Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jezebel.com

Poll Shows Many Religious Groups Support Gay Marriage

A new poll shows that, perhaps unsurprisingly, young people are far more likely to support gay marriage than older ones. More surprising, however, is that several religious groups are now in support of marriage equality.

According to the Public Religion Research Institute, 62% of millennials (people aged 18 to 29) favor gay marriage, while only 31% of those over 65 say the same. Not too shocking, although it's worth noting that the poll also found an increase in support for gay marriage over the last five years, suggesting that views are changing. There's good reason to hope that by the time millennials are senior citizens, their pro-equality views will dominate.

The PRRI notes that "conventional wisdom" dictates that religious people oppose gay marriage. However, their poll found that 67% of non-Christians who identify as religious are in favor of marriage equality. So are 52% of Catholics and 51% of mainline Protestants. Evangelical Protestants are largely anti-gay marriage, but the percentage differs by race. Seventy-six percent of white evangelicals are against the practice, while only 60% of black evangelicals are. This contradicts the notion, advanced by Dan Savage and others, that black Americans are disproportionately homophobic. Another interesting finding: a majority of religious people of all denominations (including evangelical Christians) believe that "negative messages from America's places of worship" contribute to the suicides of gay youth. Sounds like it's time for religious groups to start making change from within.

Public Religion Research - Research

They polled our politicians here the other day... and I think most of them were in opposition to it. :sigh: Now, more than ever, I can't possibly fathom how anyone who would not describe themselves as homophobic or bigoted, could be against it.

jezebel.com
Another interesting finding: a majority of religious people of all denominations (including evangelical Christians) believe that "negative messages from America's places of worship" contribute to the suicides of gay youth. Sounds like it's time for religious groups to start making change from within.
Public Religion Research - Research

:up:

...Now, more than ever, I can't possibly fathom how anyone who would not describe themselves as homophobic or bigoted, could be against it.

Exactly. As someone who wasn't always raised in a loving environment, I can tell you that it's absolutely the most important thing -- no matter the parents' (or parent's) gender... The inspiring story Irvine posted on Josh underscores that fact.

I love the people who say they aren't homophobic, that they support gay marriage, but they don't think gay parents should be able to adopt or do surrogacy, because "then the child will grow up thinking that's normal", like predisposing a child to two dads instead of a dad and a mum will make the kid gay, and that they should have a mum and a dad to get that even balance.

I love the people who say they aren't homophobic, that they support gay marriage, but they don't think gay parents should be able to adopt or do surrogacy...

That's just another example of attitudes driven by ignorance and historically predominant views... If something were to happen to me after I have kids, I would put the gay friends I know at the very top of the list to take them in.

I like it when someone who has gay friends say they only support civil unions. Sometimes I feel like telling those friends of theirs what that person really thinks about homosexuality, because it is telling.

Rick Santorum Gay Parents Argument | Rick Santorum | Video | Mediaite

GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum got into a heated discussion with a student at Penn State recently over the issue of same-sex parents and their impact on the development of their children.

Santorum, upset over being called a “bigot” by CNN’s Piers Morgan, pointed to the Bible and Roman Catholic teaching to bolster his beliefs regarding same-sex marriage and parenting, asking how 2,000 years of moral theology could be considered bigotry. And he was worried, he said, about the implications of allowing gay marriage and gay parents:

This has profound consequence to the entire ecology, moral ecology, of America. It will undermine the family. It will destroy faith in America. And does anybody go out there and make the argument as to why this is a good thing, because it will happen. Make the argument why this is right. I don’t hear those arguments.

“There are plenty of arguments,” replied one student, who doesn’t appear on camera. When asked to elaborate, she said it was “extremely unfair” of Santorum to say that there no social science reports suggesting children fared just fine with two same-sex parents, because there are actually a whole slew of them. (In fact, one such study recently made headlines of its own.)

The two then argued about the legitimacy of the American Psychological Association, and, well. A resolution was not reached, to say the least.

Take a look at their discussion, taking note of the awkwardness and cringing it caused in the students standing along the back wall

The Santorum thing has been a hot topic in the paper, and the conservatives on campus are all hot and bothered that a "minor protest" outside about gay rights was given attention in the paper.

Just watching one of Louis Theroux's docos... he's living with a Westboro family. Infuriating. They were out picketing and a 7yo kid got hit by a car... and their parents think they have the right to make judgements?????

I need a fucking drink.

I've turned it off. Making me too angry

Can someone explain to me how these people are allowed to do this? Why aren't they arrested? Why hasn't someone come along and kicked the shit out of them? I dont get it

Getting worked up about the WBC is about as worthwhile as getting worked up about some random YouTube commenter calling Bono fat and untalented. If it's your relative's funeral they're picketing or your town's recent disaster they've arrived to celebrate, then maybe. They're a teensy inbred clan of professional provocateurs with several law degrees between them who thrive on attention and know exactly how far they can push the First Amendment (and profit from it too, through lawsuits). Unfortunately some outside the US have been given the impression that the Phelpses are actually 'representative' of some cultural niche or another, that you can perhaps learn something about fundamentalists/rednecks/American homophobia/American anti-Semitism/American anti-Catholicism/whatever by paying attention to them. You can't. If they're revealing of anything beyond their own profitably bizarre grotesqueness, it's just how strong our country's protections of free speech are.

