Schiavo autopsy released - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Schiavo autopsy released

Schiavo Autopsy Report Released
Brain Damage Described as 'Irreversible'
By MITCH STACY, AP

LARGO, Fla. (June 15) - An autopsy on Terri Schiavo backed her husband's contention that she was in a persistent vegetative state, finding that she had massive and irreversible brain damage and was blind, the medical examiner's office said Wednesday. It also found no evidence that she was strangled or otherwise abused.

But what caused her collapse 15 years remained a mystery. The autopsy and post-mortem investigation found no proof that she had an eating disorder, as was suspected at the time, Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin said.

Autopsy results on the 41-year-old brain-damaged woman were made public Wednesday, more than two months after Schiavo's death March 31 ended an internationally watched right-to-die battle between her husband and parents that engulfed the courts, Congress and the White House and divided the country.

Thogmartin also said she did not appear to have suffered a heart attack and there was no evidence that she was given harmful drugs or other substances prior to her death.

She died from dehydration, Thogmartin said.

He said she would not have been able to eat or drink if she had been given food by mouth as her parents' requested.

''Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death whether she was fed or hydrated by mouth or not,'' Thogmartin told reporters.

He also said she was blind, because the ''vision centers of her brain were dead.''

Her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, had fought their son-in-law, Michael Schiavo, in court for seven years over her fate.

Thogmartin said that Schiavo's brain was about half of its expected size when she died 13 days after her feeding tube was removed.

''The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain,'' he said. ''This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons.''

He said a review of hospital records of her 1990 showed she had a diminished potassium level in her blood. But he said that did not prove she had an eating disorder, because the emergency treatment she received at the time could have affected the potassium level.

The cause of her collapse has never been definitely proven, but testimony in a 1992 civil trial indicated that she probably was suffering from an eating disorder that led to a severe chemical imbalance.

The Schindlers, though, don't believe she had an eating disorder and have accused Michael Schiavo of abusing his wife, a charge he vehemently denied.

Speaking before the report was issued, Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, said the Schindlers continue to engage in a ''smear campaign against Michael to deflect the real issues in the case, which were Terri's wishes and her medical condition.''

Bill Pellan, chief investigator for the medical examiner's office, said Tuesday that Thogmartin reviewed police reports, medical records and other documents in trying to determine the cause of her brain damage.

During the long legal battle, numerous abuse complaints made to state social workers were ruled unfounded.

Michael Schiavo convinced the courts his wife would not want to be kept alive artificially with no hope of recovery, contending that she made statements to that effect before her collapse.

Her parents doubt she had any such end-of-life wishes and also disputed that she was in a persistent vegetative state. They believed she could get better with therapy.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001

Old 06-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

I wonder if it is common to find that the brain of *any* person who died of dehydration weighs less than normal - the brain has a pretty high precentage of water if I remember my anatomy info correctly...

Old 06-15-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:16 AM
I have some sympathy for the parents

This vindicates the husband of all the slander,

He did the right thing for his wife.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Yes this is a truly sad story, no winners here at all. Hopefully she can rest in peace now and perhaps the family's wounds can heal.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BEVERLY56
no winners here at all.
What remained of Terri -

finally won.

I hope she can rest in peace, now.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:16 PM
I agree, everyone in on this story lost. The whole thing was so sad.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

i just hope Bill Frist will refrain from making any more diagnosis via videotape in the future.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
War Child

I too hope this can help the healing process for the family.This whole thing was heartbreaking,and became a media circus...
Old 06-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

like everyone, i'm happy it's all over and i'm happy that Terri is finally resting instead of being cruelly kept in limbo by the desperate, needy people who should, in theory, love her most and love her best. i wondered if her parents might not have had the same amount of fun if they had taken the cauliflower out of the refrigerator, put on some make up and a party dress, waved balloons in its face and videotaped the whole thing.

i suppose i'm surprised at how angry i am, since the report has revealed them, and the now utterly embarassed manipulative forces surrounding them, as drunk on a toxic cocktail of religious fervor and the unimaginable despair a parent must feel at the death of a child. we cannot forget that Bill Frist and Tom DeLay need to acknowledge and apologize for their now embarassing political opportunism. we cannot forget the attempts of the fringe, theocon right to allege that her husband abused her, as this is now nothing more than a malicious falsehood perpetrated by people who pretend to be on the side of God. we cannot forget the lies they told, the junk science that they attempted to build a case with, and the endless slanders and misrepresentations not just of Michael Schiavo but of the majority of the American people.

what an ugly, ugly, sad story. but at least it exposed the nasty, malicious heart of the fringe of the american theocon right. and the politicians who pander to their increasingly terrifying, fire-and-brimstone worldview.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:16 PM
irvine

the fringe is scary...and it seems to be in control. we've got to stand up and bring things back to the middle. perhaps this case might be an indication of that...we'll see. there's a long road to go down before we can pull this country back to the middle.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:46 AM
The parents still refuse to accept the results of the autopsy so they won't let her rest in peace.

I agree with you Irvine but of course you know the spin machine will take comments like yours and say how dare you politicize this to attack the republican's who only had the best interests of the Ms Schiavo at heart (as they mispronounce her name) I give the Republicans credit for being the best spinners I have ever seen. Watching from up here in Canada, I am amazed to see how they attack Democrats with great fervor while at the same time condemning any criticism from Democrats as being anti-patriotic or without merit or slanderous. What is even more credible is how the Democrats bend over and take it.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
like everyone, i'm happy it's all over and i'm happy that Terri is finally resting instead of being cruelly kept in limbo by the desperate, needy people who should, in theory, love her most and love her best. i wondered if her parents might not have had the same amount of fun if they had taken the cauliflower out of the refrigerator, put on some make up and a party dress, waved balloons in its face and videotaped the whole thing.
I agree. I'm not a parent so I can't say how'd I'd feel in a situation like this, but I can't understand how it would have been better to keep her alive, especially now with the knowledge that she was blind.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
The parents still refuse to accept the results of the autopsy so they won't let her rest in peace.

I agree with you Irvine but of course you know the spin machine will take comments like yours and say how dare you politicize this to attack the republican's who only had the best interests of the Ms Schiavo at heart (as they mispronounce her name)
Yes Hannity had her brother on today and totally misquoted the findings on her death as undeterminable, blah blah blah.

It's time to quit being pleasant and start calling these people what they are. Fucking liars.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
It's time to quit being pleasant and start calling these people what they are. Fucking liars.
Why go after someone who has lost like that?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Why go after someone who has lost like that?
I think Scarletwine was referring to Hannity as the fucking liar not the brother.