scathing editorial on project Red

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Devlin said:
I mean, seriously, think about it. I know I don't spend much time online doing anything useful. How about you? :shrug:

Hmm...well honestly, I spend about as much time goofing off as I do learning about and getting involved in causes that I'm passionate about.

And yes, there are some fans I share only Bono drool fests with, and some that can go for hours discussing African economics and global social inequalities.

But again, we're in the minority. We are the social conscious, and regardless of how many campaigns become trendy, we will continue to do what we do best :)

I'm curious to see how much African economics will infiltrate into common dialogue after this. I mean, I don't expect all out discussions, but even the simplist exchange of words is an improvement in my eyes.

"Day-yum! Nice cell phone"
"Yeah, it is the new RED phone."
"Whats that?"
"Biotch! Don't you watch Oprah?"
"pssh. Nah fool!"
"Oh...well it gives money to Africa"
"AFRICA?"
"Yeah, so they can get more medicine there to the dying people"
"Oh snap! I wanna get one too."

Oh snap!! It's too late to edit. :(
But in my defense, I will say that I've seen my students spell it both ways. I was trying to use the current vernacular of the young people. Perhaps that just reveals the downfall of public higher education, the inability to properly spell slang words.

Last edited:
Just a couple of notes about the writer of that piece, Heather Mallick.
She used to work at the Globe and Mail, but no longer does. She quit/was fired (depending on whose version you believe) after sending a series of outrageous emails in which she viciously slagged off several of her co-workers.
She also wrote in one of her columns that she "despises" Bono (her actual word). In her view, "real" rock stars should be overdosing on drugs and not happily accepting Golden Globe awards. Logical argument has never been her strong suit.

What I don't get about the article is how Mallick seems to imply that every shopper is in debt...? :eyebrow: some people can afford to buy this (RED) stuff :shrug:

anyway, as redhotswami and Catlady said, the point of Project (RED) is basically to offer people the oppurtunity to buy stuff they'd buy anyway but donate to a worthy cause at the same time. of course it'd be better to donate directly to some sort of organization, and you can do that too, but (RED) isn't really aimed at the people that do that. and personally I think it's GOOD that it's hip. it should be a fad (except a lasting one), because it brings attention to the issue. Even if some jerk doesn't necessarily care about Africa but buys something from (RED) because it's "cool," they've done some good they wouldn't have otherwise. Is that really a bad thing? Plus people that may not have cared before will want to know more, get involved, etc.

You can criticize (RED), but it's better than nothing at all.

The only thing I think Red is good for is raising awareness of the AIDS crisis, and promoting some nice-looking schwag for the hipsters who need to have it.

Listen, if you really care about a cause like that, make a $100 donation once a year to an organization doing good work in Africa. You don't need to channel your outreach through a trendy t-shirt or iPod that will fire off 5 or 10 bucks into a nebulous feel-good cloud of chic AIDS relief.

The editorial is poorly written, however, and as soon as the author took a cheap swipe at Giuliani for saying something very smart, she lost me.

I think the whole Red idea is a pretty good one. From what I've seen, people are much more happy to support charitable organisations etc. when they get something tangible in return for doing so. Even if it's just a sticker to show they've donated. The whole project Red thing taps into this, I think. I hate to see consumerism encouraged. And associating consumerism with being socially conscious is a strange idea to me. But it does have a hint of genius to it.

Great thread.

It's good to see this issue being discussed seriously and critically.

The kinds of activism Bono promotes and engages in are precipitated on the idea that capitalism and consumerism inherently benevolent and can be used for the common good.

In his life, that's true. For many in the overdeveloped, privileged world, it's true. But the kind of poverty he's working to end in our lifetime is the direct result of capitalism (of course, many other factors exist).

So, really, if we understand what an anti-life economic philosophy capitalism is, our latter day Bono, buying Forbes and refusing to pay his taxes while promoting the end of poverty, is in fact the Mr. macPhisto he once created as parody.

