Same Sex Marriage Thread - Part III - Page 67 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #991
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Plus, if they play their cards right, they could get a free handy in the shower. Bonus.
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #992
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Plus, if they play their cards right, they could get a free handy in the shower. Bonus.


It certainly helps when you intuitively know how the equipment works.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #993
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
All thes professional sports teams have one thing in common: they are all made up of employees. The players are hired and fired at will, and they compete for a paycheck paid for by people buying merchandise and tickets for entertainment events.

Fuck whatever macho culture may exist. These are professional adults capable of acting like adults and adhering to whatever rules of conduct and behavior their employer expects of them. If someone doesn't like the thought of sharing a locker room with a gay guy, that's really his problem, and one he needs to get over much in the same way a lawyer or accountant would have to get over his issues with a gay person in his workplace. It's not on the gay person to make you comfortable. It's up to you to manage your shit.

It's just a job. There aren't lives at stake. It's not the military.
I think it is still, by far, a cultural issue. One I never understood, but is widely accepted for some reason.

When two straight girls sleep in the same bed, it's ok, they're friends. When two straight men do this, it raises eyebrows, but ok, they're friends. Nothing would happen either way.
When a guy and a girl share a bed, eyebrows will perhaps be raised, but nothing might happen as they are just friends. Though one can argue that the guy will always try to make a move, but that's another cultural issue...

Yet when a gay person shares a bed with another person of the same gender, it is somewhat expected that they will make a move. That you cannot shower with a gay person without having them jump you. How the heck did people ever get this view?

Because I just do not understand it. It's just somehow different for gay people, it's awkward or whatever. But why? Sorry, but I'm not a rabbit. I don't mate with everyone I see, I too, have my types. If you're not my type, you're not my type and I don't look at you any different than all my other friends. I've shared beds with plenty of both male and female friends, for sleeping purposes. Did I try jumping any of them? Hell no. Did I want to? Eh, hell no? It's just the same for both, and if I happen to like someone, be it male or female, I like that person. But that doesn't mean I'm suddenly a rabid sexual deviant that cannot control their urges or whatever..

The whole issue with gay athletes and locker room situation, how is that even an issue? I just don't get it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #994
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 04:14 AM
nm.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #995
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
GG, I actually think you're making the opposite argument than you are proving your point.

I'm a hetero dude. If I'm constantly showering or sharing a bed with women, i'm going to eventually make a move. Its normal to assume the same about gay men.

The issue isn't attraction in my book, it's about professionalism. I work with many attractive women. I am often with them in situations that lend themselves toward intimacy. Do I pursue those chances? No because I'm a professional and that would be inappropriate.

Do I think gay dudes will be turned on at some level constantly showering with other guys? Yes. If they're not, I'd tell them to see a doctor. But all of my friends aren't going to act on that, because like me they're professionals and have restraint.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #996
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Ha. Just had a great conversation with one of my partners on this topic. It's our belief that men's default position is to believe that everyone is sexually attracted to us.

Therefore, is it more offensive if a gay man is UNattracted to you while naked in a locker room?

Homophobia meet pride.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #997
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
I know I'm kicking this thing to death, but I just heard an interesting topic on Collin Coward's radio program. One of his listeners texted in that we need to consider the fact that straightman may be uncomfortable showering with gay men. Collin, per usual, went off on a quick rant about how it doesn't matter if they are uncomfortable.

While I agree with that sentiment, it does bring up an interesting thought. I would imagine that if a company forestay woman to shower with men, she could claim it was a hostile work environment and she would win. What will the sexual-harassment ramifications be in this case? Very interesting.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #998
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 04:14 AM
There is no way that any company would require women and men to shower together.

But is there a requirement for men to shower together in other places? If this is such a concern, why can't they build private/individual shower stalls?
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #999
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 10:14 AM
Is that really the case? Or is it just the general consensus?

