Same Sex Marriage Thread-Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I shop at that mall, I think I might have to stop at Chick Fil A and give them some business. And maybe tell them why.

nhpridefest.com

7/31/2012 Nashua, NH – Anthony Picolia, manager of the only Chick-Fil-A in New Hampshire, is excited to be a sponsor of the New Hampshire Pride Fest, a celebration of gay rights. In the midst of a controversy over remarks by Chick-Fil-A’s President regarding marriage equality, Picolia decided to take a “Live Free or Die” attitude towards the festival. “In both my personal and professional life, I have had and continue to have positive relationships with family, friends, customers and employees in the LGBT community.” Picolia said. “It would make me sad if someone felt that they were not openly welcomed into my life or restaurant based on their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender.

Chick-fil-A at Pheasant Lane Mall has gay employees and serves gay customers with honor, dignity and respect. We also don’t discriminate in giving back to the Nashua community, donating to a wide variety of causes. I would challenge people to come have a conversation with me before they make assumptions or boycott my restaurant. Come to my restaurant and see for yourself that my team and I only have one mission: To serve exceptional experiences to all.”

Tara Powell, one of the festival’s organizers, is looking forward to working with Mr. Picolia in planning the festival. “This sponsorship is just another example of how great New Hampshire is to the LGBT community. We are looking forward to having a great Pride Fest, and are very excited to have Chick-Fil-A involved.”

This article is sad to read:

Chick-fil-A Anti-Gay Controversy: Gay Employees Speak Out

Yesterday, I was on Facebook and came across a former co-worker's status where he boasted about supporting Chick-Fil-A. He was always on the cocky side, but that status really turned me off. I unfriended him right away. Not that I'll get any repercussions since its been a long time since I spoke to him, so no worries there.

Even in my liberal college town the "haters" were deployed in full force and our wait was 50 minutes.

True grassroots activism, community organizing and the use of social media isn't supposed to happen from the Right is it? Oh, oh, might spell trouble come this November.

INDY500 said:
Even in my liberal college town the "haters" were deployed in full force and our wait was 50 minutes.

True grassroots activism, community organizing and the use of social media isn't supposed to happen from the Right is it? Oh, oh, might spell trouble come this November.

It's too bad these "christians" don't create lines around the building when it's a food bank handing out food to the poor and homeless, for this is ACTUALLY something Jesus spoke about. No, these hypocrites would rather focus on the distorted sins that don't effect them rather than the ones that actually define them.

This is not about freedom of speech.
This is not about protecting anything.
You are not about true freedom or liberty.

This is about hatred, there is NO way around that.

Adam M Smith at Chick Fil A drive thru - YouTube

The Chief Financial Officer of a Tucson-based "catheter tipping equipment leader" was forced to step down after uploading a YouTube video of himself chastising an employee of Chick-fil-A for working for "a hateful corporation."

Vante CEO Roger Vogel called now-former CFO Adam Smith's rant "disturbing" and "inappropriate."

In the video, Smith can be seeing pulling up to the drive-thru window of a Tucson Chick-fil-A to receive a cup of "free water." He then proceeds to excoriate the employee, telling her "I don't know how you live with yourself and work here."

Before driving away, Smith makes sure to inform the employee that he is a "nice guy" and "totally heterosexual."

After the video went viral yesterday, Vante released a statement saying Smith was "no longer an employee of our company" and his actions "do not reflect our corporate values in any manner."

Vogel, the CEO, told the Arizona Daily Star his company does not have an official stance on marriage equality, " but has always had a 'good relationship' with Chick-fil-A." He also claimed Smith's departure was "mutual."

Smith himself has yet to issue a response.

Smith was pretty harsh. People need to work, they need to pay their bills and finding work is not easy. For all he knew, that girl could've been a gay rights supporter or actually a lesbian herself. He should've directed his rage toward the Chick-Fil-A CEO rather than someone in need of a paycheck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WuDPBLJ9gqg

"The President is in the White House because of the civil rights movement, and I was a leader in that movement, and I didn't march one inch, one foot, one yard for a man to marry a man or a woman to marry a woman."

