scathing editorial on project Red - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Well, that CBC editorial does say what I'd been thinking. Criticizing "goverment" for not giving to the poor and then using tax-shelters to avoid paying your share is really apalling.

I wonder why Jim Wallis and Beth Maynard haven't spoken up on this.

Really, that's the kind of peops who have the cred to call the B-man out on this one.
I'm with you here; I can't see past the apparent hypocrisy. It's unsettling...

Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #47
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray

I'm with you here; I can't see past the apparent hypocrisy. It's unsettling...
It's hard to look at B-man and U2's recent tax evasion move as a black/white issue, though. Obviously, they are celebrities and are generate more tax revenue than the average joe. However, in the most basic terms, how is what they did any different from what the average family tries to do?

If the average career citizen is able to organize his financial affairs with help from a financial professional to shelter his money from taxes on things such as family deaths or retirement plans, why can't Bono do it?

That's not hypocrisy, that's frugality.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
It's hard to look at B-man and U2's recent tax evasion move as a black/white issue, though. Obviously, they are celebrities and are generate more tax revenue than the average joe. However, in the most basic terms, how is what they did any different from what the average family tries to do?

If the average career citizen is able to organize his financial affairs with help from a financial professional to shelter his money from taxes on things such as family deaths or retirement plans, why can't Bono do it?

I agree. I'm only 22 and I've already been audited because my dad and I go after every credit and exemption possible with our taxes. I'm not ashamed of it, and I've got nothing to hide. Why pay more than you have to? Rich people like Bono already pay exponentially more in taxes than average joes like us. If it's worth it for them to move business to the Netherlands, I won't lose sleep over it.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's hard to look at B-man and U2's recent tax evasion move as a black/white issue, though.
Really what they're doing isn't tax evasion, it is tax avoidance. Tax evasion is an offence; tax avoidance is not.

Every rich person out there does it. The lower and middle classes think they're avoiding by claiming credits and so on, but this is nonsense and peanuts in the larger scheme of things. For true tax avoidance, you need serious coin and a tax attorney (accountants have their downsides).
Old 11-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
It was OK. I think she touched on the main thing that bothers me about (RED) - it seems people are treating it like any other fad. Were all these (RED) supporters donating to the Global Fund before (RED)? Were they buying products from companies/organizations that have actually been using this concept for decades, but aren't "cool" brands like Gap, Apple, or Armani? This is why I've always been relunctant to wear a ONE bracelet and why I haven't bought any (RED) yet. It kind of embarasses me that I have to somehow prove via public display of a bracelet or shirt that yes, I do actually care about the rest of the world. I feel like for me it's better to do what I've been doing all along, making a point of studying development, volunteering time, and making donations when I can. I don't need a grungy sweater from the Gap to feel like I've made a difference.

However, some of her points were rather odd. What was her deal with black people supporting (RED)? I'm not really sure what she was trying to say there. Besides, most of the (RED) models/supporters I've seen are white, not that it makes a difference to me.
More importantly than if they were supporting the organizations before the marketing campaign is will they support them afterwards? When there is no trendy iPod or Gap shirt to wear, will they give 10 bucks to the organization anyway? Is the campaign going to successfully develop a sustainable interest in the cause that will result in increased time, money, attention, and political pressure to a significant level? (I doubt it.)

That's why I'm fine wearing a one bracelet - it's a cause I've already devoted hundreds of volunteer hours to (literally living in Africa) and a cause I'm devoting my career to. Besides, very few people know what it means (I've seen white bracelets for the "drink your milk" campaign...). I wear it for myself. Also shows that I went to a leg 1 concert as I have the old style and not that god-awful chunky one they started selling - so yes, there's a trendy element to it and maybe others wear the bracelet solely for that effect, except as I said few know what it means anyway.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:38 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Really what they're doing isn't tax evasion, it is tax avoidance. Tax evasion is an offence; tax avoidance is not.

Every rich person out there does it. The lower and middle classes think they're avoiding by claiming credits and so on, but this is nonsense and peanuts in the larger scheme of things. For true tax avoidance, you need serious coin and a tax attorney (accountants have their downsides).
Just ask the Stones
Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #52
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 03:26 AM
Quote:

Sorry, gang, but the last time I checked, the "average career citizen" wasn't publicly scolding government leaders on major media outlets to use tax money to alleviate poverty in Africa.

Lots of Irish were the first to call Bono and Co. out on this because Bono actually scolds the Irish government.

Bono also publicly espouses a version of the gospel that is morally antithetical to his practice. He believes what Jesus says about giving to the poor and the last shall be first and all that and he has called on rich people everywhere to change their lives because of it.

So Bono is not your average career guy (who would have much lower taxes, by the way, if the rich everywhere paid their share).

Anu
Old 11-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

...maybe he uses the money he's saving in taxes to donate? Doubt it, but maybe