But for the young and uninitiated, this Go Red business actually might be a gateway drug to greater consciousness. And really, that's the work our messianic rock star does best, opening and changing hearts with his poetry, not making global policy to end poverty.

Anu said:
Great thread.

It's good to see this issue being discussed seriously and critically.

The kinds of activism Bono promotes and engages in are precipitated on the idea that capitalism and consumerism inherently benevolent and can be used for the common good.

In his life, that's true. For many in the overdeveloped, privileged world, it's true. But the kind of poverty he's working to end in our lifetime is the direct result of capitalism (of course, many other factors exist).

So, really, if we understand what an anti-life economic philosophy capitalism is, our latter day Bono, buying Forbes and refusing to pay his taxes while promoting the end of poverty, is in fact the Mr. macPhisto he once created as parody.

But for the young and uninitiated, this Go Red business actually might be a gateway drug to greater consciousness. And really, that's the work our messianic rock star does best, opening and changing hearts with his poetry, not making global policy to end poverty.

You know, I've never understood his unending commitment to capitalism. I'm not sure if capitalism can really be capitaism with fair trade. Perhaps that is what he is trying to prove with this. And you're right, many people are in the condition they are in because of capitalism.

But I do admire him. He definitely has a vision, and really believes in it. He shakes hands with people I myself would rather ignore and protest against, because he is that committed to his cause.

biff said:
Just a couple of notes about the writer of that piece, Heather Mallick.
She used to work at the Globe and Mail, but no longer does. She quit/was fired (depending on whose version you believe) after sending a series of outrageous emails in which she viciously slagged off several of her co-workers.

ha... curious CBC they didn't mention that in her bio. interesting stuff biff.

it's funny, only a few days before this editorial was printed Rex Murphy blasted Bono on his segment for the National (cbc's night news program). It's another brutal, unforgiving editorial. I wonder if the CBC harbours a grudge. :hmm:

here's a link to it:
"Lecture us no more, Mr. Bono"

Last edited:
Well, that CBC editorial does say what I'd been thinking. Criticizing "goverment" for not giving to the poor and then using tax-shelters to avoid paying your share is really apalling.

I wonder why Jim Wallis and Beth Maynard haven't spoken up on this.

Really, that's the kind of peops who have the cred to call the B-man out on this one.

Anu said:
Well, that CBC editorial does say what I'd been thinking. Criticizing "goverment" for not giving to the poor and then using tax-shelters to avoid paying your share is really apalling.

Really, that's the kind of peops who have the cred to call the B-man out on this one.

I know, that one really has me scratching my head too. But since Bono is just one member of the group, I wonder what their discussions were like amongst the lads, and I'm curious to know their reasoning behind it. It is a group decision, but I wonder how they came about that decision.

According to an e-mail I got

It's been just under three weeks since we launched (RED)™ in the U.S. and we already have some exciting news to report!

MEASU(RED) RESULTS

(PRODUCT) RED sales in the U.S. have raised enough money to:

. Provide more than 10,000 men or women with antiretroviral treatment for a year. (Note: These treatments are only a small portion of a person's overall treatment and represent just one year of lifelong treatment.)

Or

. Provide more than 1 million peer educators with HIV training

Or

. Provide a year's worth of school materials and daily hot meals for more than 35,000 children orphaned by AIDS

Or

. Provide more than 650,000 Rapid Tests which detect HIV and deliver instant test results.

Anu said:

I'm with you here; I can't see past the apparent hypocrisy. It's unsettling...

Dorian Gray said:

I'm with you here; I can't see past the apparent hypocrisy. It's unsettling...
It's hard to look at B-man and U2's recent tax evasion move as a black/white issue, though. Obviously, they are celebrities and are generate more tax revenue than the average joe. However, in the most basic terms, how is what they did any different from what the average family tries to do?

If the average career citizen is able to organize his financial affairs with help from a financial professional to shelter his money from taxes on things such as family deaths or retirement plans, why can't Bono do it?

That's not hypocrisy, that's frugality.

Canadiens1160 said:
It's hard to look at B-man and U2's recent tax evasion move as a black/white issue, though. Obviously, they are celebrities and are generate more tax revenue than the average joe. However, in the most basic terms, how is what they did any different from what the average family tries to do?

If the average career citizen is able to organize his financial affairs with help from a financial professional to shelter his money from taxes on things such as family deaths or retirement plans, why can't Bono do it?

I agree. I'm only 22 and I've already been audited because my dad and I go after every credit and exemption possible with our taxes. I'm not ashamed of it, and I've got nothing to hide. Why pay more than you have to? Rich people like Bono already pay exponentially more in taxes than average joes like us. If it's worth it for them to move business to the Netherlands, I won't lose sleep over it.

Canadiens1160 said:
It's hard to look at B-man and U2's recent tax evasion move as a black/white issue, though.

Really what they're doing isn't tax evasion, it is tax avoidance. Tax evasion is an offence; tax avoidance is not.

Every rich person out there does it. The lower and middle classes think they're avoiding by claiming credits and so on, but this is nonsense and peanuts in the larger scheme of things. For true tax avoidance, you need serious coin and a tax attorney (accountants have their downsides).

Liesje said:
It was OK. I think she touched on the main thing that bothers me about (RED) - it seems people are treating it like any other fad. Were all these (RED) supporters donating to the Global Fund before (RED)? Were they buying products from companies/organizations that have actually been using this concept for decades, but aren't "cool" brands like Gap, Apple, or Armani? This is why I've always been relunctant to wear a ONE bracelet and why I haven't bought any (RED) yet. It kind of embarasses me that I have to somehow prove via public display of a bracelet or shirt that yes, I do actually care about the rest of the world. I feel like for me it's better to do what I've been doing all along, making a point of studying development, volunteering time, and making donations when I can. I don't need a grungy sweater from the Gap to feel like I've made a difference.

However, some of her points were rather odd. What was her deal with black people supporting (RED)? I'm not really sure what she was trying to say there. Besides, most of the (RED) models/supporters I've seen are white, not that it makes a difference to me.

More importantly than if they were supporting the organizations before the marketing campaign is will they support them afterwards? When there is no trendy iPod or Gap shirt to wear, will they give 10 bucks to the organization anyway? Is the campaign going to successfully develop a sustainable interest in the cause that will result in increased time, money, attention, and political pressure to a significant level? (I doubt it.)

That's why I'm fine wearing a one bracelet - it's a cause I've already devoted hundreds of volunteer hours to (literally living in Africa) and a cause I'm devoting my career to. Besides, very few people know what it means (I've seen white bracelets for the "drink your milk" campaign...). I wear it for myself. Also shows that I went to a leg 1 concert as I have the old style and not that god-awful chunky one they started selling - so yes, there's a trendy element to it and maybe others wear the bracelet solely for that effect, except as I said few know what it means anyway.

Last edited:
anitram said:

Really what they're doing isn't tax evasion, it is tax avoidance. Tax evasion is an offence; tax avoidance is not.

Every rich person out there does it. The lower and middle classes think they're avoiding by claiming credits and so on, but this is nonsense and peanuts in the larger scheme of things. For true tax avoidance, you need serious coin and a tax attorney (accountants have their downsides).
Just ask the Stones :lol:

Canadiens1160 said:

Sorry, gang, but the last time I checked, the "average career citizen" wasn't publicly scolding government leaders on major media outlets to use tax money to alleviate poverty in Africa.

Lots of Irish were the first to call Bono and Co. out on this because Bono actually scolds the Irish government.

Bono also publicly espouses a version of the gospel that is morally antithetical to his practice. He believes what Jesus says about giving to the poor and the last shall be first and all that and he has called on rich people everywhere to change their lives because of it.

So Bono is not your average career guy (who would have much lower taxes, by the way, if the rich everywhere paid their share).

Anu

Back
Top Bottom