We are going to take action across this country to change the course that this President has us in."

Not in S.F., Boston or Chicago pastor... you don't share their "values."

Good luck, Pastor. Increasingly, more Americans are supportive of same sex marriage.

If you're not part of the future, then get out of the way.

It's interesting to me that THIS is what the Christian Pastor thinks is worth "marching across the country" for. Not alleviating poverty, not providing support to single moms doing their best to raise kids on minimum wage or to pregnant women, not serving the homeless, not fighting for better access to mental health treatment so that we don't have people shooting dozens in rampages, not fighting for people with disabilities, etc.

No wonder that western societies are moving towards secularism when these are the sorts of priorities identified by churches.

He should've directed his rage toward the Chick-Fil-A CEO the U.S. Constitution that gave all Americans the right to free speech, free exercise of religion and the freedom to associate rather than someone in need of a paycheck.

What do you value more? Equality or liberty?

You know, reading these posts I've really given up on the hope that people will some day understand what freedom of speech means.

Are you saying you value your own freedom (which is not under threat because gay marriage does not and will not hurt you) over someone else's? That you would prefer having your own rights rather than someone else having the same rights?

I don't want to repeat what I said not 10 minutes ago, but here goes in case you are blind:

If you're not part of the future, then get out of the way.

Does that sound more libertarian or more utopian?

More concerned for the rights of the individual or the "progress" of the collective?

You'll do anything to make sense out of something that doesn't make sense, wouldn't you? It's becoming laughable.

How would the legalization of same sex marriage in all 50 states affect you? Come on, give all of FYM one good reason! I don't think you ever really have.

Pastor attacks Obama over gay marriage - YouTube

Not in S.F., Boston or Chicago pastor... you don't share their "values."

This Pastor not only has unchristian values, but he's also not very bright. He was on the Laura Ingram show yesterday to talk about this very same thing, and she lobbed him what she thought was going to be a softball question; "what do you say to those that compare this to the fight for interracial marriage?" He stumbled, avoided the question and then placed his foot in his mouth. They both proved the hypocrisy of their views on live radio.

You like the word 'liberty', but after years of your posts we've all seen that you really don't understand what it means.

How do you define liberty? I think we all think we mean the same thing when we use a word and much of the time we don't.

More and more, I'm starting to see it as an abstract, meaningless term.

Or maybe a term that allows somebody to be a dick without any understanding/expectation of repercussions.

There won't ever be true equality. A little bit more fairness wouldn't hurt.:hmm:

How would the legalization of same sex marriage in all 50 states affect you? Come on, give all of FYM one good reason! I don't think you ever really have.

I think we're still waiting on this. We're still waiting on his "reasoned opinions" and how did he put it, "repercussions"...

Because he cannot give one reason that isn't a personal feeling or belief, and therefore doesn't actually mean anything to anyone else but him.

This is a basic right that is denied to a portion of our population. They are not getting more rights, or more privledges than anyone else, they are asking to be treated equal.

Because your faith disagree's with same sex marriage doesn't mean your beliefs should be imposed on others. It's plain and simple as that. You don't want Sharia Law imposed on you, and you don't want your ability to express your faith removed completely.

The feelings of a majority isn't a right to rule on the minority. Let them get married, go on with your life, and see if anything changes (nothing will change, and if anything does, it's not related to gay marriage).

Smith was pretty harsh. People need to work, they need to pay their bills and finding work is not easy. For all he knew, that girl could've been a gay rights supporter or actually a lesbian herself. He should've directed his rage toward the Chick-Fil-A CEO rather than someone in need of a paycheck.
exactly. i've always been a supporter of gay rights (thanks mom) and i only worked there because they were the only place in town that hired at 14. not everyone can afford to quit their job just because they find out their ceo doesn't feel the same about an issue as them.

on a positive note though, someone on my friends list who i was afraid would be supportive of the ceo (if she mentioned it at all, she's not very political) actually posted an article about the same sex kiss day event there and said how awesome it was. so yay.

this is a basic right that is denied to a portion of our population. They are not getting more rights, or more privileges than anyone else, they are asking to be treated equal.

