Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #931
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I dont see why I should tolerate your belief that I am less deserving of full citizenship than you.
If that's the case, then I don't see how you can possibly represent yourself as a liberal. Sure, you can hint at advocating bashing queer haters, or censoring them, or persuading the government to close down homophobic websites or making the Catholic Church change its despicable and obviously self-hating queer motivated policy on gay rights - you, or anyone, can do any of those things - but i don't see how you or anyone else can claim that you're a liberal at the same time, it just isn't consistent. It's an intellectual contradiction, on some level, to do so.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #932
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:01 PM
I'm a progressive.

I had no idea you were so concerned with validating everyone's feelings and making sure that all opinions -- no matter how uninformed -- are treated as if they are all of equal merit.

In fact, I thought you hated that PC shite.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #933
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:
I'm a progressive.
I don't know what that means, it's never been satisfactorily explained to me. It's an Americanism which is not widely used outside of the US.

Quote:
I'm I had no idea you were so concerned with validating everyone's feelings and makin sure that all opinions -- no matter how uninformed -- are treated as if they are all I equal merit.
I haven't the slightest interest in validing everyone's feelings and I don't remotely accept that all opinions are of equal merit.

For example, you think that "Brokeback Mountain" is the best thing since sliced bread and I think that it's a boring predictable exploitative sentimental melodramatic Hollywood complete crock of shit.

That doesn't make me right and you wrong, or the reverse. It just means that I have a different opinion to yours. But, our difffering opinions on the movie are, hopefully, based purely on artistic grounds. Someone that wanted to ban the movie because of what they read in the Bible or whatever - well, that person's opinion is not necessarily equally valid to yours or mine, because they are coming from the standpoint of intolerance. But, their expression of that bigoted opinion shouldn't be banned, criminalised or censored. It should be listened to and heard, even if only to be scorned and criticised, and held up up for contempt. Much like Richard Dawkins does with religion, for example.

"My Own Private Idaho" - now, that was a decent movie.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #934
Blue Crack Supplier

Yes, because opinions on movies are the same as opinions on civil rights.

You're also talking around yourself in circles.

I don't eat at CFA. They are gay hating shits. IH's "opinions" on gay people are pathetic and indefensible and he knows it.

Everyone has the right to be stupid, and I have the right to tell them. All of that IS tolerance and hasn't been suggested otherwise.

Go pick a fight where there is one to be had with an actual person, not someone you've fabricated.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #935
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I don't remember any of you "boycotting" Senator or President Obama when he held the same position.
Quite frankly, I never thought he was against gay marriage, I honestly don't think he's bothered one way or another by it. And I definitely did express my wish that he'd shown his support for it much sooner-like when he was campaigning in '08.

But apples and oranges, and stuff. Plus, he's showing his support now, and whether it's for political gain or sincere (I think it's probably a mix of both), he's supporting civil rights, and that's always going to be a good thing in and of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
yep. yet it's perfectly cool for all these other organisations to boycott groups like jcpenney and encourage going to chick-fil-a as much as possible. it's a bit hypocritical.
Exactly.

I agree, by the way, that the government shouldn't be dictating what businesses can and can't come into a city. I'm beyond thrilled that Boston supports gay marriage, but I think there's better ways to handle this issue than denying businesses opportunity to set up in town. Besides that, just because the head of the company's against it, doesn't mean every single person working there agrees (I'm guessing. I don't know if they have strict rules about supporting the beliefs of that chain if you wish to work there or what). Why should they be punished because of what the head of the company says?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Interesting to me that in WA state, gay marriage was passed through the legislature and signed off by the governor. Yet, the anti-gay marriage crowd raised up a stink and started a petition. Aren't we repeatedly told that the issue with gay marriage is that activist judges are forcing it upon citizens against their will? So if the elected legislators also can't do it, then who?
Good point. I guess it's supposed to come down to the citizens themselves. But if the people vote and the bill to legalize gay marriage STILL passes, then what would their argument be?

It's all so confusing, the anti-gay marriage arguments.

