Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 49 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #721
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Wow. A 46 year old dad afraid his 2 year old son might beat him up. The Mrs Garrison character from Southpark sounds like a normal well-adjusted human being compared to this weirdo.

Quote:
Why do you think that the moms who picked you, picked you?

There's something I find fascinating, which is that a lot of these single moms will often want to pick two guys because it allows them psychologically to feel they will always be the only mother. So in a way, gay couples can have an advantage. Why me and Don? She told us she picked us because she liked "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and she thought we'd make awesome dads.
Ok, fair enough. Obviously, a satire.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #722
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Wow. A 46 year old dad afraid his 2 year old son might beat him up. The Mrs Garrison character from Southpark sounds like a normal well-adjusted human being compared to this weirdo.
Wow, you grossly misinterpreted that, but good thing you didn't let your own bias shape that assumption.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #723
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy

Ok, fair enough. Obviously, a satire.
I can hear the point sailing over your head from across the Atlantic. You must understand he does not think a 2-year-old can beat him up?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #724
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04
I only found out today that The Salvation Army is pretty homophobic from their website:
They also have a slogan, "doing the most good.". Beacause you know, it's a competition.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #725
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:44 PM
I'm not a member of the Salvation Army, but I'm not sure what part of this statement isn't compassionate.

Quote:
A disposition towards homosexuality is not in itself blameworthy nor is the disposition seen as rectifiable at will. The Army is sensitive to the complex social, emotional and spiritual needs of all people including those with homosexual inclinations. We oppose vilification of, or discrimination against, anyone on the grounds of sexual orientation. No person is excluded from membership, fellowship or service in the Army solely on the basis of sexual disposition.

Practising homosexuals are welcome to worship with, and join in the fellowship of The Salvation Army.

Regardless of sexual orientation, any person who yields to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, and determines, by God's grace, to live in accordance with the Scriptural principles outlined above, is welcomed and accorded all the benefits and privileges of membership in The Salvation Army.
It seems like they're trying to live according to their theological convictions but also human compassion. ?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #726
Blue Crack Supplier

the Salvation Army may be wrong, but i agree that it's at least respectfully phrased and reasoned, and as a passionate believer in pluralism and secularism this is precisely the thing that we should go out of our way to show our own tolerance for.

i noted in the last DC Pride parade a week or so ago that the loudest applause -- aside from the now out servicemembers -- were for the Mormons who held up signs saying "Mormons for Marriage." people were running out of the crowd and hugging these people and thanking them. after all of the ugliness that's come out of Salt Lake, from over the decades with "reparative therapy" to their machinations in Prop 8, it was lovely to see individuals step up who may hold religious objections or convictions but this does not cloud their view of what civil equality means in a secular pluralistic nation.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #727
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977
I'm not a member of the Salvation Army, but I'm not sure what part of this statement isn't compassionate.

It seems like they're trying to live according to their theological convictions but also human compassion. ?
Which is what makes people like Christopher Hitchens seem all the more correct.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #728
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Which is what makes people like Christopher Hitchens seem all the more correct.
How so?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #729
Blue Crack Addict

I will explain in greater depth later, but I basically read a long essay that can be summed up as, "Love the sinner, hate the sin."
Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #730
Blue Crack Supplier

i find Christians who, for example, don't support something like universal health care to be much more deserving of scorn by people like Hitchens.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #731
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
How so?
As far as most people are concerned, the Salvation Army is a series of stores that sell discount goods by purchasing things cheaply from people who would otherwise just throw them out. Old clothes and piece of furniture that are out of style or no longer fit, but could help someone. This is a good thing. This is something that helps people.

So why does such an organization have to take stances on political issues? It's because of this terrible, awful belief that morality cannot exist without religion. And because of its religious nature, it feels the need to get political, because that's what religious organizations do in this country.

So, you have this organization that does good things going around telling gay people that they're sinful if they practice homosexuality, because the Bible says so. This is an organization, mind you, that calls itself the Salvation Army because it is fighting a "war against sin." And now it's posting things like this about one specific sin, and trying to look compassionate just by saying it respects gays despite themselves and the fact that they are going to Hell if they attempt to enter a relationship of any kind.

"Love the sinner, hate the sin." It's one of the most frustrating defenses of religious intolerance. "Oh, I don't hate you, I just hate what you are."

Hitchens spoke of how religion poisons everything. The Salvation Army sits in a place in this culture where it could be one of the few truly good things. It is an organization that performs a service, that operates a very noble business, and then feels obligated to pump itself up as a religious entity by throwing gays under the bus in a "compassionate manner."

No one asked the Salvation Army to take a stance on this. No one has questioned their credentials. It's entirely unnecessary piling on, a thinly veiled statement of unity with its Christian brethren, a reminder that, "Hey, we too have religious chops." I can't see what else it is possibly good for.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #732
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i find Christians who, for example, don't support something like universal health care to be much more deserving of scorn by people like Hitchens.
Of course.

But I hate the idea that this would be applauded simply because it's more polite than other people telling you that you are going to Hell.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #733
Blue Crack Supplier

but i can also politely tell them to go to hell themselves. whereas denying me a legal right is a much different thing. no one has to be nice to me. they just can't deny me rights they themselves enjoy.

i take the broader point -- just how compassionate are you if you think a sexual orientation is going to send you to hell?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #734
Blue Crack Addict

I understand that there are bigger fish to fry and more important battles to be fought. I was just simply irked by the idea that this was compassionate, that's all.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #735
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Wow, that's some moral quandary right there. I personally, in that situation, I'd think about it for maybe 5 milliseconds, then take the money.
I honestly don't know if you're being serious or not with this post. But I do think the question I posed is worth considering.

As for the quote from nathan...

Quote:
We oppose vilification of, or discrimination against, anyone on the grounds of sexual orientation.
I guess here's the thing. Okay, they oppose that stuff, fantastic, great. I would hope anyone with any sense of humanity in them would be opposed to such things. We're on the same side there, then.

But then why can't they just go the extra step and just not see homosexuality as something sinful to begin with? Why can't they just see homosexuality the way they would see heterosexuality, as something normal?