Schiavo autopsy released

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My confliction on this is that nobody has ever been in the head of somebody in that kind of state. How are we to know whether she was suffering because of how they killed her?
On the other hand, if she suffered because of that then most likely she was already suffering :shrug:

Shite
I dunno

she didn't suffer. firstly, her brain wouldn't allow her to suffer -- it lacked the capacity to do so.

secondly, this is a very common way for people to end their lives. people with terminal cancer will often refuse food and water, while being administered morphine so they remain comfortable, so that they can end the pain they're in and naturally pass away. people of sound conscious mind do this all the time, and it's perfectly acceptable by the medical community because it's a way to minimize suffering, allow someone to die naturally, and not implicate the doctor in the taking of a life (i.e. real euthanasia)

The problem I have with this whole thing is once again, it's turned into a debate over playing God when really, the only thing this boils down to is who has the right to make this decision, the husband or the parents. Like others have said, conscious, rational people with terminal illnesses make decisions like this everyday. To me, it seems Terry's parents exploited her by using her to tug at people's heartstrings instead of seeing this whole debate for what it really is.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
The problem I have with this whole thing is once again, it's turned into a debate over playing God when really, the only thing this boils down to is who has the right to make this decision, the husband or the parents. Like others have said, conscious, rational people with terminal illnesses make decisions like this everyday. To me, it seems Terry's parents exploited her by using her to tug at people's heartstrings instead of seeing this whole debate for what it really is.

yes. it was much more a legal issue than a medical one.

on one hand, i can't imagine the pain a parent must feel when a child dies. i'm told that it never leaves, that a part of you is buried with that child, and your life is never, ever the same. children should bury their parents, not the other way around. (gosh, just writing that gets me a bit choked up).

however, what the Schindler's did -- or were manipulated to do, though we can't excuse some of their complicity *especially* the brother who still feels free to drop abuse innuendos as if he's a newsreader on Fox -- was straight-up crazy, and desperate, and sad. at the end of the day, Terri's life belongs to Terri, not to her parents. Terri's life should be meaningful to Terri, not for her parents. i return to the cauliflower analogy: what they were doing to Terri's body was no different than if they had dressed up a cauliflower and called it "Terri" and put make-up and party dresses on it.

did anyone see the South Park when Kenny was in a PVS? they found the note, and it said something to the effect of, "and please, for the love of God, should i ever be in such a state, do not put my face on television."

how embarassing for all.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

This is mostly an artificial debate. If her parents had not objected--even though they had absolutely no legal standing once she married--then there would have been no debate: Terri would have been unhooked years ago from her feeding tube.

In Texas, due to a law signed by then-Gov. Bush, the decision ended up being up to the hospital in the case of Medicaid patients. If the hospital determined that someone was beyond recovery, they would have the right to unplug them even against the objections of the spouse or parents! And this happened to an angry African American mother, whose child was unplugged, as he was born with an always fatal birth defect. Where was the Vatican decrying this? You see, this is one of many reasons why I have lost my faith in religion.

Melon

Irvine511 said:

on one hand, i can't imagine the pain a parent must feel when a child dies. i'm told that it never leaves, that a part of you is buried with that child, and your life is never, ever the same. children should bury their parents, not the other way around. (gosh, just writing that gets me a bit choked up).

how embarassing for all.

No the pain never leaves you,I know from personal experience,but you do somehow survive.You really appreciate life and your loved ones more.You realize that life is too short so all the silly fighting people do isnt worth it and doesnt amount to a hill of beans in the end...

I do understand what her parents went through.You would do just about anything not to give up.I may not agree with how they handled this,but I do understand and symphatize

LadyRhia said:

No the pain never leaves you,I know from personal experience,but you do somehow survive.You really appreciate life and your loved ones more.You realize that life is too short so all the silly fighting people do isnt worth it and doesnt amount to a hill of beans in the end...

I do understand what her parents went through.You would do just about anything not to give up.I may not agree with how they handled this,but I do understand and symphatize

i am very sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom