Same Sex Marriage Thread-Part 2 - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #916
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
It wouldn't hurt to post those articles, no matter how old they are.
English Manif: : Interview with Xavier Bongibault, head of gay group opposed to gay marriage

ttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/frigide-barjot-france-comedian-gay-marriage_n_2455573.html

Quote:
PARIS, Jan 11 (Reuters) - When the opponents of gay-marriage take to the streets in Paris on Sunday, their protest will be led neither by politicians nor priests, but by a sassy comedian in a pink T-shirt who goes by the stage name Frigide Barjot. With her on the march, expected to be one of the capital's biggest demonstrations in years, will be a young gay man who campaigns against homosexual marriage and an an older activist from the right-to-life movement.
Here's just two. Now does that even remotely sound like the American opposition to SSM depicted as mostly dying, old, white, Republican men bitterly clinging to their Bibles?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #917
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:28 AM
You should read the anti-equality websites. They do everything they can to trot out people who aren't old. But it's a challenge. The NYT did an article recently on 20-somethings who are anti-gay, and it's brilliant reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/us...pagewanted=all

Really, a 29-year old executive director? Must be quite an established organization.

If you look at the polls, indeed, it is the Bitters who remain opposed. But not by much, and not for long.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #918
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

Who says they are abominations? What we argue for is a conjugal concept of marriage that recognizes the ideal of a mother and father raising a biological child in a stable union.
That's really interesting from somebody who is pro-life.

Fuck those adopted, unideal, non-biological children.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #919
45:33

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Quote:

English Manif: : Interview with Xavier Bongibault, head of gay group opposed to gay marriage

ttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/frigide-barjot-france-comedian-gay-marriage_n_2455573.html

Here's just two. Now does that even remotely sound like the American opposition to SSM depicted as mostly dying, old, white, Republican men bitterly clinging to their Bibles?
Two people! There's a reason to ban gay marriage for millions.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #920
She's the One

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Yep. A coupla gays are against it, so no marriage for you!

It makes perfect sense. Sheesh.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #921
She's the One

Local Time: 07:28 AM
No one linked the Onion article here?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #922
ONE
love, blood, life

If only: Supreme Court On Gay Marriage: 'Sure, Who Cares' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
WASHINGTON—Ten minutes into oral arguments over whether or not homosexuals should be allowed to marry one another, a visibly confounded Supreme Court stopped legal proceedings Tuesday and ruled that gay marriage was “perfectly fine” and that the court could “care less who marries whom.”

“Yeah, of course gay men and women can get married. Who gives a shit?” said Chief Justice John Roberts, who interrupted attorney Charles Cooper’s opening statement defending Proposition 8, which rescinded same-sex couples’ right to marry in California. “Why are we even seriously discussing this?”

“Does anyone else up here care about this?” Roberts added as his eight colleagues began shaking their heads and saying, “No,” “Nah,” and “I also don’t care about this.” “Great. Same-sex marriage is legal in the United States of America. Do we have anything of actual import on the docket, or are we done for the day?”

Before Roberts officially ended proceedings, sources confirmed that all nine justices were reportedly dumbfounded, asking why the case was even coming before them and wondering aloud if some sort of mistake had been made. Calling marriage equality a “no-brainer,” members of the High Court appeared not just confused but irritated when Proposition 8 defenders argued that gay marriage was not a national issue but a state matter.

Moreover, when Attorney Cooper said that gay marriage could harm the moral fabric of the country and hurt the institution of marriage, Associate Justice Sotomayor asked, “What are you even talking about?” while Justice Anthony Kennedy reportedly muttered, “You got to be fucking kidding me,” under his breath.

“I have to interject, Mr. Cooper,” Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said as the attorney argued that the government has legitimate reasons to discourage same-sex couples from getting married. “Do you honestly care this much about this issue? Because if you do, you’re a real goddamn idiot. Actually, you sound as dumb as dog shit, and you are wasting our time.”

“Should gay marriage be legal?” Ginsburg continued. “Yes. Done. Case closed. Goodbye. Christ, were we seriously scheduled to spend the next few months debating this?”

Even the typically conservative wing of the court maintained that, despite their personal views, it would be “downright silly” for them to rule that same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

“I’m a strict Originalist, Mr. Cooper, and I’m looking at a 14th Amendment that forbids any state from denying any person equal protection of the law,” Associate Justice Antonin Scalia said. “So, unless we are the most uncivilized society on the face of God’s green earth, I think we can all agree that a gay person is in fact a person. So what I’m saying is, who the fuck are we to tell a person who he or she can get married to? This is dumb. Can we talk about a real case now, please?”

Before adjourning the court, Roberts said there would be no official opinion on the case because it’s just “common goddamn sense,” and then addressed gay men and women directly.

“Get married, don’t get married, do whatever you want,” Roberts said. “It’s the opinion of this court that we don’t give two shits what you do.”

“C’mon, let’s go get some food,” added Roberts, as the eight other justices followed him out the door.
For the record, I do not subscribe to the belief that all SSM opponents are "dumb as dog shit".
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #923
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Not only that, but the guy's argument is completely idiotic

"Marriage for all exists already in France. We speak of equality before the law. That's equality between individuals, not equality between groups. There is equality in the sense that anyone can get in a male-female couple. There is not equality between couples, but there is equality for individuals."

You must feel proud to have this guy on your side, Indy.

It's a shame. I bet you were so excited when you first read about him
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #924
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:28 AM
New Zealand's gay marriage bill passed through committee unaltered.

Now there's just the third reading to go; it should pass and New Zealand will join the 21st century. I will be absolutely gobsmacked if the 77-44 vote in favour of the second reading changes so dramatically that the bill does not pass.

Fuck, that's brilliant.

Quote:
For the record, I do not subscribe to the belief that all SSM opponents are "dumb as dog shit".
For the record, I do subscribe to the opinion that anybody who opposes marriage equality is dumb as dog shit.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #925
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
A bit surprised by this... or maybe not. France loves them a riot

Clashes, riot police, at French anti-gay marriage protest - World News
yeah i was surprised too, embarrassed actually...

oh i guess maybe i shouldn't be too surprised - France is much more conservative than it likes to admit... depressing...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #926
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:28 AM
I think it's too easy to label SSM opponents as "dumb as dog shit". I think using words like overly stubborn, irrational, or even downright hateful is better. But that's just me.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #927
Blue Crack Supplier

I think a good word is tortured. Watching the anti-SSM "logic" "evolve" is fascinating -- the lengths people will go to to either justify a prejudice, cling to an interpretation of whatever religious text, or both, in the face of enormous evidence to the contrary, is amazing.

At the end of the day it's a thuddingly simple issue. I hope it ends so we can go back to talking about issues that are much more complicated.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #928
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
That's really interesting from somebody who is pro-life.

Fuck those adopted, unideal, non-biological children.
If one were interested in respectful, informative discourse from the sole dissenting voice they would inquire into the reasoning for specifying biological child over just child.

I note you elected not to pursue that route but instead chose to twist and pervert my words.

Typical of "debate" on this forum which more and more reads like just another Left-wing hate blog.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #929
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
If one were interested in respectful, informative discourse from the sole dissenting voice they would inquire into the reasoning for specifying biological child over just child.
I frankly don't need to inquire into the reasoning as it's offensive no matter how much lipstick you slap on that pig.

You were not the first/only anti-SSM person this week to make comments about biological children. It is interesting that it came on the heels of comments about the Chief Justice.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #930
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:28 AM
I spent most of last night stumbling from bar to bar telling every two men or two women I met that I was on their side. Fact: most dudes do NOT want you to think that they're gay.