Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #571
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Now that I can see the posts again (as long as I don't go to the previous page), let's go on topic again.
This was an interesting thing I saw yesterday:
Bush '04 pollster: Change in attitudes on gay marriage across the board - POLITICO.com
Quote:
Former President George W. Bush's pollster for his 2004 re-election, Jan van Lohuizen, has put out a memo to Republican operatives suggesting a shift in the way the GOP discusses same-sex marriage
Quote:
“As people who promote personal responsibility, family values, commitment and stability, and emphasize freedom and limited government we have to recognize that freedom means freedom for everyone. This includes the freedom to decide how you live and to enter into relationships of your choosing, the freedom to live without excessive interference of the regulatory force of government."
But it looks like Romney didn't get that memo. Romney seeks evangelical votes; opposes gay marriage | Reuters
Quote:
Romney went right at the latest hot-button issue, bringing much of the audience to its feet in cheers by declaring: "Marriage is a relationship between one man and one woman."

Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #572
Refugee

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
Feeling bad? She's old enough to have gained some knowledge, but chose for ignorance and stupidity.
Yeah, you're right. But even if it is wilful ignorance and hatred, that's still something to pity - that someone would decide to focus on hatred and not tolerance. What a sad existence that must be!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #573
Galeonbroad

I wonder how most Republican people would look at the change Romney made from the Bush administration. Would they claim he's being ignorant, or that Bush was too soft?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #574
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Polygamy is a choice. Wanting to marry your brother is a choice. Wanting to marry your pet goat is a choice.

Being gay is not.
Of course being gay is a choice - no one is forcing you to love someone of your own sex, you do it because you want to - that's what a free choice is.

Take me for example, I have a lot of attractive female co-workers in my office and the fact that I don't sleep with anyone of them is because I choose not to, nor am I inclined to - BUT if I wanted to I would......because that's my choice.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #575
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
Of course being gay is a choice - no one is forcing you to love someone of your own sex, you do it because you want to - that's what a free choice is.

Take me for example, I have a lot of attractive female co-workers in my office and the fact that I don't sleep with anyone of them is because I choose not to, nor am I inclined to - BUT if I wanted to I would......because that's my choice.
How is that comparable? Being gay or not being gay has nothing to do with practicing it. For your example, you have a lot of attractive females, that said, you are attracted to them. Do you have a choice in that? No. You either are attracted to someone or not. The CHOICE of not doing anything with that is yours.

Nobody who is gay or who is straight does this because they WANT to. It's because they are.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #576
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are you serious? How did you get that from what I said? I was just showing how flawed your line of reasoning was.

As far as the polygamy argument, that doesn't even warrant a response. You are smarter than that, much smarter.
Well, I said that the president shouldn' have said anything that would alienate certain segments of the population and you interjected slavery into the equation - which really isn't the same thing.

As for Polygamists - why should they be discriminated against? Why should gay marriage be legal while polygamy isn't?

btw - thanks for the compliment - I think that you're very smart yourself....
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #577
War Child

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #578
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono

So you're bisexual?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #579
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Of course being gay is a choice
Quite possibly the most ignorant thing I've read on these boards. I don't mean ignorant as in rude, I mean uninformed and unintelligent
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #580
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

The fact that you are not inclined to means that you are not sexually attracted to them.

It's not that I have only slept with men by choice, it's because I feel no sexual attraction towards women.

Jeez, who in this day and age still thinks that homosexuality is a choice?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #581
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram
Jeez, who in this day and age still thinks that homosexuality is a choice?
Probably about half of the population of the United States
Old 05-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #582
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well, I said that the president shouldn' have said anything that would alienate certain segments of the population and you interjected slavery into the equation - which really isn't the same thing.

As for Polygamists - why should they be discriminated against? Why should gay marriage be legal while polygamy isn't?

btw - thanks for the compliment - I think that you're very smart yourself....
Do you not believe that views of slavery being wrong didn't alienate certain segments of the population? Simple question.

I want you to take off the Bill O'Reiley glasses and look at this question from a logical standpoint:
Quote:
Why should gay marriage be legal while polygamy isn't?
^What part of this question makes any sense to you? Could you subsitute straight marriage into the question and it still make sense? Let's try it:

Why should straight marriage be legal while polygamy isn't? Nope, that line of logic doesn't work at all. Two people getting married isn't the same as one person marrying 12 people.

Lets try and make stronger arguments please.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #583
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Probably about half of the population of the United States
That is pretty damn disturbing..
Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #584
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I didn't hold my breath and die this morning, so I CHOSE to breathe.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #585
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:43 PM
Quote:

I suggest you read a modern child development textbook and actually look into the brain's development in the womb. You might end up thinking otherwise.