Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #496
Refugee

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Look, I'm just saying that this will open a very large (and dangerous) Pandora's box. Mainly, other groups will come out and say "well, if the president endorses gay marriage then why shouldn't he endorse polygamy as well?"....etc....etc.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #497
Refugee

Local Time: 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
We should have waited until the whole country was against slavery too, right?
Are you saying that gay marriage is as bad as slavery was? cos that wasn't what I said at all.....

Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #498
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
Look, I'm just saying that this will open a very large (and dangerous) Pandora's box. Mainly, other groups will come out and say "well, if the president endorses gay marriage then why shouldn't he endorse polygamy as well?"....etc....etc.
and those groups are idiots. i'm fully aware there are people out there who think legalising gay marriage is the first step to legalising bestiality, pedophilia, etc. but that doesn't mean our president and vice president should stay quiet on the issue if they don't want to. them speaking out and saying they're for this is a great way to bring more publicity (in a good way) to the issue and to also educate people that no, no one's suggesting people should also marry their cat, cousin*, or child.

*yes that's legal in some states but i was going for alliteration, k
Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:21 AM
n/m
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #500
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono
No one has made a reasonable argument against gay marriage. Plenty of people have made reasonable arguments against polygamy. What about this is not getting through to you?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #501
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Polygamy is a choice. Wanting to marry your brother is a choice. Wanting to marry your pet goat is a choice.

Being gay is not.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #502
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:21 AM
Quote:
Fine with me. Personally, I don't want my country to be represented by those groups of people.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #503
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono

Are you saying that gay marriage is as bad as slavery was? cos that wasn't what I said at all.....
Are you serious? How did you get that from what I said? I was just showing how flawed your line of reasoning was.

As far as the polygamy argument, that doesn't even warrant a response. You are smarter than that, much smarter.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #504
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

true, some fools and idiots will say that. they've already said that. and yet, somehow, we're no closer to legalizing polygamy than we were 20 years ago.

of course, 100 years ago, the Romneys were polygamists who had to flee to Mexico. so any idea that it's been "one man + one woman" for thousands of years is a lie.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #505
The Male

Local Time: 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511

true, some fools and idiots will say that. they've already said that.
Seriously. I laughed pretty hard when AchtungBono revealed that to be the source of his fears. Dbs and his ilk have been regurgitating that argument for years right here on Interference.

Now.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #506
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:21 AM
If we let gays marry, then they'll just let men marry goats if they want to! This is unacceptable!

What if people can marry machines, even? This won't help us avoid the Singularity, that's for sure.

Who ever thought that same-sex civil rights would lead to half man-half Segways enslaving humanity?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #507
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 04:21 PM
Quote:
Maybe it does. And then so what? Why should we care that some idiots think that, when it's quite clear the majority doesn't? There will always be morons, you can't avoid them. So why should you want to cater THEIR wills and believes, when they're obviously heavily outdated and sometimes just plain wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
No one has made a reasonable argument against gay marriage. Plenty of people have made reasonable arguments against polygamy. What about this is not getting through to you?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #508
Blue Crack Supplier

Thank you President Obama for helping to make life for gays & lesbians that much easier and wonderful should they want to marry their same-sex partner!

Long live LOVE!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #509
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post

What if people can marry machines, even? This won't help us avoid the Singularity, that's for sure.

Who ever thought that same-sex civil rights would lead to half man-half Segways enslaving humanity?
thanks for sharing that
I am really not that deep of a thinker

I may have to reevaluate my support on this issue.

when Jules Verne wrote his Man to the Moon and Leagues Under the Sea books 150 years ago, everyone laughed

but we have learned that Science Fiction can become Science Fact!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #510
Blue Crack Addict

well, this take a bit of the bloom off of the rose

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/us...&smid=tw-share