Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 62 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #916
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Interesting to me that in WA state, gay marriage was passed through the legislature and signed off by the governor. Yet, the anti-gay marriage crowd raised up a stink and started a petition. Aren't we repeatedly told that the issue with gay marriage is that activist judges are forcing it upon citizens against their will? So if the elected legislators also can't do it, then who?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #917
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Ayup.

WA is totally gung-ho about voter initiatives, for better or for worse. Although even though Seattle voted down the plastic bag ban, the city went ahead and did it anyway.

There was a good article about how those initiatives are driven by massive funding from businesses, even if those businesses might be out of state. It's pretty messed up. I don't know if it's relevant to post here or not, so I won't dig for the link right now. It was either in The Stranger or Seattle Weekly.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #918
Blue Crack Addict

Shouldn't that Times headline include the word "Agenda"?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #919
Blue Crack Addict

The mayor of Boston has backed off of his CFA rant. He said yesterday that it's his job as mayor to give his opinion (to me he went way beyond that), and he admitted that he got carried away with another of his "Meninoisms". Obviously he knows he has no authority to stop CFA. Believe it or not many people here disagree with what the mayor said and don't support it.

If CFA discriminated against gay employees, or didn't hire them, or mistreated gay customers then yes, I'd have a problem with it. But I believe in the freedom of choice of consumers, and not in the govt making that choice for us. Like someone mentioned, CFA is a franchise and not everyone supports the CEO's position. And they shouldn't be punished for it either. I don't like what the head chicken guy said, and I wouldn't go there anyway, regardless of that-but I want to have the right to exercise that choice.

We all consume things everyday, and use services-and we have no idea what the political and moral beliefs of the people behind them are.

Oh well, at least Tim Thomas stands behind CFA. I heard they sent plenty of chicken to his bunker where he makes his hit and run Facebook posts from, and thanks God that he got out of crazy Beantown.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #920
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:04 PM
I don't remember any of you "boycotting" Senator or President Obama when he held the same position.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #921
Blue Crack Addict

Who here is going to boycott Chick Fil A? Who said they would? I'm not. I just wouldn't find myself in there because I'm an extremely picky eater. Would really have nothing to do with gay marriage. If I was actually going to boycott it, I'd have to find out the position on gay marriage of every place I spend money in. And that would be the corporate office and/or one person in that office. Not the individual store or franchise. Unless I just randomly bring that up at the register.

The only place I unofficially "boycott" is Walmart, just because I find what I've read about their business practices to be repugnant. And I'm not a snob but frankly I find it to be icky too No offense to anyone who shops there. But the Walmart where I live, yes that's what it's like.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #922
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
I don't remember any of you "boycotting" Senator or President Obama when he held the same position.
Does President Obama prevent people from working one of the seven days of the week?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #923
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Yeah, no one ever expressed any disappointment over his previous stance.

What were people supposed to do, stop paying taxes in protest?

Come on.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #924
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

Was Obama making free lunch for forces who seek my total social destruction?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #925
She's the One

Quote:
I didn't believe him. I think he was waiting for more of the nation to catch up.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #926
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

I don't understand the intolerance that many on the left seem to exhibit.

It is scary that this society seems so ready to censor or punish people that
disgaree with what they consider correct thought.
Hear hear. Tolerance is often misunderstood.

Tolerance does not necessarily imply approval. As a Christian, you believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. I believe your reasoning on this is flawed, but I tolerate your point of view and I do not attempt to censor or bully you into changing it. I may use arguments to attempt to persuade you towards a different way of thinking - but, if they don't succeed, I still tolerate your right to hold a different point of view to mine, and I don't accuse you of being an intolerant bigot just because you have different ideas to mine. This, to me, is the absolute core of liberty.

Tolerance, as preached by some on the left, can become dangerously close to fanaticism, at times. There's a subtle sense of the closing down of debate in the name of tolerance.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #927
45:33

Local Time: 10:04 AM
By the way, Scotland plans to legalise same-sex marriage.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #928
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:04 AM
I think there's a fair chance Ireland will do likewise under the current government - remarkable, considering we only got around to decriminalising homosexaulity 17 years ago, and even now 90% of the population consider themselves RC.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #929
45:33

Local Time: 10:04 AM
And yet in Australia, where it's been decriminalised since the 70s/80s (I think?), where more than 50% of the population support same-sex marriage, where (I think) less than 50% identify as religious, we're nowhere near it. Neither of our major party leaders support it, despite one of them being atheist.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #930
Blue Crack Supplier

I dont see why I should tolerate your belief that I am less deserving of full citizenship than you.