Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Christian I believe the Bible teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman.

That said. I daily use products and services from companies that openly promote the homosexual agenda.

I'm not out trying to boycott them.

I don't understand the intolerance that many on the left seem to exhibit.

It is scary that this society seems so ready to censor or punish people that
disgaree with what they consider correct thought.
What is a homosexual agenda and who promotes it?

Some conservatives choose not to give their money to businesses who take stances they disagree with. Some liberals do the same. Big whoop. That's not censorship or intolerance, that's spending your money where you choose to spend your money, based on reasons that you don't have to defend to anyone.

I have to agree with the reservations about what Boston is doing re Tasty Chicken Lived a Sad Life*, though.

*close enough, yeah? :wink:

I'm not out trying to boycott them.
You may not be, but plenty of antigay and/or anti-SSM Americans are. Just for starters, visit the American Family Association's homepage for a rundown of their current actions against JC Penney, Office Depot, Target, Sears, and Home Depot. (And their planned "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day" on August 1.)

Actual intervention by a city government to prevent the local spread of a chain does admittedly raise some other issues, and might or might not be opening a can of worms in a way these politicians didn't foresee or intend.

Last edited:

Are you a libertarian or not?

Should my hard-earned money not be mine to spend however I see fit?

I just love that the left is being called "intolerant" for daring to suggest supporting anti-gay attitudes is a bad idea.

Once again, anti-gay rights people: You are entitled to your views. And we are entitled to not agree with those views and claim them to be wrong if we so wish. Being free to have a viewpoint/opinion does NOT mean you are also automatically free from criticism of said viewpoint/opinion.

Also, "do unto others", "eye for an eye", and all that. You want to show intolerance towards gay people, don't be surprised, then, when you get that same intolerance in return.

To me, there's an absolutely enormous difference between people boycotting CFA over this and cities (not only Boston, but now Chicago and Philadelphia) taking any sort of official action against CFA. I'm not actually generally a fan of boycotts myself (although it's irrelevant for me, because I won't eat at CFA for other reasons), but there's nothing really fundamentally wrong with other people doing it. It's just a way of exercising freedom of speech, and CFA isn't being oppressed if the left uses their stance on gay marriage as a reason to boycott them. Neither is Target being oppressed if the right does something similar.

I really have problems with government actions against CFA, and I don't see how they'd hold any water in any federal court. It's a pretty blatant attack on the right to free speech of the owners of CFA. I find their opinions pretty disgusting myself, but come on.

Also, "do unto others", "eye for an eye", and all that. You want to show intolerance towards gay people, don't be surprised, then, when you get that same intolerance in return.

Exactly. Well said.

I saw a Facebook meme not too long ago (odd source, I know) that showed a pic of an Orthodox Jew and explained that while pork is against his religion, he does not go around trying to ban it altogether from the public sphere. That says a lot about how religious people should balance their beliefs with the rest of the world.

PhilsFan said:
What is a homosexual agenda and who promotes it?

When he tells you, please let a homosexual like myself know what it is.

It's interesting to be yourself, your existence, an object of disagreement.

I'm not one to boycott stores where the ownership has views I disagree with, but in this case I make an exception. I just can't go there anymore. That said, I have an issue with governments blocking them from opening stores. Let the consumers make a statement with their wallets.

Also, the owner of the Hollywood store released a statement saying all franchises are independently owned and they don't necessarily agree with the views of their founder.

And do you understand the intolerance of the right, or do you just choose to ignore it?
I've always heard the right say that this is part of capitalism. Do you no longer believe in capitalism and freedom of speech when it's against an intolerance you believe in?

Also, the owner of the Hollywood store released a statement saying all franchises are independently owned and they don't necessarily agree with the views of their founder.
that's a good point. though some of what each franchise earns will find its way back to the cathys. too bad i can't go to a franchise that isn't bigoted and pay under the table. :lol:

there's a same sex kiss protest that's supposed to happen today at chick-fil-as and the owner of one in southaven, ms (a suburb of memphis) said he welcomes them. it kinda surprised me. granted it'd probably be bad pr to be like "stay away fags" but he could've just not gone on the local news (if he didn't approve i mean), it's not like it's the only cfa in town.

Interesting to me that in WA state, gay marriage was passed through the legislature and signed off by the governor. Yet, the anti-gay marriage crowd raised up a stink and started a petition. Aren't we repeatedly told that the issue with gay marriage is that activist judges are forcing it upon citizens against their will? So if the elected legislators also can't do it, then who?

Ayup.

WA is totally gung-ho about voter initiatives, for better or for worse. Although even though Seattle voted down the plastic bag ban, the city went ahead and did it anyway.

There was a good article about how those initiatives are driven by massive funding from businesses, even if those businesses might be out of state. It's pretty messed up. I don't know if it's relevant to post here or not, so I won't dig for the link right now. It was either in The Stranger or Seattle Weekly.

The mayor of Boston has backed off of his CFA rant. He said yesterday that it's his job as mayor to give his opinion (to me he went way beyond that), and he admitted that he got carried away with another of his "Meninoisms". Obviously he knows he has no authority to stop CFA. Believe it or not many people here disagree with what the mayor said and don't support it.

If CFA discriminated against gay employees, or didn't hire them, or mistreated gay customers then yes, I'd have a problem with it. But I believe in the freedom of choice of consumers, and not in the govt making that choice for us. Like someone mentioned, CFA is a franchise and not everyone supports the CEO's position. And they shouldn't be punished for it either. I don't like what the head chicken guy said, and I wouldn't go there anyway, regardless of that-but I want to have the right to exercise that choice.

We all consume things everyday, and use services-and we have no idea what the political and moral beliefs of the people behind them are.

Oh well, at least Tim Thomas stands behind CFA. I heard they sent plenty of chicken to his bunker where he makes his hit and run Facebook posts from, and thanks God that he got out of crazy Beantown.

Who here is going to boycott Chick Fil A? Who said they would? I'm not. I just wouldn't find myself in there because I'm an extremely picky eater. Would really have nothing to do with gay marriage. If I was actually going to boycott it, I'd have to find out the position on gay marriage of every place I spend money in. And that would be the corporate office and/or one person in that office. Not the individual store or franchise. Unless I just randomly bring that up at the register.

The only place I unofficially "boycott" is Walmart, just because I find what I've read about their business practices to be repugnant. And I'm not a snob but frankly I find it to be icky too :wink: No offense to anyone who shops there. But the Walmart where I live, yes that's what it's like.

I don't remember any of you "boycotting" Senator or President Obama when he held the same position.

Yeah, no one ever expressed any disappointment over his previous stance.

What were people supposed to do, stop paying taxes in protest?

Come on.

INDY500 said:
I don't remember any of you "boycotting" Senator or President Obama when he held the same position.

Was Obama making free lunch for forces who seek my total social destruction?

Hear hear. Tolerance is often misunderstood.

Tolerance does not necessarily imply approval. As a Christian, you believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. I believe your reasoning on this is flawed, but I tolerate your point of view and I do not attempt to censor or bully you into changing it. I may use arguments to attempt to persuade you towards a different way of thinking - but, if they don't succeed, I still tolerate your right to hold a different point of view to mine, and I don't accuse you of being an intolerant bigot just because you have different ideas to mine. This, to me, is the absolute core of liberty.

Tolerance, as preached by some on the left, can become dangerously close to fanaticism, at times. There's a subtle sense of the closing down of debate in the name of tolerance.

I think there's a fair chance Ireland will do likewise under the current government - remarkable, considering we only got around to decriminalising homosexaulity 17 years ago, and even now 90% of the population consider themselves RC.

And yet in Australia, where it's been decriminalised since the 70s/80s (I think?), where more than 50% of the population support same-sex marriage, where (I think) less than 50% identify as religious, we're nowhere near it. Neither of our major party leaders support it, despite one of them being atheist.

:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom