Scandal growing at Oral Roberts University - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Embattled Oral Roberts president resigns
By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS, Associated Press Writer

TULSA, Okla. - The president of Oral Roberts University who is facing accusations he misspent university funds to support a lavish lifestyle resigned from his position, officials said Friday.

Richard Roberts' resignation is effective immediately, according to a statement e-mailed from George Pearsons, chairman of the school's Board of Regents.

Roberts and the university have come under fire since a lawsuit was filed by three former professors.

The lawsuit includes allegations of a $39,000 shopping tab at one store for Richard Roberts' wife, Lindsay, a $29,411 Bahamas senior trip on the university jet for one of Roberts' daughters, and a stable of horses for the Roberts children.

Roberts, son of school founder and televangelist Oral Roberts, had been on temporary leave from the evangelical university, fighting the accusations against him. In a recent interview, the couple denied wrongdoing.

Roberts has said the lawsuit amounted to "intimidation, blackmail and extortion."

On Friday, he said in the statement that he loved the university. He became president in 1993. "I love ORU with all my heart," Roberts said in the statement. "I love the students, faculty, staff and administration and I want to see God's best for all of them."

The professors also alleged in their lawsuit that Richard Roberts required students in a government class to work on 2006 mayoral candidate Randi Miller's campaign.

Roberts publicly endorsed Miller, but said then that he was doing so as a private citizen and not as an ORU representative. He has denied the lawsuit's claims that he ordered students to work on Miller's campaign.

Professor Tim Brooker, one of the lawsuit plaintiffs, accused the school of forcing him to quit after he warned Roberts that requiring students to work on Miller's campaign jeopardized ORU's tax-exempt status.

In the weeks since that lawsuit was filed, others have cropped up, including one from a former senior accountant who alleged that the Robertses ordered him to help them hide improper and illegal financial wrongdoing from the authorities and the public.

Besides the legal issues, the school's provost, Mark Lewandowski, offered to quit, telling the regents he could not "in good conscience serve under (Roberts') leadership." Roberts received a vote of "no confidence" recently from the school's tenured faculty.

The school's regents will meet Monday and Tuesday to determine action in the search process for a new president, Pearsons said in the statement.

Executive Regent Billy Joe Daugherty will assume the president's administrative responsibilities, working with Oral Roberts until the regents' meeting, the statement said.
The political campaign emails etc. were published in the paper this week.. they were pretty eye opening.

ORU Emails

Probably find links to the others on the newspapers main page.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:41 AM
AngelofHarlem01,

Thank you for the update.

michael

Old 11-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 03:41 AM
I can't help but be disappointed that my own brothers and sisters in Christ would piss away their own reputations like this (and, as a result, the reputation of the one to which they profess as well), but I'm also not surprised. The "gospel of prosperity", as it's being called, rubs me the wrong way.

Now.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:45 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

It's been happening since Jesus' time...

I don't trust the majority of overly vocal "Christians".
Old 11-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It's been happening since Jesus' time...

A good thought.

"Test everything." ~a quote from the Bible

*didn't take time to look up the reference
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

A good thought.

"Test everything." ~a quote from the Bible

*didn't take time to look up the reference
1 John 4:1 -- "Test the spirits and hold to that which is good."
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder if God told his wife to spend that 39 grand in one store

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Richard Roberts told students at Oral Roberts University Wednesday that he did not want to resign as president of the scandal-plagued evangelical school, but he did so because God insisted.

Roberts told students in the university's chapel that God told him on Thanksgiving that he should resign the next day.

Roberts said he resisted the idea, and that "every ounce of my flesh said 'no,'" but he prayed over the decision with his wife, Lindsay Roberts, and his father, Oral Roberts, and decided to step down.

A lawsuit accuses Roberts of lavish spending at a time when the university faced more than $50 million in debt. On Tuesday, the founder of a Christian office and education supply store chain pledged $70 million to help the university.

Roberts has previously said that God told him to deny the allegations. The week the lawsuit was filed, Richard Roberts said that God told: "We live in a litigious society. Anyone can get mad and file a lawsuit against another person whether they have a legitimate case or not. This lawsuit ... is about intimidation, blackmail and extortion."
Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

A good link, which I believe, states why Oral Roberts and his son's teachings are false.

It's really sad that Christians must continually deal with these people who so misrepresent and distort the message of Jesus.

And sadder still is how these false teachers hinder so many from even considering the Christian faith.

http://www.ondoctrine.com/10robero.htm
Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I wonder if God's message was, "Psst...you're making me look bad. Step down NOW!"

I kid, I kid. Seriously, though, I just have to roll my eyes at people like Roberts-yeah, if you screw people over that badly, you SHOULD quit, whether you were "told" to or not. I fully agree, it sucks that we have people like this guy out there claiming to represent the Christian faith. It's not fair to the many people who prove why Christianity is worthwhile. It'd be nice if the decent Christians got more of the publicity, they deserve it (and yes, I realize that by discussing this I'm only giving Roberts and people like him more publicity. I'm not helping, either, I know that. But venting feels good).

Angela
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Big Grin

Forgetting about the Robert's for a minute, it's pretty cool that the founder of the Hobby Lobby chain has pledged 70 million dollars to help the university get out of debt. I thought this was really funny in the paper this morning

Old 11-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:

Why trust anything?

Why do we question God telling him to step down?

Do you question God telling someone to kill their own child?

If God asked you to?

Would you?