Sarah Palin resigns as Governor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all these snide mentions of the ELITES by INDY. I find it especially hilarious because many of the people he'd brand as the ELITES (for better or worse I'm surrounded by them) are people who followed what conservatives say they support: they worked their butts off, tirelessly, to get to where they are in life and achieved things because they were smart but more importantly because they were driven to succeed and make something of themselves. But as soon as they went to those bastions of evil we call elite colleges, well then, it was all over, they were the librul elites who should be shunned. Interestingly enough it is also precisely this group that takes care of itself and is entirely financially self-sufficient (another thing that conservatives yammer on about constantly), but they've somehow become everything that is wrong with the country and the world.

Instead, ignorance of the world at large often disguised as "folksiness" is celebrated as something to aspire to.

Who are the elites?

The idea that I might be among the "elites" is laughable to me. But I guess my views and my college education make me one of them?

Instead, ignorance of the world at large often disguised as "folksiness" is celebrated as something to aspire to.

Working with inner city youth, I encounter the same celebration of ignorance only it's disguised as being "street."

Something tells me that kind of glorification of ignorance would be frowned upon by the same conservatives that celebrate it in "folksy" folks.

folksy  
–adjective,
1. friendly or neighborly; sociable.
2. very informal; familiar; unceremonious: The politician affected a folksy style.
3. belonging to the common people, esp. in regard to a conscious use of mannerisms, speech patterns, attitudes, etc.: folksy humor.

NOTICE !!! No mention of intelligence, education level or political ideology.

Which leads me to think; you might be an elitist if you think "folksy" is a pejorative.

Which leads me to think; you might be an elitist if you think "folksy" is a pejorative.

when used to avoid having to discuss complex issues because you don't know anything about them and are a literal blank slate when it comes to foreign policy, yes.

i think it comes down to the fact that conservatives are simply more sentimental and romantic than liberals -- and politicians who can evoke false memories of a seemingly simpler time and age are going to go far with said people.

This has little to do with the current discussion re: folksiness, but the thing I keep coming back to regarding Palin is how intentionally divisive she is. During the presidential campaign, she very intentionally set up an us versus them climate, one that I believe is damaging to the US, and would serve to further widen the gulf across political lines and cultures.

An image that still comes to mind for me is from her rallies, where she spoke out against Obama and the liberal elites, talking about Obama's "palling around with terrorists" and such. I remember one clip in particular I'd seen, where a reporter was talking to crowds milling about after one of her speeches, after she'd gotten them all fired up. They were overtly racist, and it reminded me of what a lynch mob must have been like. Those images made me literally feel sick. She not only ignored this behaviour, but I believe she encouraged it.

Even McCain, in the latter days of the campaign, began to refute the lies about Obama. Remember that clip of him telling the woman in the town hall meeting that Obama is a good American citizen? I think his conscience and good sense took over, and he decided he wasn't going to take part in those sorts of attacks, that no political campaign was worth that. That's one incident that allows me to retain a shred of respect for McCain. But Palin continued relentlessly till the end.

I'm not saying that the majority, or even many of the people at those rallies held the same beliefs that those people did. Most were decent people, I'm sure, who got caught up in a wrong minded political movement put forth by a charismatic politician who has little beneath the surface. Still, when I think of those incidents, they evoke a kind of visceral reaction in me. I think that for that woman to be in any position of power in the US would be a dire mistake, and ultimately dangerous.

On a positive note, the more she puts herself in the spotlight, the more media attention she gets, the more stunningly stupid things she says, so whoever runs against her in the next presidential primaries/elections has plenty of ammunition against her.

I think that a lot of conservatives can also see right through her. Last summer I overheard a conversation in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska, in a small town. The men were talking about Obama and his progress so far. They seemed to agree that McCain was just fine, but they couldn't get past Palin and her idiocy. They were truly disgusted with McCain for picking her. So they had voted for Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom