Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #886
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i am all for equality and think the genders should be treated equally, but why do we have to pretend that they are the same? why shouldn't we wonder if a woman would cry if she were to, say, bomb Baghdad? and why shouldn't we be concerned that her breasts may get in the way of her making repairs to the international space station? men are not women, nor are women men. the American public has the right to know.

gender equity doesn't mean pretending that the genders are the same, and the way that we affirm that gender does indeed matter is to celebrate traditional marriage by telling Sally Ride's partner that she's no more important in the eyes of the law to than the woman who scooped Sally Ride's ice cream at Baskin Robbins.

gender matters. it makes babies.
Your post was so mean it made me cry, so I'm consoling myself with a bar of freeze-dried astronaut ice cream from the NASA museum, which was the only display there I understood, while my husband comes up with a retort for me to post.

In all seriousness, this kind of erasing of gay people's personal lives from public view and record is one of those inevitable corollaries of the 'defense of marriage' movement which its proponents, the less frankly contemptuous ones anyhow, apparently prefer to pretend doesn't exist, or is a totally separate issue. Everything from comfortably strolling down the street holding hands, to death benefits for the person you've shared half your years with...possibilities the rest of us take for granted.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #887
45:33

Local Time: 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i am all for equality and think the genders should be treated equally, but why do we have to pretend that they are the same? why shouldn't we wonder if a woman would cry if she were to, say, bomb Baghdad? and why shouldn't we be concerned that her breasts may get in the way of her making repairs to the international space station? men are not women, nor are women men. the American public has the right to know.

gender equity doesn't mean pretending that the genders are the same, and the way that we affirm that gender does indeed matter is to celebrate traditional marriage by telling Sally Ride's partner that she's no more important in the eyes of the law to than the woman who scooped Sally Ride's ice cream at Baskin Robbins.

gender matters. it makes babies.
I'd love to see a breakdown of your posts, to see what percentage are sarcastic

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #888
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Can't tell which or whose argument you're referring to, but at a minimum this doesn't sound like a halfway serious attempt to confront it.
You're right, it was an angry reaction to a portion of one person's post. It wasn't even worth it, but it was too late to edit.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #889
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:30 PM
I was going to start a thread about Sally Ride, figured there'd be little interest. To me she was a pioneer for women and someone for young girls to look up to.

I didn't even know she was gay-that's just not right and fair about her partner. I bet that NASA these days still isn't the most welcoming place for openly gay men and women-what's left of NASA.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #890
She's the One

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Everything from comfortably strolling down the street holding hands,
This is one of the many things we loved about Flagstaff when we were there a few weeks ago.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #891
Forum Moderator

Hmmm, I probably would've liked that about Flagstaff too, if I could only have found a f*ing place to park. Charming old town with an appealing student/hippie vibe, and obvs the natural environs are fantastic, but getting around and in/out of that place...rrrrggh.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #892
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I was going to start a thread about Sally Ride, figured there'd be little interest. To me she was a pioneer for women and someone for young girls to look up to.

I didn't even know she was gay-that's just not right and fair about her partner. I bet that NASA these days still isn't the most welcoming place for openly gay men and women-what's left of NASA.

We were talking about Sally Ride today. (Such a great name). I thought she was a significant first that resonated with me over the years and while I didn't follow her specifically, I always was interested when she was brought up in the news for something or other, including mentoring the other women astronauts. I felt very bad this morning.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #893
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I hadn't really thought about Sally Ride in 20-odd years and was not quite 12 when she made her first shuttle flight, but reading the articles about her death tonight brought back some pretty vivid memories of just how insulting the "journalistic" questions and attitudes aimed at a highly ambitious woman in the public eye could be, back in 1983. "Do you cry when things go wrong on the job?" "Will you wear a bra in space?" "Do you plan to have children?" Etc. Never mind the unthinkability of being an out lesbian (or bisexual, whatever) in that position at that time.
I think her own words in response to those questions are probably best quoted here and relate perfectly to all those who continue to be against gay marriage:

Quote:
“It’s too bad this is such a big deal. It is too bad our society isn’t further along.”
Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #894
She's the One

Quote:
Hmmm, I probably would've liked that about Flagstaff too, if I could only have found a f*ing place to park. Charming old town with an appealing student/hippie vibe, and obvs the natural environs are fantastic, but getting around and in/out of that place...rrrrggh.
We had no trouble. You should have let the man drive.

Oh wait, I drove.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #895
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I think her own words in response to those questions are probably best quoted here and relate perfectly to all those who continue to be against gay marriage:

Quote:
“It’s too bad this is such a big deal. It is too bad our society isn’t further along.”
Well, but see, it is a big deal, because critics of these radical social experiments have been silenced. For example, my high school history teacher who frequently condemned the "dumb broads" (i.e. feminists, Gloria Steinem being his favorite example) trying to sell us on the idea that women could seriously compete with men in the professions, or my Freshman Seminar prof who often reminisced about the halcyon years when men could enjoy real scholarly discussion without whiny, unserious women and minorities butting in--they wouldn't be able to get away with those expressions of conscience now, nor with their harmless practice of calling on female students (especially ones challenging them) using "sweetie" and "honey." Instead, the iron fist of the law stifles resistance to this radical alteration of 5000 years of tradition, and well-meaning male liberals are duped into thinking they're standing for "justice" and "equality" by rejecting such voices of dissent. Who is really being disrespected here?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #896
She's the One

It's gettin' uppity in here.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #897
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Target continues to not suck.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...12/07/26/44613
Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #898
Blue Crack Addict

Target was boycotted a couple of years ago for donating over a hundred grand to a GOP candidate for governor in MN- he was anti gay marriage.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #899
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't remember what I'd recently read about that. Like, yeah, the guy had some unfortunate political stances, but does that mean Target gave him money BECAUSE of that? No.

I think it says more that their direct actions as a company (i.e., the way they treat gay employees - don't they have inclusive policies?) than the donations they made. because let's be honest - lots of businesses and rich folks support Republicans because of financial stuff, not necessarily because they're making a stance about same-sex marriage.

It's like a thread I read about on a site discussing Starbucks decision to just go with local laws and not prohibit people from bringing in concealed weapons (where permissible by law). All the pro-gun commenters were all "Whoo-hoo! Now I'm going to go support Starbucks!" And then someone mentioned "Hey, aren't they a big liberal west coast company who just made a public stance supporting same-sex marriage?" And well, they just didn't know what to do with themselves.

Not every move by a company is a political statement. I would guess a lot of companies end up "supporting" conservative types of things because as a business, financially, there are reasons to Go Republican.

(Or maybe because you don't want your baristas having to tell people with guns they can't be in the store.)

I hope this post isn't all disjointed and junk - the site crashed (it may have just been my computer, because it randomly decides to not let me on sites every few hours) while I was editing.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #900
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
As much as I completely disagree with Chick-Fil-A's stance, I have strong reservations against the City of Boston actively working to ensure that no CFA branches open in the city for that reason.

As a Christian I believe the Bible teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman.

That said. I daily use products and services from companies that openly promote the homosexual agenda.

I'm not out trying to boycott them.

I don't understand the intolerance that many on the left seem to exhibit.

It is scary that this society seems so ready to censor or punish people that
disgaree with what they consider correct thought.