Sarah Palin resigns as Governor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Palin's not a real 'redneck' and no one in here has ever called her one until financeguy just did. For what that's worth.

I guess the use of the term "high falutin" led to the inference that he was calling her a redneck. I don't know.

GWB isn't really a redneck either but it's fun to call him one. I do think that he liked to perpetuate that image of himself for certain reasons.

Sarah Palin makes a mockery out of extreme liberals and is a slap in the face to all macho men and self-declared alpha males who can't bear the thought of a woman in the white house.

Do what you gotta do, Mrs. Palin. Don't let jealousy, sexism and the bastards grind you down.

How does she make a mockery out of extreme liberals? Don't you mean she makes a mockery out of extreme conservatives?

I found very few of the "can't bear the thought of a woman in the white house" crowd with Palin, I saw a lot with Hillary, but very few with Palin.

I guess the use of the term "high falutin" led to the inference that he was calling her a redneck. I don't know.
Well, highfalutin and redneck are mutually exclusive, so I guess I can see that. But if you take that idea too far, you get to the point where pretty much every presidential or vice-presidential candidate we've ever had warrants the label. Because you don't get elected to high political office in this country without going through a certain amount of the ritual show of, Look at me, I'm a hardworkin' family guy/gal just like you, just look at all the tough times I've known (but a good kinda tough, mind you, builds character), and unlike my out-of-touch, Big Idea-spouting opponent, I understand the simple needs and wants of real everyday Americans, blah blah blah blah.

It's true some go about this more melodramatically than others, though.

Palin must just hit the perfect intersection of gender, class and right/left politics that people can't resist poking each other with.

She was plucked from obscurity by one desperate man in a failed attempt to even the voting ticket and no longer poses any threat of holding high office.

Get over it, people!

Haha, that too. Though it could be an interesting enough discussion if it weren't for all the crossfire poking...then again, that response makes her what she is, so probably a pointless hope.

I do expect her to continue to be a significant player on our political scene though, I think you might be wrong there.

What bothers me about Palin and her brand of conservative politics is not that I disagree with the ideas (though I do). It's that it's so anti-intellectual. It's cheap, it's underhanded, cynical. And it's dishonest.

I feel that she resigned from being governor so she could be free to cash in on the popularity she's gained in the last year.

The irony is, that especially on issues like the stimulus, the effectiveness of government in solving problems, etc, I'm actually pretty conservative. But the way these issues are argued by the right is just nauseating.

I do expect her to continue to be a significant player on our political scene though, I think you might be wrong there.

Could be, particularly if the divide deepens between right and left, have and have nots etc. Like it or not, her down-home, working girl, pit-bull mom appeal speaks to a large, non-urban demographic.

The irony is, that especially on issues like the stimulus, the effectiveness of government in solving problems, etc, I'm actually pretty conservative. But the way these issues are argued by the right is just nauseating.

Agreed. I would describe my views as fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Like it or not, her down-home, working girl, pit-bull mom appeal speaks to a large, non-urban demographic.
Never been any doubt about that. Just like Obama's image strongly appeals to a different demographic. The question becomes, how much capacity do you grant the less...zealous (bitter?) among your fellow human beings to make their decisions as to whom and what they support, above and beyond the pull of an "image."

Welcome "home" Sean :wave:

Last edited:
^ For as long as there has been an 'image' aspect of politics, people vote primarily with their hearts not heads.

Paradoxically, the more slamming Palin receives, the more support she will get from those who feel marginalized by her detractors.

The ones who truly feel marginalized, yes, I agree. (And I had better add, I mean within American society, not FYM. :wink: )

What bothers me about Palin and her brand of conservative politics is not that I disagree with the ideas (though I do). It's that it's so anti-intellectual. It's cheap, it's underhanded, cynical. And it's dishonest.

I feel that she resigned from being governor so she could be free to cash in on the popularity she's gained in the last year.

Great post. Good to see you again...

Palin must just hit the perfect intersection of gender, class and right/left politics that people can't resist poking each other with.

She was plucked from obscurity by one desperate man in a failed attempt to even the voting ticket and no longer poses any threat of holding high office.

Get over it, people!

i don't blame Palin for being wildly unqualified.

i blame McCain for putting this farce a heartbeat away from the (theoretical) presidency and for his team thinking that her vagina was going to lure the Hillary vote and energize the GOP base.

^ Totally. But that was 8 months ago.

The continued tone and intensity around her makes it sound like she's still *this* close.

Quit it or it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. :angry:

^ Totally. But that was 8 months ago.

The continued tone and intensity around her makes it sound like she's still *this* close.

you're right.

her whole reason for being is to get people to talk about her so that she can get mad and complain about people who are talking about her.

True, but I think the tone comes from the fact that there are so many that are already "Palin 2012", that and the pure entertainment factor... It's the Paris Hilton factor...

Welcome "home" Sean :wave:

Thanks! It's been hard to visit Interference lately. .. even though I'm on break, it just seems I have less time. Having a ten month old son might have something to do with it, but :shrug: I don't know. :)

This mess was in the Times this morning. Her fans are as muddled as she is. Is this what she'll do as President? Quit before her term is up because it's her "duty" to quit?

"It should be so obvious to you," she said. "It is because I love Alaska this much, sir, that I feel that it is my duty to avoid the unproductive, typical politics-as-usual lame-duck session in one's last year in office. . . .

And Karen Kemp, on vacation from Hamilton, N.D., was one of many who wore a T-shirt with Palin's image outlined by a heart and the words "Sarah, We Still Love You."

"So many people like her conservativeness, the fact that she holds her family values high, and she believes in a good work ethic," Kemp said.
Good work ethic? Quitting before the job is done demonstrates a good work ethic?

Sarah Palin hands over power in Alaska - Los Angeles Times

Let me ask something to all you Palin detractors that have posted in here.

If you had to vote for:

A. Sarah Palin or

B. George W Bush

who would you vote for?

Sarah Palin makes a mockery out of extreme liberals and is a slap in the face to all macho men and self-declared alpha males who can't bear the thought of a woman in the white house.

Do what you gotta do, Mrs. Palin. Don't let jealousy, sexism and the bastards grind you down.

:lol: That's rich, coming from you. :|

Did anyone happen to catch Conan last night? He had William Shatner read a part of Palin's resignation speech. It was hilarious.
Edit: Found a link - http://www.hulu.com/watch/85839/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-shatner-does-palin

I think it's for the U.S. only, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom