Sarah Palin resigns as Governor - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #631
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 2,451
Local Time: 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrobatic View Post
She should've pulled that zipper down a lil further to compete with her son-in-law or should I say the father of her grandchild! I'm all Republican but leaning way lib if she has even a shot. . .
" I'm all Republican but leaning way lib if she has even a shot..."

That's why I love her...she even pisses Republican's off...Gotta love that.
__________________

__________________
Harry Vest is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #632
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Women will be equal competitors with men when we don't rely on men's weakness for attractiveness.
Women will be equal competitors with men (if competition is how we're going to frame it) when they don't hold back from using every competitive advantage at their disposal to win. That's how men play the game.
__________________

__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #633
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,331
Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Women will be equal competitors with men (if competition is how we're going to frame it) when they don't hold back from using every competitive advantage at their disposal to win.
Then we'll have to agree to disagree.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-21-2009, 10:33 PM   #634
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 02:36 AM
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #635
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 02:36 AM
Anyway, to reduce what I'm saying to the idea that a woman should shake her booty to get ahead insults both men and women.

Rather, what I'm suggesting is that to deny attributes that make us uniquely female doesn't make us equal, it feeds into a patriarchal paradigm.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #636
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:36 PM





One chose to shake her booty and sell her soul- the other chose not to.
One is deemed more respectable than the other.
You do the math.

<>
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #637
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 02:36 AM
And along comes <> to demonstrate that any measure of female sex appeal in a man's world is unworthy of credibility.

As long as women allow that to continue, men will be dominant.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #638
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,331
Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Rather, what I'm suggesting is that to deny attributes that make us uniquely female doesn't make us equal, it feeds into a patriarchal paradigm.
You initially didn't say anything about denying anything. You said we should USE these attributes to get what we want. Two different messages, the first of which not only feeds the patriarchal paradigm, it supports it and legitimizes it.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #639
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
You initially didn't say anything about denying anything. You said we should USE these attributes to get what we want. Two different messages, the first of which not only feeds the patriarchal paradigm, it supports it and legitimizes it.
Semantics? It's the same message. However, my message is to use our unique attributes on our own terms. You're defining it from a male perspective.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #640
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,331
Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Semantics? It's the same message.
You may think so. Rearranging the words does change the meaning.


So then, you think what Palin's doing is perfectly fine? Using her looks to get what she wants, rather than her merit? After all, it's what she's got, and she's using to get what she wants And if a qualified woman loses because she's not as attractive, beautiful, stylish (all the same thing according to you), well, then, tough shit, she didn't deserve it because she didn't meet your definition of pretty, (beautiful, attractive, stylish)?
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #641
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
So then, you think what Palin's doing is perfectly fine?
To be perfectly honest, I don't pay enough attention to her to know how far she's pushing the envelope. If she's a runner and poses for a runner's magazine in a fairly standard runner's outfit against the backdrop of her political persona and happens to have nice legs (or whatever is causing the backlash), yes I think that's perfectly fine. Why shouldn't it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Using her looks to get what she wants, rather than her merit? After all, it's what she's got, and she's using to get what she wants
I haven't made looks versus merit a dichotomy in this discussion. You have. I clearly stated I believe in substance over style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
And if a qualified woman loses because she's not as attractive, beautiful, stylish (all the same thing according to you), well, then, tough shit, she didn't deserve it because she didn't meet your definition of pretty, (beautiful, attractive, stylish)?
And on the same shallow level, you could also ponder that if a more attractive woman wins then that must be the reason and she couldn't possibly be as qualified. It's a no-win comparison.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #642
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,271
Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
And along comes <> to demonstrate that any measure of female sex appeal in a man's world is unworthy of credibility.

As long as women allow that to continue, men will be dominant.
Lucky for us, women these days are able to spot men like <> a mile away.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #643
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 03:36 AM
I don't find Palin attractive, it's her ideas I agree with. Like I agreed with Thatcher's ideas.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #644
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Lucky for us, women these days are able to spot men like <> a mile away.
Right. Except that many women also endorse that any measure of female sex appeal is unworthy of credibility.

Carrying yourself with authority and sex appeal is fine and commonplace for powerful men yet somehow out of bounds for women.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #645
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,331
Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Right. Except that many women also endorse that any measure of female sex appeal is unworthy of credibility.

Carrying yourself with authority and sex appeal is fine and commonplace for powerful men yet somehow out of bounds for women.

Quote me please.

And it's funny how you keep elaborating so you can change what you said initially.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Obama got elected....... boosterjuice Free Your Mind 200 12-01-2008 12:07 PM
2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11 purpleoscar Free Your Mind Archive 1010 11-04-2008 06:27 PM
The Rumor / FactCheck Thread Dreadsox Free Your Mind 25 10-21-2008 09:49 PM
so...Mike Huckabee. Harry Vest Free Your Mind Archive 493 02-06-2008 10:01 AM
AdamPorn elizabeth PLEBA Archive 63 12-12-2001 02:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com