scathing editorial on project Red - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:15 AM
scathing editorial on project Red

thought some of you might have something to say over this. it's written by Heather Mallick, a respected contributor to Canada's Globe and Mail and the New York Times.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_.../20061023.html

not a particularly flattering piece. I'm not sure what I think of it yet...

Old 10-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Don't care

Old 10-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by kimby
Don't care

why?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
War Child

I liked the letter below the column.

Hope Heather Mallick felt better after ranting about it all. Though she probably would feel better if she donated a day's worth of salary to the cause as she recommends...maybe she did and forgot to tell us...though i doubt it.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

yeah, i didn't find her all that compelling. like Naomi Klein, but much more anti-American.

ETA: and i should say that i cautiously agree with Naomi Klein, more in theory than in practice. not so much this lady .
Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Wow, she missed the point didn't she?

But here's my favorite part:

Quote:
Stop using black models and semi-celebrities to sell products to guilty liberals because black entertainers are desperate for exposure.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

It was OK. I think she touched on the main thing that bothers me about (RED) - it seems people are treating it like any other fad. Were all these (RED) supporters donating to the Global Fund before (RED)? Were they buying products from companies/organizations that have actually been using this concept for decades, but aren't "cool" brands like Gap, Apple, or Armani? This is why I've always been relunctant to wear a ONE bracelet and why I haven't bought any (RED) yet. It kind of embarasses me that I have to somehow prove via public display of a bracelet or shirt that yes, I do actually care about the rest of the world. I feel like for me it's better to do what I've been doing all along, making a point of studying development, volunteering time, and making donations when I can. I don't need a grungy sweater from the Gap to feel like I've made a difference.

However, some of her points were rather odd. What was her deal with black people supporting (RED)? I'm not really sure what she was trying to say there. Besides, most of the (RED) models/supporters I've seen are white, not that it makes a difference to me.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah. She needs to do more research. That's pathetic she didn't.

Not a good reporter/writer.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
It was OK. I think she touched on the main thing that bothers me about (RED) - it seems people are treating it like any other fad. Were all these (RED) supporters donating to the Global Fund before (RED)? Were they buying products from companies/organizations that have actually been using this concept for decades, but aren't "cool" brands like Gap, Apple, or Armani? This is why I've always been relunctant to wear a ONE bracelet and why I haven't bought any (RED) yet. It kind of embarasses me that I have to somehow prove via public display of a bracelet or shirt that yes, I do actually care about the rest of the world. I feel like for me it's better to do what I've been doing all along, making a point of studying development, volunteering time, and making donations when I can. I don't need a grungy sweater from the Gap to feel like I've made a difference.

However, some of her points were rather odd. What was her deal with black people supporting (RED)? I'm not really sure what she was trying to say there. Besides, most of the (RED) models/supporters I've seen are white, not that it makes a difference to me.

I agree with you on a few points here. Especially after I go to the Gap the other day and a very obviously well to do woman was perusing the display and said to her husband how "nice" it was that people were finally doing something for that "whole Africa thingy down there".
Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't find the piece particularly compelling.

However I do think this RED thing is going to accomplish pretty much nothing longterm.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

I think the point of wearing it is to raise awareness though. I don't know if it will really accomplish anything long term. I explained my shirt to someone this weekend and they were completely shocked by the whole thing. It's not simply about giving your $10 or donating but making other people aware when they see the shirt and maybe they'll look into it themselves.

We can all quietly give and feel good about ourselves that's a great thing. I think this is something different.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

I think the point of wearing it is to raise awareness though. I don't know if it will really accomplish anything long term. I explained my shirt to someone this weekend and they were completely shocked by the whole thing. It's not simply about giving your $10 or donating but making other people aware when they see the shirt and maybe they'll look into it themselves.

We can all quietly give and feel good about ourselves that's a great thing. I think this is something different.
Very fair point. I guess the whole thing has made me disappointed that has come this far in the first place. It takes novelty items like $200 sunglasses and iPods for people to even NOTICE that half the world is starving? I do fully support the (RED) campaign, including the concept of businesses profiting while being charitable, and I will buy something when they produce something I want/need, but I also think it's an unfortunate yet realistic reflection on what actually motivates people to take notice.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

living in the U.S at least, I think a person has to seek info. on what's going on in Africa. It's not in our faces and unless you look for world news reports which I doubt the average person does, you wouldn't know.

One of my professors the other day said the average american has a 3rd grade IQ
Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat
living in the U.S at least, I think a person has to seek info. on what's going on in Africa. It's not in our faces and unless you look for world news reports which I doubt the average person does, you wouldn't know.
True, but I wonder how far we can blame "the media" instead of ourselves? I'm thinking of my little sister and how she comes home from school and spends hours reading trashy websites and teen magazines seeking all the latest info on her top ten celebs. If she would put HALF as much effort into reading even just the first page of the world news section of our newspaper, I think she'd really take notice of things that actually matter.

I've always believe the media gives us what we really want. If all we're getting is the same trash over and over, there must be enough people genuinely satisfied with that type of information.