Sarin found in Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the BBC:

Gen Kimmitt said the dispersal of the nerve agent from a device such as the homemade bomb was "limited".

"The former regime had declared all such rounds destroyed before the 1991 Gulf War," he said.

However, a senior coalition source has told the BBC the round does not signal the discovery of weapons of mass destruction or the escalation of insurgent activity.

He said the round dated back to the Iran-Iraq war and coalition officials were not sure whether the fighters even knew what it contained.

I guess it was only going to be a matter of time untill people came across some of these leftovers. I just hope they don't have many more of these and use the leftover sarin for a bigger bomb.

Really? Nerve gas found in Iraq? how can that be? Saddam Hussein said there were no chemical weapons.......

Gee.....you don't suppose he LIED, do you??

*note the sarcasm*

I hope this teaches a lesson to all the chickenshit countries (like France) who didn't join the coalition in the first place, and the countries who ran with their tails between their legs (like the Spaniards),

G-d bless America and the coalition.

i wouldn't go nuts over just one cannister...

but i'm sure there's more... somewhere out there... burried in the desert i'd imagine. and it'll be discovered eventually... even the most hardened dissenter acknowledges that this stuff was there at one point, and no one's really sure where in the dickens it all went. so just like the claim that al qaeda was in iraq has come true, the claim that there were stockpiles of chemicals will eventually come true, as well... maybe today, maybe tommorow, maybe 10 years from now, maybe ironicly wrapped in a basket with osama in tow on november 1, 2004 :wink: but it'll come out eventually. the stuff just doesn't disapear.

Last edited:
AchtungBono said:
Really? Nerve gas found in Iraq? how can that be? Saddam Hussein said there were no chemical weapons.......

*note the sarcasm*

I hope this teaches a lesson to all the chickenshit countries (like France) who didn't join the coalition in the first place, and the countries who ran with their tails between their legs (like the Spaniards),

*sarcasm on* i'm glad the brave and glory coalition started that war so that all the WMDs are at a safe place now and no terrorist has access to it *sarcasm off*

I hope now you get an idea that some people who were against that coalition were affraid of exactly such a situation, war - chaos - all Weapons who were in iraq can be sold to anyone.

I discussed that subject before with Sting2 if he thougt it could be possible that the WMDs were there when powell made his speach but just were sold to extremists because during the war there was no control (neiter from saddam nor from the coalition) over people who might have had these weapons.

But i'm allways happy when coalition forces find this stuff before the terrorists.

AchtungBono said:

*note the sarcasm*

So this is the arsenal of chemicals Saddam has been hiding? Hold your glee for when the stockpile is really found. Then you can gloat all you want, if gloating is really the most important issue here.
And there's no need for the condescension toward Spain and France.

I'd just like to say that I have never seen this sentence in FYM before:

"And there's no need for the condescension toward the United States"

It is a fact that Saddam failed to Verifiably disarm of all WMD and has yet to account for thousands of liters of Anthrax and hundreds of pounds of Mustard gas according to United Nations Weapons inspectors.

Klaus,

"*sarcasm on* i'm glad the brave and glory coalition started that war so that all the WMDs are at a safe place now and no terrorist has access to it *sarcasm off*"

Guess which leader invaded and attacked four countries in the Middle East, murdered 1.7 million people, and used WMD more times than any other leader in history? Guess where that leader is today because of US and coalition actions?

"I hope now you get an idea that some people who were against that coalition were affraid of exactly such a situation, war - chaos - all Weapons who were in iraq can be sold to anyone."

You think it would be better to keep WMD in the hands of a leader that had used it more times than anyone else, invaded and attacked four countries, and murdered 1.7 million people? Do you also think it would be impossible that leader would himself transfer such materials to others in the absense of any invasion?

STING2: I understood the reaction of the US of Mr. Bush sen., the war after Mr. Hussein invaded Kuwait.
I would have understood a war against Iraq directly after they used their WMDs against Iran or against their own people.
I understood the air-strike of Israel against the plant which was able to produce weapon-enriched plutonium.
It simply looks less believable to me because of the timing.
When did Saddam last invade another country or use his WMDs?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...may18,1,2344706.story?coll=la-headlines-world

THE CONFLICT IN IRAQ

Shell Released Sarin, U.S. Says

A roadside bomb in Iraq may have emitted traces of the nerve gas. More testing is planned.

By Bob Drogin
Times Staff Writer

May 18, 2004

WASHINGTON ? An artillery shell rigged to explode in a roadside bomb in Baghdad instead dispersed a tiny amount of sarin, a nerve gas that Saddam Hussein produced in the 1980s, U.S. officials said Monday.

Officials cautioned that field tests had identified traces of sarin but that more sophisticated tests would be conducted outside Iraq. During the invasion of Iraq last year, U.S. forces reported many discoveries of poison gases or germ weapons, but further testing showed all to be false alarms.

The Bush administration justified going to war in Iraq chiefly because of concerns that Hussein's regime was producing and stockpiling sarin and other banned weapons in violation of U.N. resolutions. No illicit stockpiles, nor programs to produce them, have been found since the invasion 14 months ago.

Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the chief U.S. military spokesman in Iraq, said during a news conference in Baghdad that a U.S. convoy found the 155-millimeter shell rigged to explode along a road several days ago but the device detonated before soldiers could disable it. He said field tests showed "very, very small traces" of sarin.

Kimmitt said he did not believe that the insurgents who planted the bomb knew that the shell contained chemicals rather than explosives. The specially designed "binary" shell is designed to mix chemicals from separate chambers, producing a lethal gas, only after it is fired.

Exploding the shell on the road, he said, is "virtually ineffective as a chemical weapon." He added, "It just blows up and you have chemicals spewing out ? minor amounts going in different directions. It's ineffective."

Kimmitt said two soldiers who transported the material were treated for minor exposure to chemical agents and released. The area "is not a continuing threat" and "needs no special marking off [or] decontamination," he added.

Kimmitt said the chemical munition appeared to be left over from the 1980s, when Baghdad secretly produced hundreds of tons of poison gas. United Nations records show that the sarin Iraq produced in the mid-1980s degraded quickly, however, and was no longer lethal by the early 1990s.

Still, if sarin is confirmed, officials said, Pentagon planners must consider the possibility that Iraqi insurgents have access to other chemical weapons and will seek to use them against U.S. forces. Unless treated quickly with antidotes, sarin that has not degraded can cause death.

"What is of concern is that there may be more of them out there," said a U.S. official, who requested anonymity.

Hussein's regime insisted before the war that it no longer had chemical weapons. Most Western intelligence agencies were convinced that Baghdad retained at least some leftover supplies from the 1980s, and U.S. intelligence officials argued that Baghdad had secretly produced hundreds of tons more in recent years.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said the initial field tests were "not perfect," and he called for caution.

"We have to be careful," Rumsfeld told reporters after a speech to the Heritage Foundation, a Washington think tank. "We can't take something that's inaccurate."

If sarin is confirmed, Rumsfeld said, weapons experts will seek to determine where the shell is from, how it came to be used in a roadside bomb "and what might it mean in terms of the risks to our forces."

The Bush administration was embarrassed last year when U.S. intelligence agencies publicly claimed that they had found two Iraqi trucks designed to produce germ weapons. But experts quickly challenged those claims, and the CIA recently backed away from its assertions.

Back
Top Bottom