Also, Pearl, thanks, and I agree with your post as well.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #936
The Fly

Local Time: 07:01 PM
I consider myself conservative on more issues than not but don't understand why people are against gay marriage. Everyone should be allowed the opportunity to marry their loved one and gain the benefits of that marriage. I know that the idea of marriage to many people is a holy idea and only between a man and a woman. But damn half the marriages in the US end in divorce. Some people get married 4 times. It cant be that holy. Everyone should have the equal opportunity to be miserable and experience divorce. Not just heterosexuals.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #937
Blue Crack Supplier

I marriage is holy and designed by God, go stop atheist marriage. Iron Horse.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #938
45:33

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim722
I consider myself conservative on more issues than not but don't understand why people are against gay marriage. Everyone should be allowed the opportunity to marry their loved one and gain the benefits of that marriage. I know that the idea of marriage to many people is a holy idea and only between a man and a woman. But damn half the marriages in the US end in divorce. Some people get married 4 times. It cant be that holy. Everyone should have the equal opportunity to be miserable and experience divorce. Not just heterosexuals.
Can we call a moratorium on "gays should be allowed to be as miserable of the rest of us ha ha ha" please? It's great that you (not you personally) support gay marriage but that's such a lame joke.

I'd also like to call a moratorium on the "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" joke.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #939
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'd also like to call a moratorium on the "Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" joke.
YES. Please.

Agreed on your other point, too.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #940
Blue Crack Addict

Mayor Bloomberg: Chick-fil-A Ban ‘Not Going to Happen’ in NYC | Politicker

Despite Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s advocacy for a healthier diet and strong support for gay marriage, he’s cold on the idea of banning Chick-fil-A within the five boroughs.

As mayors around the country — including Boston’s, Chicago’s and San Francisco’s — are backing efforts to keep the fast food chain out of their cities due to the company’s president, Dan Cathy, spending millions to push back against gay marriage, Mr. Bloomberg said it’s “a bad idea and it’s not going to happen” on John Gambling’s radio show this morning.

“They’re all friends but I disagree with them really strongly on this one,” Mr. Bloomberg said of his mayoral colleagues. “You can’t have a test for what the owners’ personal views are before you decide to give a permit to do something in the city. You really don’t want to ask political beliefs or religious beliefs before you issue a permit, that’s just not government’s job.”

Mr. Bloomberg went on to argue that blocking a business based on their political beliefs opens a potential slippery slope where liberal cities block conservative establishments and vice versa with conservative cities.

“Freedom of speech — everybody’s in favor of it as long as it’s what they want to hear,” he explained. “Well the only way that you have your freedom of speech is if you give other people freedom of speech. … This is just a bad idea and it’s not going to happen in New York City.”

The mayor didn’t weigh in on Chick-fil-A’s particular cuisine, however.

“Never had one,” he said of their sandwiches, maintaining that they would be welcome to open a business in the city with the right permits and inspections. “I didn’t even know about them until I read about them in the paper.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #941
Blue Crack Addict

Daily Kos: Another Headache for Chick-fil-A — Sued for Gender Discrimination

Former Chick-fil-A employee Brenda Honeycutt is now suing the chain for wrongful termination. She alleges that she was the victim of gender discrimination. According to the reports:

The lawsuit, which was obtained by GLAAD, refers to a June 27, 2011, incident in which Jeff Howard, the owner and operator of a Duluth, Ga., Chick-fil-A, fired Honeycutt so she could be a "stay home mother."

It seems that they are kind of stuck in the 1950s while much of the rest of the country is in the 21st century.

According to GLAAD:

Honeycutt was terminated by Howard after meetings with restaurant management (during which she was not present), and was replaced by a male employee. The lawsuit cites a pattern of discrimination against female employees, who, after being terminated, were also replaced by male employees in Northern Georgia’s Chick-Fil-A restaurants.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #942
ONE
love, blood, life

Bloomberg is, unsurprisingly, spot on.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #943
She's the One

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Can we call a moratorium on "gays should be allowed to be as miserable of the rest of us ha ha ha" please? It's great that you (not you personally) support gay marriage but that's such a lame joke.

YES.

fcl
Old 07-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #944
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
I didn't believe him. I think he was waiting for more of the nation to catch up.
What you consider leadership I'd call political self-interest.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #945
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Yes, and surprise! He was criticized for it by many people. So your "jab" of a comment yesterday was pointless.