Saving oneself for marriage... to which extent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Anthony:
One should never save oneself for marriage, otherwise you don't know what you're getting.
smile.gif

Ant.

I sure hope you're being flippant here. Everyone learns somewhere...why not learn with your lifemate? Who else should be so important? I mean, you have gifts that you share with the whole world, and you have your sexuality...something so intimate it should be reserved for the one who means more than life to you. Being a romantic, I believe that is only one. Of course, I also believe that marriage is a two-fold blessing: first being having the best thing you'll ever have, and second being recognizing what you've got...and sooo many people miss the boat on that one. People need to have more self-respect and stop giving themselves away in such a manner. But...that's just me.

On topic...I fully meant to wait until marriage, but ended up caving. On the bright side, my first is now my only and we have been married for 8 years!
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I'm not religious or romantic and don't care much about the "saving myself for marriage" stuff, but as far as I know myself, I wouldn't have a sexual relationship of any sort with a person that I didn't get to know and love deeply first. I'm just not built that way.

Originally posted by speedracer:
For once I agree with Dr.G.
Originally posted by U2Bama:
I was thinking the same thing; I agree with BOTH of Doctor_Gonzo's posts in this thread; how rare is that?
See? I'm a uniter, not a divider.

I'm saving myself for marriage for many reasons. Religion, my upbringing, etc., but especially because I think that having waited for my husband will be the greatest gift that I can give him (that is, if I ever do meet him!!!).

Everyone who is or has waited til marriage- Is it the same thing to be a virgin but have sex with the man/woman you end up marrying, only later on? Ie one partner, but premarital? When I look at people like that, I think it kind of cancels out the whole marriage thing, unless its for religious reasons. Surely in this instance in doesn't matter whether its before or after "I do".

For me it's not the same thing, I believe in the sacrament of marriage, and so waiting for such a pivotal point shows true devotion and a mutual vow to to love "for better, for worse." But I understand that not everyone holds this belief in marriage, and in such a case, monogamy is definitely worth respect. That's just my point of view though!
Love,
SloMo

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Everyone who is or has waited til marriage- Is it the same thing to be a virgin but have sex with the man/woman you end up marrying, only later on? Ie one partner, but premarital? When I look at people like that, I think it kind of cancels out the whole marriage thing, unless its for religious reasons. Surely in this instance in doesn't matter whether its before or after "I do".

By definition, that would still be sex outside the confines of marrage. Even if they never had sex with anyone else, it would still be against my beliefs.

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I've had so many people tell me that not having sex until you're married is stupid because you need to "try out the goods first so you don't get stuck with a dud forever"...

I disagree.

Some things...no...MOST things...are more important than sex.

I agree...besides, sex starts in the head, not the bed, so any "dud" can be changed.
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I've had so many people tell me that not having sex until you're married is stupid because you need to "try out the goods first so you don't get stuck with a dud forever"...

I disagree.

Some things...no...MOST things...are more important than sex.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Back
Top Bottom