Saudi sets sights on 60th bride

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
13 year old !!!! as 58th bride

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3520362.stm

Saudi sets sights on 60th bride
----------------------------------------------

Multiple wives are common among Saudis and other Gulf Arabs
A Saudi businessman aged 64 has just made a young girl his 58th bride and says he intends to have two more weddings to bring his total to 60.
Saleh al-Saiari, who has fathered 36 children, took a 13-year-old to be his latest bride a month ago and told a newspaper he was in "very good health".

He said he would draw lots to decide which of his current wives he would divorce to make room for two more.

Under Saudi law, Muslim men may have four wives at any one time.

Mr Saiari told Asharq Al-Awsat that he had first married at the age of 14 and planned to "round off [his married life] with a 60th wedding".

He said his spouses included both "university graduates and illiterate women" but he preferred educated wives.

The businessman, who was once a shepherd, said he would "resort to the usual draw" to choose which of his current four wives to drop.

It was not immediately clear what happened to those of Mr Saiari's wives he divorced.

He said he would draw lots to decide which of his current wives he would divorce to make room for two more.
There goes the possibility love had anything to do with any of these marriages.

I can't respect anything which denies choice to anyone. This girl is one fifth his age, couldn't possibly be keen on this and is still a baby herself. He must be so fucking proud of himself. What a champion.
:rolleyes:

Angela Harlem said:
There goes the possibility love had anything to do with any of these marriages.

I can't respect anything which denies choice to anyone. This girl is one fifth his age, couldn't possibly be keen on this and is still a baby herself. He must be so fucking proud of himself. What a champion.
:rolleyes:

It's incredible that this sort of thing is still happening in the 21st century. It's like they don't even see women as fellow human beings, just things to be used and discarded. :mad:

This doesn't surprise me. I don't know that anyone knows how many wives the first King of Saudi Arabia had. Of course he was politically motivated. In fact many marriages in Saudi Arabia are either political or economic or both. Marriage for love? It doesn't exist. Do the girls have a choice? No. Alot of these girls have complete lives of terror, being completely at the beck and call of some SOB five times their age. One of these girls is the niece of the main character in Jean Sasson's "Princess Trilogy". It really sucks. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
I dont wish to speak for Pax, but I believe her comment was a little tongue in cheek/sarcastic regarding the notion that the only way a marriage can be successful is through simple heterosexuality and this proves how wrong this notion can be...But I might have misread your reply. Sorry if I have and am repeating something you already know :)

I firmly believe and support the idea that the only marriages which are right and good, are those by any 2 consenting adults. Being both adults and consenting, the rest shouldn't matter be it sexuality, colour, creed or status.

Angela Harlem said:
I dont wish to speak for Pax, but I believe her comment was a little tongue in cheek/sarcastic regarding the notion that the only way a marriage can be successful is through simple heterosexuality and this proves how wrong this notion can be...But I might have misread your reply. Sorry if I have and am repeating something you already know :)

Oh, I understood that point. The high divorce rate alone points to the fact that there's more to marriage than procreation ability.

What I meant was that this guy was going through women like toilet paper simply because he was allowed to. In a culture where women are oppressed, they're considered somewhat less than human and thus disposable. That's what I was objecting to. Forcing a child into marrying a man old enough to be her grandfather is sexual abuse, plain and simple. This is not love or romance. He's doing it to prove what a "man" he is to show his power over his victims. And if the culture allowed it, he'd do the same to boys as he does to girls.

I do hope I'm making sense now... :crazy:

No no Sue, it was me who misunderstood.
I agree with you. Except perhaps on the same happening to young boys, but it's not a culture I can really understand, despite some limited knowledge.

If this man visite the Netherlands, he should be accused for child abuse and be jailed. I think that should be possible within the Dutch law,...

Back
Top Bottom