Sarah Palin resigns as Governor - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,994
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Palin's not a real 'redneck' and no one in here has ever called her one until financeguy just did. For what that's worth.
I guess the use of the term "high falutin" led to the inference that he was calling her a redneck. I don't know.

GWB isn't really a redneck either but it's fun to call him one. I do think that he liked to perpetuate that image of himself for certain reasons.
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #272
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybab gnuthca View Post
Sarah Palin makes a mockery out of extreme liberals and is a slap in the face to all macho men and self-declared alpha males who can't bear the thought of a woman in the white house.

Do what you gotta do, Mrs. Palin. Don't let jealousy, sexism and the bastards grind you down.

How does she make a mockery out of extreme liberals? Don't you mean she makes a mockery out of extreme conservatives?

I found very few of the "can't bear the thought of a woman in the white house" crowd with Palin, I saw a lot with Hillary, but very few with Palin.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #273
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I guess the use of the term "high falutin" led to the inference that he was calling her a redneck. I don't know.
Well, highfalutin and redneck are mutually exclusive, so I guess I can see that. But if you take that idea too far, you get to the point where pretty much every presidential or vice-presidential candidate we've ever had warrants the label. Because you don't get elected to high political office in this country without going through a certain amount of the ritual show of, Look at me, I'm a hardworkin' family guy/gal just like you, just look at all the tough times I've known (but a good kinda tough, mind you, builds character), and unlike my out-of-touch, Big Idea-spouting opponent, I understand the simple needs and wants of real everyday Americans, blah blah blah blah.

It's true some go about this more melodramatically than others, though.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #274
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Palin must just hit the perfect intersection of gender, class and right/left politics that people can't resist poking each other with.

She was plucked from obscurity by one desperate man in a failed attempt to even the voting ticket and no longer poses any threat of holding high office.

Get over it, people!
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #275
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Haha, that too. Though it could be an interesting enough discussion if it weren't for all the crossfire poking...then again, that response makes her what she is, so probably a pointless hope.

I do expect her to continue to be a significant player on our political scene though, I think you might be wrong there.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 10:03 PM
What bothers me about Palin and her brand of conservative politics is not that I disagree with the ideas (though I do). It's that it's so anti-intellectual. It's cheap, it's underhanded, cynical. And it's dishonest.

I feel that she resigned from being governor so she could be free to cash in on the popularity she's gained in the last year.

The irony is, that especially on issues like the stimulus, the effectiveness of government in solving problems, etc, I'm actually pretty conservative. But the way these issues are argued by the right is just nauseating.
__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #277
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I do expect her to continue to be a significant player on our political scene though, I think you might be wrong there.
Could be, particularly if the divide deepens between right and left, have and have nots etc. Like it or not, her down-home, working girl, pit-bull mom appeal speaks to a large, non-urban demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
The irony is, that especially on issues like the stimulus, the effectiveness of government in solving problems, etc, I'm actually pretty conservative. But the way these issues are argued by the right is just nauseating.
Agreed. I would describe my views as fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #278
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Like it or not, her down-home, working girl, pit-bull mom appeal speaks to a large, non-urban demographic.
Never been any doubt about that. Just like Obama's image strongly appeals to a different demographic. The question becomes, how much capacity do you grant the less...zealous (bitter?) among your fellow human beings to make their decisions as to whom and what they support, above and beyond the pull of an "image."




Welcome "home" Sean
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #279
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 03:03 AM
^ For as long as there has been an 'image' aspect of politics, people vote primarily with their hearts not heads.

Paradoxically, the more slamming Palin receives, the more support she will get from those who feel marginalized by her detractors.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #280
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 04:03 AM
The ones who truly feel marginalized, yes, I agree. (And I had better add, I mean within American society, not FYM. )
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #281
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
(And I had better add, I mean within American society, not FYM. )
Yes! Thank you for clarifying.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #282
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
What bothers me about Palin and her brand of conservative politics is not that I disagree with the ideas (though I do). It's that it's so anti-intellectual. It's cheap, it's underhanded, cynical. And it's dishonest.

I feel that she resigned from being governor so she could be free to cash in on the popularity she's gained in the last year.

The irony is, that especially on issues like the stimulus, the effectiveness of government in solving problems, etc, I'm actually pretty conservative. But the way these issues are argued by the right is just nauseating.
Great post. Good to see you again...
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #283
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Palin must just hit the perfect intersection of gender, class and right/left politics that people can't resist poking each other with.

She was plucked from obscurity by one desperate man in a failed attempt to even the voting ticket and no longer poses any threat of holding high office.

Get over it, people!


i don't blame Palin for being wildly unqualified.

i blame McCain for putting this farce a heartbeat away from the (theoretical) presidency and for his team thinking that her vagina was going to lure the Hillary vote and energize the GOP base.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #284
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 03:03 AM
^ Totally. But that was 8 months ago.

The continued tone and intensity around her makes it sound like she's still *this* close.

Quit it or it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
^ Totally. But that was 8 months ago.

The continued tone and intensity around her makes it sound like she's still *this* close.

Quit it or it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.


you're right.

her whole reason for being is to get people to talk about her so that she can get mad and complain about people who are talking about her.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Obama got elected....... boosterjuice Free Your Mind 200 12-01-2008 12:07 PM
2008 U.S. Presidential Campaign Discussion Thread-Part 11 purpleoscar Free Your Mind Archive 1010 11-04-2008 06:27 PM
The Rumor / FactCheck Thread Dreadsox Free Your Mind 25 10-21-2008 09:49 PM
so...Mike Huckabee. Harry Vest Free Your Mind Archive 493 02-06-2008 10:01 AM
AdamPorn elizabeth PLEBA Archive 63 12-12-2001 02:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com