Saudi police say Barbie dolls a threat to morality - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2003, 07:19 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:36 PM
that's because he couldn't remove his underwear. Barbie, however, had no underwear. Reminds me of my mom yelling at my sister and I for leaving our Barbies lying around naked as if it was scandalous or something.

On that note, why do the Saudis think Barbie is Jewish? I mean, what makes Barbie Jewish?

Old 09-10-2003, 07:24 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
On that note, why do the Saudis think Barbie is Jewish? I mean, what makes Barbie Jewish?
Probably a way of further "stigmatizing" Barbie.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
It's comments like those that also make me not as much of a fan of Saudi Arabia as the Bush Administration I guess.

Melon
Old 09-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's comments like those that also make me not as much of a fan of Saudi Arabia as the Bush Administration I guess.

Melon
Generally speaking I agree. However I do believe that there are plenty of decent people in that country, they just aren't in positions of power.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:10 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 11:06 AM

Yet another reason why I'm SO glad to be born an Australian. And some people here in Australia wonder why people come to us as 'illegal' immigrants from these middle eastern countries - Gees, when a kid can't even play with a barbie doll....What a sad world we live in
Old 09-11-2003, 01:52 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:06 PM
haha...I seriously don't think any harm will come from kids not being allowed to play with barbies.
greater restrictions to human rights have been done with far more serious consequences
Old 09-12-2003, 04:33 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Melon

... or the clinton administration... or bush 1... or reagan...

the united states has a history of over looking things done by the Saudi's... wether that be with a Republican or a Democrat in office. I also dislike Bush's handling of Saudi Arabia... but Clinton played the same game.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:01 PM   #23
New Yorker

hmm...true. and come to think of it, isn't plastic made from oil? so aren't the saudis prejudice against their own product, a product that our presidents love?
Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:36 PM

I really don't understand why Barbie gets such a bad rap....I had a trunk full of Barbies as a kid and never once thought I would grow up to look like her. It's a toy; if parents are worried about a child's body image they should take an active role in reassuring thier child that they are fine the way they are.

However, I fully understand why Barbie is the devil in places like Saudi Arabia. I believe it's more of a woman issue than a "Barbie" issue.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:58 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
I really don't understand why Barbie gets such a bad rap....I had a trunk full of Barbies as a kid and never once thought I would grow up to look like her. It's a toy; if parents are worried about a child's body image they should take an active role in reassuring thier child that they are fine the way they are.

However, I fully understand why Barbie is the devil in places like Saudi Arabia. I believe it's more of a woman issue than a "Barbie" issue.
You're right. It's part of the "keep women hidden" mentality that rules that country. Barbie doesn't fit their "female modesty" rules since she doesn't come with a veil.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #26
War Child

Some folks have odd ideas about what's morally right, that's for sure. I have a sister-in-law who I very much respect, but once told me that Star Trek had "stinky morals". I was so astonished that I couldn't stick up for my Federation friends.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
Old 09-17-2003, 09:48 PM   #27
The Fly

I know of some Saudi Royal girls, and yea, they are not what you would have pictured.... I mean, they are as modern as one can get, and bloody rich...

Saudi is just an example, of how a few rich people can screw a country by their morphed, self-greedy ideals....

Really, most countries are just as screwed...

Saudi has a messed up form of opression towards women that the Wahabbis have implemented... The West has this ideal of freedom and equality for women, but, when you look at all the magazines on the shelf of the grocery store, what do you see, naked women....

Lets face it, this world is messed up...
Old 06-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Speaking of the "morality police."
Did you hear about the girls that burned to death in a school? Their school was burning, but they were not allowed to leave, because they weren't "properly attired." So, they stayed in
the school and were burned alive.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:40 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Okay since we bring this one back to life, here is a great blog, The Religious Policeman - check it.

http://muttawa.blogspot.com/
Old 06-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #30
The Fly

Local Time: 02:36 AM
The "Jewish" Barbie doll caught my eyes as well. But rather than being surprised I just rolled my eyes….

Thos regimes have a way of explaining so many things with a Jewish conspiracy. Usually the Israeli 'Mosad' (our CIA) is involved in those crazy paranoid explanations as well.
Just one example – according to some of them, 9/11 was actually the work of the 'Mosad'. Sad thing is, a lot of people there believe it.