I've had a male best friend for 10 years, not once did either of us make a move. We even talked about it for a while but netiher of us was attracted to each other. We slept in the same bed a couple of times. So in your idea he was supposed to make a move on me? Something wrong with him then?

If men are uncomofortable showering with other men, then don't shower with them. Maybe I just don't get that, I mean, it's like the age old thing that girls get mad when guys look at their boobs. Why do you get mad? It's biologically programmed that way, and I'd consider it a compliment instead. A little nod, hey, nice boobs. Thanks. Done. With all the shaming and the shouting, aren't women making it worse than it is? I think they are.

In this case, if everyone just minded their own business and took a goddamn shower, there is no problem. The problem is the assumptions people have.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #1000
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
There is no way that any company would require women and men to shower together.
Exactly to the point. Why? Aren't we all part of the same species? We've already established that men have the ability to control themselves, so they wouldn't be in danger. So why would a company never require it to happen? Sex.

That's what any lawyer would begin to argue in a sexual harassment case. All that needs to happen is to have a guy (and you'd have to guess that some right wing nut would - except in the nfl - more on that in a minute) complain that he feels uncomfortable at work because he has to shower with a person who is, potentially, looking at him sexually and he's got a case.

The Jonathan Martin/Richie Incognito situation makes this even more interesting in the NFL. In that case, we see that the harassment had been going on for a long period of time and yet Martin didn't dare confront it because it was part of the culture. The NFL has been scrambling like a mofo to cover their ass because they know they'd lose that case handily if Martin chooses to bring it.

Yet couldn't the same be said about the showering situation? A guy would have to single himself out by requesting private showers or a separate locker room.

Like I said, this is interesting.

Now, I know many of you are crazy emotional and irrational on this topic , so let me spell this out for you - I don't give a flying fuck if I shower with a gay man. So, let's think through this logically on how this could play out.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #1001
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 04:14 AM
Same Sex Marriage Thread - Part III

Gay men and straight men shower together all the time. Men (gay or straight) do not shower with women. Anatomical differences are more important here than sexual attraction.

Of course, harassment shouldn't be tolerated, and it's no different should a gay man do it to a straight man than a man to a woman.

However, if we just look at rape and sexual assault, it women have much, much, much, much more to fear from men than straights do from gays.

And lastly, most male-on-male sexual harassment is straight-on-straight.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #1002
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Gay men and straight men shower together all the time. Men (gay or straight) do not shower with women. Anatomical differences are more important here than sexual attraction.

Of course, harassment shouldn't be tolerated, and it's no different should a gay man do it to a straight man than a man to a woman.

However, if we just look at rape and sexual assault, it women have much, much, much, much more to fear from men than straights do from gays.

And lastly, most male-on-male sexual harassment is straight-on-straight.
The concern that I'd have as an NFL team (where men are compelled to shower together as part of the job/culture as opposed to at a gym by choice) is that I'm not sure that a gay would have to sexually harass a hetero in order to create a hostile work environment. The shower itself might do it.

And irvine you sexually harass me all the time. You're a predator.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #1003
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Personally I feel worst for the gay dudes having to shower in that setting. I know for myself, I can't take a shower without helicoptering my bits. That'd be like putting a kid close to disney land but telling him he could never go.
__________________
Dalton is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #1004
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 04:14 AM
If we're talking about the NFL, these are teams worth what, hundreds of millions maybe? And they have modern facilities. How do we even know they go into one communal shower like they're still in high school? Is it not possible for their stadiums/practice areas to put in individual stalls? I don't understand why we're just assuming that they "have to" shower together, if this is an issue in any way.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #1005
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If we're talking about the NFL, these are teams worth what, hundreds of millions maybe? And they have modern facilities. How do we even know they go into one communal shower like they're still in high school? Is it not possible for their stadiums/practice areas to put in individual stalls? I don't understand why we're just assuming that they "have to" shower together, if this is an issue in any way.
We know.
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com