Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Yeah, I saw a clip of that on TV recently. I don't quite know why we needed to hear about that guy, either.

TLC has some of the weirdest programming sometimes, I swear...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #332
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:29 PM
mock the devil and he will flee from thee?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #333
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:29 AM
"I said no mayonnaise. Fuck!" LOL

I think the irony might be a little too over-the-top to form the basis for a broad-based boycott, unfortunately the truly funny stuff usually is. Pro-choice groups have been urging boycotts of Domino's for decades without much success. Or much humor, for that matter...then again, now that things have gotten so surreal what with all the transvaginal probes and legally empowered embryos and sluts OD'ing on the Pill, maybe it's time to consider the possibilities.

I've never been to CfA since their fried chicken isn't kosher and they don't really serve much else.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #334
Blue Crack Supplier

interesting that during the "rap" she does mention how the chicken isn't kosher.

this is a boycott we struggle with in our apartment. Memphis *loves* it, especially the chicken biscuits for breakfast. it's not big in DC, but there is one within walking distance from where i work, and it gets tempting on Fridays. and, yes, it is good. but since i never grew up with it, it's not hard for me to boycott.

i often find drag tiresome, but this is drag queens doing what they do best. this is the best online drag performance i've seen since "Sh*t Black Girls Say."

which i'm now going to post somewhere else ...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #335
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:29 AM
CNN, Mar. 28
Quote:
A national group opposed to same-sex marriage aimed to fight it by driving "a wedge between gays and blacks" and identifying "glamorous" Latino artists and athletes to advocate traditional marriage, according to newly released confidential memos. The strategies were among several pursued by the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), which has actively campaigned against same-sex marriage efforts.
Quote:
Most of the memos were written in 2009. The president of NOM did not dispute the authenticity of the memos, saying in an online statement, "Gay marriage is not a civil right."

The memos highlight several efforts to fight same-sex marriage initiatives, which NOM contended were backed by the "pro-gay Obama agenda." "The Latino vote in America is a key swing vote, and will be so even more so in the future because of demographic growth," one NOM memo states. "Will the process of assimilation to the dominant Anglo culture lead Hispanics to abandon traditional family values? We can interrupt this process of assimilation by making support for marriage a key badge of Latino identity." Plans included Spanish language radio and TV ads, pamphlets and YouTube videos.

NOM also targeted what it termed "Democratic power bosses" it claimed were inclined to put the interests of gay rights groups "over the values of African-Americans." "The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks--two key Democratic constituencies," another memo states. "Find, equip, energize and connect African-American spokespeople for marriage; develop a media campaign around their objections to gay marriage as a civil right; provoke the gay marriage base into responding by denouncing these spokesmen and women as bigots. No politician wants to take up and push an issue that splits the base of the party."

NOM argued "gay marriage is the tip of the spear, the weapon that will be and is being used to marginalize and repress Christianity and the Church."

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #336
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:29 PM
As a lonely voice here against same-sex marriage that has:

A) Taken Irvine to task many times over, what I consider, a poor analogy between same-sex marriage and the struggle of black Americans to gain equality.

B) Criticized advocates of same-sex marriage for bullying tactics (publicizing the addresses of prop 8 supporters, refusing to acknowledge dissent as anything other than homophobia, boycotts, etc).

I find this revelation not only embarrassing but truly distressing. Traditional marriage is worth defending and preserving... but not like this.

Shame on the National Organization for Marriage.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Respect.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #338
45:33

Local Time: 01:29 PM
One of the best shows on TV here, Adam Hills In Gordon St Tonight, did a mass gay TV wedding last night. It was awesome.

Adam Hills IGST | The Mass Same-Sex TV Wedding | Wednesdays 8:30pm on ABC1 - YouTube
Old 03-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #339
Vocal parasite

Seriously, that is easily one of the best things I've ever seen on telly.

When Spicks & Specks ended, I wondered how Adam Hills was meant to top it. Well, now we know.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #340
ONE
love, blood, life

They love their wedge strategies, dont they?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #341
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 12:29 PM
I missed the start but saw most of it. It was great that they kept the laughs but really drove home the message. The love in the room towards the end of the vows was undeniable.

I can marry, divorce, and do it all again within a year or two but my aunt is denied the choice to commit to her long time partner? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #342
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
mock the devil and he will flee from thee?

Chow Down (at Chick-fil-A) - YouTube

this has also been the best thing i've seen this week and i had to put it somewhere.
When the fat dude said "I know what I want" I lol'd fo' real
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #343
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin
I missed the start but saw most of it. It was great that they kept the laughs but really drove home the message. The love in the room towards the end of the vows was undeniable.

I can marry, divorce, and do it all again within a year or two but my aunt is denied the choice to commit to her long time partner? Doesn't make sense to me.
Watching that just made me realise how stupid it is gays can't marry. That's probably the closest many of them will come for years.

Definitely give Karl Stefanovic the Gold Piece of Shit though.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #344
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
When the fat dude said "I know what I want" I lol'd fo' real

that's my favorite part too!

appreciated, INDY.

another part of the NOM documents: they apparently set aside $120,000 to bribe the children of gay parents to go on TV and trash them.

how pro-family.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:29 PM
kids of straight parents ARE better

they do that for free.