Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Uhoh, there's gonna be gay sex on Glee tonight. I guess they already had lesbian type sex before so maybe it won't be as big of a deal.

Chris Colfer talked to TVLine‘s Michael Ausiello about the upcoming Sex-With-Kurt-And-Blaine episode on Glee, but the Golden Globe winner insists that the subject was handled with great care.

“Prior to getting the script Ryan approached Darren and I and told us that they were doing a virginity episode, and Darren and I just kind of looked at each other with wide eyes like, “Huh? What?,’” Colfer explained. “And while we always have faith in the writers, we were a little skeptical. But then we got the script and shot it and everything was fine. What I thought could be raunchy and over-the-top was just very sweet and emotional"

Alas, Colfer was covered up for his big scene with Criss, since request to wear a tank top was denied: “I think having two gay guys having sex on television was enough. They didn’t want to [reveal] a bunch of skin on top of it. I was like, “I want to wear a tank! Let me wear a tank!” [Ultimately], I wore a T-shirt.”

Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

it's weird -- while i am all for equal depictions of hetero and homo sex, i still find myself slightly uncomfortable with depictions of teenage sex.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Well, as long as the actors are over the age of 18, I don't see the problem. They are portraying what many minors do and that is, explore sexuality.

I do get uneasy about it too for a reason I can't explain. So...
Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:15 PM
"Rehearsal is for fags."

Is Brett Ratner out of his Academy Awards producing gig !
Old 11-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

had he used another slur, he'd be out.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

yes, he is out
gay lobby is as strong as Jewish, black, etc., lobby - now
progress
Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

it *is* the degenerate entertainment industry that shows deviant teenagers committing sodomy during the family hour.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

somebody say 'sodomy'

'you do want a job, don't you?'
Old 11-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Uhoh, there's gonna be gay sex on Glee tonight.

so, um, i thought this was the best episode of Glee i've ever seen, aside from the Joss Whedon episode from the first season (and a Kristin Chenoweth solo here and there).

sensitive, emotional, thoughtful ... they all behaved like real people with real thoughts and real motivations, and the editing of the "sex scenes" absolutely reinforced the notion of emotional equality between the hetero and the homo couples.

job well done. i wish every high school show handled sex so sensitively as that episode.

also, it was nice to be reminded of how amazing West Side Story is.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so, um, i thought this was the best episode of Glee i've ever seen, aside from the Joss Whedon episode from the first season (and a Kristin Chenoweth solo here and there).

sensitive, emotional, thoughtful ... they all behaved like real people with real thoughts and real motivations, and the editing of the "sex scenes" absolutely reinforced the notion of emotional equality between the hetero and the homo couples.

job well done. i wish every high school show handled sex so sensitively as that episode.

also, it was nice to be reminded of how amazing West Side Story is.
I agree. I thought it was so sensitive and sweet. I was imagining all the people who were outraged when they heard there was going to be some sort of gay male sex scene. Haha, joke's on them. It was much more realistic than the other sex related stuff I've seen on that show.

I hope teens watched it with their parents.

And Brett Ratner is a..well I won't say but he fits every Hollywood male stereotype of a feminine hygiene product.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Brett Ratner is out as producer of the 84th Academy Awards show.

It's been a tumultuous several days for Ratner, who, amongst several offenses, used a gay slur when asked a question about filmmaking. The director said that "rehearsing is for fags" in a Q&A session following a screening of his new film, "Tower Heist," at L.A.'s Arclight Cinemas. He apologized for the statement after NY Magazine published his remarks and a video of the exchange was posted.

"As a first step, I called Tom Sherak this morning and resigned as a producer of the 84th Academy Awards telecast," Ratner said in a statement (via The Hollywood Reporter). "Being asked to help put on the Oscar show was the proudest moment of my career. But as painful as this may be for me, it would be worse if my association with the show were to be a distraction from the Academy and the high ideals it represents."

Ratner chose Eddie Murphy, the star of "Tower Heist," to host the Oscars.

"He did the right thing for the Academy and for himself," Sherak said in the Academy's official response statement. "Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent."

Ratner also made headlines in a pair of lewd media appearances. He spoke about his sexual history with actress Olivia Munn on both G4 and Howard Stern's radio programs; he said he "banged" Munn on a G4 talkshow, before admitting that he had never had sex with her in an explicit conversation with Stern. He made several other off-color sexual remarks during the interview with Stern, as well.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
The director said that "rehearsing is for fags"
Christ, what an asshole.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Is it homophobic to split up gay penguins? | Science | The Guardian

Quote:
When Toronto zoo bought African penguins Pedro and Buddy from Pittsburgh's National Aviary, they expected them to mate with two females. Instead, despite being trailed by lovelorn lady penguins, they only had eyes for each other, engaging in what naturalists call "courtship behaviour". So Tom Mason, the zoo's curator of birds and invertebrates, ended the relationship on the grounds that it was jeopardising the future of the species. Despite the impression given by programmes such as Frozen Planet, which show carpets of penguins as far as the eye can see, the African penguin is on the verge of extinction. Only 60,000 are left in the wild (down from 225,000 two decades ago), and the zoo doesn't feel it can allow a season to go by without Pedro and Buddy's genes being passed on.

Some were outraged at the zoo's decision to separate the pair, with Gawker caustically commenting: "They probably wouldn't have sex with a woman if they were the last penguins on earth anyway." In fact, the sexuality of penguins is rather more fluid than those anthropomorphising them might wish.

Even the previous, much cooed-over pairs of gay penguins to hit the headlines turned out to be more Bloomsbury group than Elton and David. Roy and Silo, the penguins at New York zoo who inspired their own children's book, split up after Silo took up with a female; the same happened to Harry and Popper at San Francisco zoo.

Perhaps Mason was merely preventing heartbreak down the line. Or rather, they're just, you know, penguins.
Regrettably, gay penguin discussions are above my pay grade.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:15 AM
Twitter
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #105
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:15 AM
FWIW (considering that birds are birds and humans are, you know, humans), many ornithological studies have found that even among "monogamous" bird species, and regardless of whether a given longterm pair is "straight" or "gay," it's in fact the norm for both partners to frequently mate with other birds on the side throughout their lives, so that "straight" males and "lesbian" females are often helping raise young not their own. It's likewise tempting to anthropomorphize that as "cheating," but that too involves assumptions about how "monogamous" birds might perceive the relationships between pair bonding, libido, reproductive opportunity, and childrearing in the first place.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης