Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #601
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:54 PM
So has deep changed his web persona from 'random disembodied viewpoint generator' to 'empathetic ear of equal opinion'?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #602
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
So has deep changed his web persona from 'random disembodied viewpoint generator' to 'empathetic ear of equal opinion'?
No, his username should still be "Self-Appointed Devil's Advocate."

Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #603
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Sees like it. I truly do not see what the point is in making those responses. If someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. But that doesn't mean they're all right. Sometimes you should keep them to yourself if you know that it'll disrespect a lot of people unrightfully.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #604
Blue Crack Addict

Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #605
45:33

Local Time: 07:54 AM
I've seen that a few times... was it a mockup that was somehow leaked? They didn't actually go to print with that did they?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #606
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's real. They have to compete with the breastfeeding four year old.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #607
Blue Crack Addict

Not that anyone cares, but did anyone see Bristol Palin's criticism of Obama's gay marriage stance? I think I'll finally join Facebook, her posts inspire me to.

Huffington Post

Bristol Palin is not satisfied with President Obama's explanation of how he evolved to support gay marriage--by talking with his family and friends.

"You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples," Obama said in the ABC interview in which he made his announcement. "There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently."

Bristol writes in a Facebook post that fathers should shape their kids' views, not the other way around:

"While it’s great to listen to your kids’ ideas, there’s also a time when dads simply need to be dads. In this case, it would’ve been helpful for him to explain to Malia and Sasha that while her friends parents are no doubt lovely people, that’s not a reason to change thousands of years of thinking about marriage. Or that – as great as her friends may be – we know that in general kids do better growing up in a mother/father home. Ideally, fathers help shape their kids’ worldview."

Bristol has a son with her ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston, but the two were never married and Bristol says that Levi is not part of the child's life.

Bristol also accuses liberals of being critical of Christian women who bow to their husbands--and says the same scrutiny should apply to Obama being influenced by his family. She brings up a debate question that Michele Bachmann was asked about submitting to her husband but fails to mention that Bachmann started the controversy in 2006 when she said, "The Lord says: Be submissive, wives. You are to be submissive to your husbands." Bristol writes:

" Let’s pause for just one second. When Christian women run for high office, people inevitably bring up the question of submission. Once, Michele Bachmann, for example, was asked during a debate, “As president, would you be submissive to your husband?”

People automatically assume that a Christian female President isn’t capable of making decisions without her spouse’s stamp of approval. (I should add female Republican candidates –liberal women don’t get the same kind of questions.)

So are all those reporters who feared excessive family intervention in the White House all up in arms over the President’s announcement yesterday? Um. Not quite."
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #608
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:54 PM
Unless she had that kid the same way Mary did in the bible, Bristol is just as much a sinner as a homosexual according to her religious belief.

Aside from that, I'm not sure anyone cares what Bristol thinks.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #609
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:54 PM
Quote:
it would’ve been helpful for him to explain to Malia and Sasha that while her friends parents are no doubt lovely people, that’s not a reason to change thousands of years of thinking about marriage. Or that – as great as her friends may be – we know that in general kids do better growing up in a mother/father home. Ideally, fathers help shape their kids’ worldview."

Bristol has a son with her ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston, but the two were never married and Bristol says that Levi is not part of the child's life.

Uhm, what was that saying again? Do as I say, not as I do?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

She also said something about kids who are getting their views on gay marriages from watching too many episodes of Glee. Yes, I'm sure that's why kids think gay people deserve equality.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #611
Blue Crack Supplier

seems newsweek forgot that we've already had 2 gay presidents.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #612
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Aside from that, I'm not sure anyone cares what Bristol thinks.
Someone obviously cared enough to ask her. I'm not sure WHY, but apparently someone cares.

Her bullshit has been duly noted.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #613
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Uhm, what was that saying again? Do as I say, not as I do?
My thoughts exactly. But not at all surprising-seems to be the mantra of her family in general .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
Of course being gay is a choice - no one is forcing you to love someone of your own sex, you do it because you want to - that's what a free choice is.

Take me for example, I have a lot of attractive female co-workers in my office and the fact that I don't sleep with anyone of them is because I choose not to, nor am I inclined to - BUT if I wanted to I would......because that's my choice.
You are confusing attraction (not a choice) with acting on said attraction (a choice).

You cannot control whom you find yourself attracted to. You can only control whether or not to act on your feelings for that person. And that applies to gay, straight, and bisexual people.

Again, though, whether or not one's sexual orientation is a choice should be irrelevant. Either way it's still nobody else's business to tell them they can't be with someone they love, especially if they don't have any logical reasons as to why.

From that thing about Romney a couple pages back:

Quote:
bringing much of the audience to its feet in cheers by declaring: "Marriage is a relationship between one man and one woman."
Sigh.

See, if you read that and don't see that as cruel or disrespectful, I don't know what to tell you anymore. Cheering at the idea of stopping gay couples from being able to be together is just heartless. Sorry, Cori's got the right idea here-there's no justification for this line of thinking. None. Get over yourselves and your little prejudices, think for yourselves instead of letting the Bible do it all for you, and enter the 21st century already. This is beyond ridiculous.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #614
45:33

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Last night on one of our political talk shows, a member of the crowd asked the right-wing MP Joe Hockey why he is against same-sex marriage, and why he thinks he can be a parent but MP Penny Wong, who is in a lesbian relationship, cannot. Her reply was stunning.

Penny Wong v Joe Hockey over Gay Marriage on Q and A (14--05-2012) - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
seems newsweek forgot that we've already had 2 gay presidents.
I was going to ask about this... who were they?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #615
Blue Crack Supplier

James Buchanan and Abraham Lincoln.