Because your faith disagrees with same sex marriage doesn't mean your beliefs should be imposed on others. It's plain and simple as that. You don't want sharia law imposed on you, and you don't want your ability to express your faith removed completely.

The feelings of a majority isn't a right to rule on the minority. Let them get married, go on with your life, and see if anything changes (nothing will change, and if anything does, it's not related to gay marriage).

this

I wish that many people would crowd farmer's markets.

You know who the real winner is here? Pharmaceuticals. Everyone that went to CFA in the masses just brought themselves one white box closer to diabetes. How sad is it that these people felt that risking their health was worth proving a point? Did they prove a point? Everyone who stays away from fast food is going to enjoy a longer, healthier life...regardless of who they marry.

Americans already have the obesity stereotype, and that's how the rest of the world sees us. So it would not surprise me if the rest of the world is laughing about how ridiculous this whole thing is.

I think it's really embarrassing to stand in line for nearly an hour for disgusting deep fried chicken by-product.

It's too bad these "christians" don't create lines around the building when it's a food bank handing out food to the poor and homeless, for this is ACTUALLY something Jesus spoke about. No, these hypocrites would rather focus on the distorted sins that don't effect them rather than the ones that actually define them.

Yeah, I've seen that meme going around.

You do know that tens of millions of Christians every week do indeed line up to serve the homeless, right? Feed the hungry? Pray with the sick? Advocate on behalf of health care for the poorest amongst us? Are you positive that a few of the people who lined up as a calm, peaceful protest about an issue they care about deeply aren't also lining up regularly to feed the poor and homeless?

I'm not sure that the best way to combat prejudice is more prejudice. The best way to combat ignorance is with education and grace. To do otherwise reduces humanity on both sides of the discussion.

You know, reading these posts I've really given up on the hope that people will some day understand what freedom of speech means.

Exactly what I think when I read posts defending hate speech laws, campus speech codes, political correctness, vilifying Citizens United or when liberal metropolitan mayors threaten to use the powers of government to remove businesses with nonconforming "values." The very definition of fascism.

The very definition of fascism.

really what's important is that you remain free to feel unchallenged and totally comfortable opposing (without any rational basis!) basic civil rights for a small, traditionally despised segment of the population.

You do know that tens of millions of Christians every week do indeed line up to serve the homeless, right? Feed the hungry? Pray with the sick? Advocate on behalf of health care for the poorest amongst us? Are you positive that a few of the people who lined up as a calm, peaceful protest about an issue they care about deeply aren't also lining up regularly to feed the poor and homeless?

I'm not sure that the best way to combat prejudice is more prejudice. The best way to combat ignorance is with education and grace. To do otherwise reduces humanity on both sides of the discussion.

I hope they are doing some good toward the sick and poor, but why not also show compassion to gays - who are outcasted by some Christians. For those conservative Christians to say they love gay people yet are against their "lifestyle" sounds more negative than compassionate. To me, it goes against 1 Corinthians 13.

nathan1977 said:

I think you missed my point. This was a "grassroots" movement put out very quickly via social media and prominent figures like INDY said, right? And apparently there were lines around the building. Almost every major city has a "service day" where they try and do something similar yet the turn out and fan fare is nothing compared to this. I know, I've been a part of these drives and I've been a part of some large churches. And I'm not saying Christians don't go out and feed the homeless, what I'm saying is that I don't see Palin and Huckabee tweeting about that. I don't see lines around the building for that. This is not coming from prejudice or ignorance, this is coming from experience and long discussions with pastors who are hanging their heads in embarrassment about this type of "protest" when they can't get a significant percentage of their congregation to volunteer even during the holidays. I think it's time we start looking in the mirror rather than focusing on issues that do not and will not effect us.

really what's important is that you remain free to feel unchallenged and totally comfortable opposing (without any rational basis!) basic civil rights for a small, traditionally despised segment of the population.

I'm starting to think INDY either knows he's wrong to be against LGBTs and is afraid to admit it because he'll realize all that he believes in would be wrong too, or he harbors some very strong homophobia and won't voice them here or else he'll be banned. That's my theory anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom