Same Sex Marriage Thread - Part III - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #151
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Okay I didn't know that. Figures why the hardcore christians don't like it. Yet keeping your children away from school because of it?? Why?

Fraid I have not heard of Netflix either..

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #152
She's the One

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Okay I didn't know that. Figures why the hardcore christians don't like it. Yet keeping your children away from school because of it?? Why?
Because the children would turn gay instantly upon hearing of Harvey Milk. It happens every year with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Students everywhere turn black.

Hmm, no Netflix is your far-off land? You should put the movie on your list to see at some point, then.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post

Because the children would turn gay instantly upon hearing of Harvey Milk. It happens every year with Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Students everywhere turn black.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #154
Galeonbroad

Now THAT would be a surprise!

Oh right, that's the pay per view movie thing you guys have there right? Nah we don't have that here, though you can order some movies through the digital tv company I think. I'll see if I can find the dvd somewhere, otherwise I can always check with my pirate buddies to see it.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:43 PM
Quote:

I think that really happens in February, during Black History Month.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #156
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 AM   #157
45:33

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Some of the world moves forward... other parts take many steps back.

Nigerian MPs vote to outlaw gay marriage | News.com.au
Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #158
Galeonbroad

Some countries advance into the future, some go back to the middle ages...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

this surprises me not at all:

Quote:
Tick for same-sex families
Date
June 5, 2013 - 9:05PM

Children of same-sex parents are doing as well or better than the rest of the population on a number of key health indicators.

That is the initial finding from the world's largest study on the children of same-sex parents, under way at Melbourne University.

The Australian Study of Child Health in Same-Sex Families collected data on 500 children nationwide, up to the age of 17.

An interim report found there was no statistical difference between children of same-sex couples and the rest of the population on indicators including self-esteem, emotional behaviour and the amount of time spent with parents.

However, children of same-sex couples scored higher than the national average for overall health and family cohesion, measuring how well the family members get along.

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd said the wellbeing of children had been ''the sole remaining obstacle'' to him supporting same-sex marriage, which he announced in a blog post last month.

Federal Parliament was to vote this week on Greens MP Adam Bandt's private member's bill to legalise same-sex marriage. However, a vote is now unlikely before the election to allow more time for debate.

''Because of the situation that same-sex families find themselves in, they are generally more willing to communicate and approach the issues that any child may face at school, like teasing or bullying,'' lead researcher Dr Simon Crouch said.

''This fosters openness and means children tend to be more resilient. That would be our hypothesis.''

Mother of three Kate Coghlan concurred. ''We talk about everything: from how they were conceived to the different relationships that people have,'' the 39-year-old said. ''They are very accepting and more tolerating of diversity.''

Her partner, Susan Rennie, is the biological mother of Hannah, 8, and Xavier, 6, while Ms Coghlan gave birth to five-year-old Anouk. All three children were conceived through the same known donor.

Ms Coghlan was adopted, so she wanted her children to know as many of their family as possible, including their biological father.

''They say 'yes, we have got a dad; he just doesn't live with us','' she said.

Read more: Children of Same-Sex Couples Excel in Key Health Indicators: Study

i don't think there's anything inherently superior about gay parents, i don't think that children need two mothers or two fathers, i think that a mother and a father can likely do just as well as a gay family.

however, i do think that the gay people who choose to become parents are going to be much more successful group than straight parents as a whole, because for gay parents having children is absolutely opt-in, rather than default. it's totally optional and not obligatory, and because it takes so much work to become a gay parent, they're fully prepared not just for parenthood but for all the issues they know they're going to have to face as a gay family. it seems that all the obstacles gay people have had to face may have equipped them to actually be better parents.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

i don't think there's anything inherently superior about gay parents, i don't think that children need two mothers or two fathers, i think that a mother and a father can likely do just as well as a gay family.

however, i do think that the gay people who choose to become parents are going to be much more successful group than straight parents as a whole, because for gay parents having children is absolutely opt-in, rather than default. it's totally optional and not obligatory, and because it takes so much work to become a gay parent, they're fully prepared not just for parenthood but for all the issues they know they're going to have to face as a gay family. it seems that all the obstacles gay people have had to face may have equipped them to actually be better parents.
Have you seen the cover story on The Atlantic this month? It's not online yet, but it's called "What Straights Can Learn From Gay Marriage." It has a bunch of interesting info, such as that in lab interactions gay couples tend to fight fairer, with less aggression, dominance and whining. They also report greater sexual satisfaction that straights. The writer hypothesizes that this may be because, coming without relationship role scripts, they are better at working things out based on inclination and agreement, rather than, as you say, default.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #161
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
Have you seen the cover story on The Atlantic this month? It's not online yet, but it's called "What Straights Can Learn From Gay Marriage." It has a bunch of interesting info, such as that in lab interactions gay couples tend to fight fairer, with less aggression, dominance and whining. They also report greater sexual satisfaction that straights. The writer hypothesizes that this may be because, coming without relationship role scripts, they are better at working things out based on inclination and agreement, rather than, as you say, default.

i posted it earlier in this thread. it's a fascinating article.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #162
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
They also report greater sexual satisfaction that straights.
This seems like a no-brainer to me.

If you own the equipment you know how it works.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:43 PM
that's why I had my gay friend read to me a book about love making written by a lesbian
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
i posted it earlier in this thread. it's a fascinating article.
Whoops. Sorry about that- I didn't read the whole thread.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #165
Galeonbroad

Quote:
this surprises me not at all:

I think you're spot on on the second part. If you can't take something for granted, you're much more likely to put in just that little bit more effort and thought into the decisions.

Though I'd say the social issues they tackle with their children could also be that they're more experienced on the topic, seeing as they had bullying for an example. I reckon most gay people have experienced some form of bullying in their life, so it's easier to recognize the signs with your own children if you've been in that situation yourself.