Saudi police say Barbie dolls a threat to morality - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Saudi police say Barbie dolls a threat to morality

cnn.com

Saudi police say Barbie dolls a threat to morality
Wednesday, September 10, 2003 Posted: 9:25 AM EDT (1325 GMT)

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Saudi Arabia's religious police have declared Barbie dolls a threat to morality, complaining that the revealing clothes of the "Jewish" toy -- already banned in the kingdom -- are offensive to Islam.

The Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, as the religious police are officially known, lists the dolls on a section of its Web site devoted to items deemed offensive to the conservative Saudi interpreation of Islam.

"Jewish Barbie dolls, with their revealing clothes and shameful postures, accessories and tools are a symbol of decadence to the perverted West. Let us beware of her dangers and be careful," said a poster on the site.

The poster, plastered with pictures of Barbie in short dresses and tight pants, and with a few of her accessories, reads: "A strange request. A little girl asks her mother: Mother, I want jeans, a low-cut shirt, and a swimsuit like Barbie."

Such posters are distributed to schools and hung in the streets by the religious police, or muttawa, an independent body affiliated with the office of the Prime Minister.

Vice police officials were not available for comment Monday.

Sheik Abdulla al-Merdas, a preacher in a Riyadh mosque, said the muttawa take their anti-Barbie campaign to the shops, confiscating dolls from sellers and imposing a fine.

Although illegal, Barbies, the creation of California-based Mattel Inc., are found on the black market, where a contraband doll could cost 100 riyals (US$27) or more.

"It is no problem that little girls play with dolls. But these dolls should not have the developed body of a woman, and wear revealing clothes," al-Merdas said.

"These revealing clothes will be imprinted in their minds and they will refuse to wear the clothes we are used to as Muslims," the sheik said.

Women in Saudi Arabia must cover themselves from head to toe with a black cloak in public. They are not allowed to drive and cannot go out in public unaccompanied by a male family member.

Other items listed as violations on the site included Valentine's Day gifts, perfume bottles in the shape of women's bodies, clothing with logos that include a cross, and decorative copies of religious items -- offensive because they could be damaged and thus insult Islam.

An exhibition of all the violating items is found in the holy city of Medina, and mobile tours go around to schools and other public areas in the kingdom.

The muttawa act as a monitoring and punishing agency, propagating conservative Islamic beliefs according to the teachings of the puritan Wahhabi sect, adhered to the kingdom since the 18th century, and enforcing strict moral code.

The muttawa patrol the streets of the kingdom, preventing men from mingling with women, enforcing strict Islamic dress for women, chasing worshippers late for prayers, and punishing shop keepers who stay open during prayer hours. They sometimes work with a police officer who can enforce legal punishments on people deemed violators.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:27 AM
I recently read Jean Sasson's "Princess Trilogy" about life as a woman in Saudi Arabia. Because of these damn morality police and the Wahhabist interpretation of Islam in general women don't have any rights and every other thing is "indecent". It's a bad situation.

Old 09-10-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Well her improbable measurements give girls false goals as to what a woman should look like, but is it immoral? No. But if they want we can send them a bunch of George Bush dolls.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:28 AM   #4
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Barbie is immoral. We all know the facts about if she were a real female she would not menstruate and would suffer severe osteoperosis. She spent years hooked up with Ken before trotting down the aisle, she dresses like a hooker and has enough pan cake on her face to do the entire cast of 'Cats'.

That aside, we all know Barbie is just Barbie, I had them when I was young and so will my daughter if she wants them. They are just a doll and do not factually represent any physical person.

No one should aspire to be Barbie. Though these guys are getting a little over the top by our comparitively easy going Western ideals.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Single western women are the biggest threat to Saudi Arabia
Old 09-10-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Yeah, cos there's a huge queue of them waiting to corrupt the men of that region.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I hate to say this but I'd cut my throat before I'd marry a Saudi man. They are dictators as husbands!!
Old 09-10-2003, 11:48 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Yeah, cos there's a huge queue of them waiting to corrupt the men of that region.
If there is, they probably can't get into the country. I doubt they would issue the required visa.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:09 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Barbie is immoral. We all know the facts about if she were a real female she would not menstruate and would suffer severe osteoperosis.
Beyond that, if she were a real female she would have to *walk on all fours* because of her measurements!!!!

this reminds me of how the only American TV program India received for years was "Baywatch." Of course they grow up with a bad idea of American morals!
Old 09-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I wonder why they don't object to the Ken dolls?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:38 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM
I read the article and decided not to post it. I have been cutting back on my posting time here in FYM partly for a break, and partly because I am so busy teaching and correcting.

The article made me laugh. I think I have mentioned here that I used to work Security at the Ritz-Carlton in Boston. There were many from the Saudi Royal family that stayed with us. Some were decent people, and some came to hide during the Gulf War.

The Princes loved the college girls from Emmerson college. They would pick them up, bring them to the bar, liquor them up, and give them lots of jewelry ect. By day three or four, the nice looking young college girl was not acting so innocent any more. The style of clothes the girls wore changed....and two times while driving girls with the princes up to their floor, the prince had someone video taping while he had the girls flashing various body parts.

Others from the Royal family run a scam where they advertise that they are looking for models. They pay to fly the person to Boston. The person checks in thinking that the Model agency is paying for the room. In reality, it is a member of the royal family and they are not looking for a model. They are looking for sex, and if you do not put out, they do not pay nor do they get you a return ticket to go home. I have seen them pull this on men and women.

I have seen the King of Saudi Arabia tell a doorman that if he were in Saudi Arabia he would have his hands and his balls for helping his wife out of the limo as she had stumbled and he touched her arm.

I have seen a prince buy seven of everything from Victoria's Secrets and have it delivered to the hotel.

I have seen the entire staff be fired by royalty because there was no one to trim the King's beard in the barber shop on the 4th of July.

This barbie thing....makes me laugh...and laugh...because the people over there have no clue how much their royalty love America.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

They also love Bahrain. Apparently, Allah cannot see the drinking and partying that goes on there. I bet you can buy a Barbie there.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:03 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:27 AM
I probably would have been fired for telling the King off. I just can't fathom a culture with such hatred towards a gender. Man I love women, I go out of my way to show the upmost respect to women. Sometimes it gets me in trouble, it sounds like it would get me in lots of trouble over there.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:28 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting post Dread!! nbc why am I not surprised at Bahrain??
Old 09-10-2003, 07:05 PM   #15
War Child

Quote:
She spent years hooked up with Ken before trotting down the aisle
I think this is setting a good example for young girls though. Just take off Kens pants and it's obvious Barbie was dating him for his personality.