless slanders and misrepresentations not just of Michael Schiavo but of the majority of the American people.

what an ugly, ugly, sad story. but at least it exposed the nasty, malicious heart of the fringe of the american theocon right. and the politicians who pander to their increasingly terrifying, fire-and-brimstone worldview.

Last edited:
:hug:irvine:hug:

the fringe is scary...and it seems to be in control. we've got to stand up and bring things back to the middle. perhaps this case might be an indication of that...we'll see. there's a long road to go down before we can pull this country back to the middle.

The parents still refuse to accept the results of the autopsy so they won't let her rest in peace.

I agree with you Irvine but of course you know the spin machine will take comments like yours and say how dare you politicize this to attack the republican's who only had the best interests of the Ms Schiavo at heart (as they mispronounce her name) I give the Republicans credit for being the best spinners I have ever seen. Watching from up here in Canada, I am amazed to see how they attack Democrats with great fervor while at the same time condemning any criticism from Democrats as being anti-patriotic or without merit or slanderous. What is even more credible is how the Democrats bend over and take it.

Irvine511 said:
like everyone, i'm happy it's all over and i'm happy that Terri is finally resting instead of being cruelly kept in limbo by the desperate, needy people who should, in theory, love her most and love her best. i wondered if her parents might not have had the same amount of fun if they had taken the cauliflower out of the refrigerator, put on some make up and a party dress, waved balloons in its face and videotaped the whole thing.

I agree. I'm not a parent so I can't say how'd I'd feel in a situation like this, but I can't understand how it would have been better to keep her alive, especially now with the knowledge that she was blind. :(

trevster2k said:
The parents still refuse to accept the results of the autopsy so they won't let her rest in peace.

I agree with you Irvine but of course you know the spin machine will take comments like yours and say how dare you politicize this to attack the republican's who only had the best interests of the Ms Schiavo at heart (as they mispronounce her name)

Yes Hannity had her brother on today and totally misquoted the findings on her death as undeterminable, blah blah blah.

It's time to quit being pleasant and start calling these people what they are. Fucking liars.

Sorry, not the family. They are being exploited.

I'm talking about the newstainment hosts that do the explotation.edited to add:

Have you read the autopsy? She had liquid for a brain, splintered bones for support. adn no evidence of trauma, strangulation, or other abuse. If people will use a vegatative person for their ends, I see them as degenerate and evil,

Last edited:
NB, we don't agree on much, especially in the political spectrum, but I know you are a caring individual.
To me this is pure explotation by the media of any source. Jackson was 2 days ago now they need a new story.

I agree Martha they are to blame for their daughters explotation. One would like to believe they were sincere in their beliefs.
I personally believe they were exploited by Terry and others, especially the doctor that told them they he could improve her to the point that she would be able to communicate to them.

There is of course data on how sensationalism changes perceptions of even the family involved. Truly I think they are guilty of a combination of both.

Its just a body; really it made no difference one way or the other because she was dead. I cannot see how keeping the body alive was causing any suffering to her because she was gone.

In my opinion we cant really know if her soul was still in there or if it was "just a body"
From a christian perspective I can tell you that a person with religious conviction would feel like it was their duty to fight this.
Now on the other side of things, I cant see how keeping her alive if she was in a complete vegetative state was doing anything productive.
to be honest I dont think I have a complete opinion on this one because, as one of the masses, I dont know everything.
Im not a doctor and Im not God.
I cant know what was going on in her head if she had any thoughts or dreams.
Im just glad this whole thing is over

Well it is; there is no difference between being alive and being dead to the person because they are (edit: mentally) dead; all higher function is gone. It is tragic that she died and it is sad that it was dragged out for all those years, it would seem that the choice was reasonable. Having said that keeping them alive in that state does no harm but their organs could do a lot more good for real people and give them a chance to life.

Last edited:
was she concious? i cant remember. i'm rather hypocritical on this, as i do support euthenasia when it is only a life support machine keeping the brain active. yet, the whole feeding tube deal is not the same to me somehow.

im not god and dont agree with most religions, so it is precisely for that reason i guess im struggling to see how this isn't entirely barbaric. on the other side of the coin, her body was failing in so many ways. there was no quality. but then i come back to the fact that there was still life, without the assistance of machines. just a mere feeding tube. she was forcibly starved and dehydrated until she died. not let go peacefully after her brain had stopped keeping her going, as limited as it was. i dunno. it's almost the same, but not quite.
:huh:

Back
Top Bottom