Last edited:
Um..did they call for a boycott over Bristol Palin, unwed teen Mom?

Don't think kids will even notice-full family showness would remain intact.

I love Carson-and his book did not do that at all as far as I know.

:rolleyes:

One Million Moms.com - Issue details

'Dancing with the Stars' has Spun Out of Control!

Some families have already decided against watching Dancing with the Stars because of the skimpy costumes and provocative dance routines, but now they have gone too far! This year, not only are they casting Carson Kressley from Carson-Nation, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, and How to Look Good Naked, but also transgender Chaz Bono- child to Sonny and Cher- from the documentary Becoming Chaz will be appearing in the show. Both are LGBT rights advocates and promote this destructive lifestyle. DWTS is helping them create visibility for the LGBT community.

This is completely unacceptable and Christians should not watch the show, no excuses! Kressley will be paired up with a female dancer, and since Chasity, transformed to Chaz after her sex change in 2009, will also be paired with a female dancer.

To push the envelope even further for a program that could be a family show but is obviously not, Kressley is also author of the children's book You're Different and That's Super, a children's book promoting the homosexual lifestyle to children.

Bono is the show's first transgender contestant and has served as Entertainment Media Director for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). Herndon Graddick, senior director of programs for GLAAD, said in a statement, "At a time when transgender representation in the media is sorely lacking, Chaz Bono joining the cast is a tremendous step forward for the public to recognize that transgender people are another wonderful part of the fabric of American culture."

TAKE ACTION

Email ABC Network and let them know that we will not tolerate these subjects being forced into our homes. DWTS airs 8/7 central when children are awake and Christian families will not enhance the ratings by watching the show when it returns September 19 unless this issue is taken care of and these cast members are replaced (Kressley was added last minute anyway because of another cast member's injury).
Send Your Letter Now!

Eh, it's nothing to be sorry for; I was pretty aghast the first time I encounted footage of them too, I'd imagine most Americans were. It's just they've been at this crap for 20+ years now, and at some point you realize they're ultimately just out to shock and outrage people for profit (not to say they don't also think they're 'right'--I assume they do, probably especially the younger ones who've grown up with the rest of the world despising them, which presumably cultivates a kind of sick solidarity).

Judge Orders Release of Prop 8 Video | NBC Bay Area
I think this is a good thing.

If people want to argue against people's rights to marry, they should not be able to hide.

Klansmen-of-America.jpg

Some people think they should have their beliefs imposed on other people without showing their faces.

Prop 8 Play On Broadway: Ellen Barkin Joins Star-Studded Cast

Prop 8 Play On Broadway: Ellen Barkin Joins Star-Studded Cast

NEW YORK -- Producers have revealed the glittering final cast list for a new Broadway play about the legal battle over same-sex marriage in California.

Ellen Barkin, Kate Shindle and Stephen Spinella have been added to "8," a play about Proposition 8 by Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black.

The play is based on the trial transcript and interviews from last year's court fight over California's gay marriage ban. It will be performed as a reading at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre for one night only – Monday.

I'm really happy for US District Judge Vaughn Walker. Imagine the nights he fell asleep dreaming he'd one day see one of his court decisions up in marquee lights on Broadway.

Still, sucks it's just a reading, really would have loved to have seen right-wing homophobia given the full Tommy Tune "song and dance" treatment.

WASHINGTON -- A town clerk in Ledyard, N.Y., is standing in the way of letting a same-sex couple tie the knot, even though the state legalized marriage equality in June.

Rose Marie Belforti, the town clerk for the small town of Ledyard, has publicly stated that she will not sign marriage licenses for same-sex couples and refused to do so for Katie Carmichael and Deirdre DiBiaggio on Aug. 30.

"Separate but equal is not equal," Carmichael told The Huffington Post. "We do not want to have to go in there on another day and be treated like a second-class citizen."

Shortly after New York legalized marriage equality, Carmichael and DiBiaggio began making plans to wed.

But Belforti, the publicly elected official responsible for issuing marriage licenses, refused to issue one herself and told the couple to make an appointment with a deputy town clerk. There's just one problem: There is no deputy town clerk.

Belforti has cited religious reasons that prevent her from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. She is now reportedly not offering marriage licenses to opposite-sex couples either, except by appointment.

The town's government is behind Belforti, saying it cannot force her to issue licenses. Carmichael warned that support could potentially make the town complicit in breaking the law.

New York state sent out new forms this summer that change wording on marriage licenses to gender-neutral terms -- for example, switching "Groom" or "Bride" to "Spouse." Belforti told an affiliate of the conservative group Focus on the Family that she thinks there's a hidden agenda behind the forms.

"We know what a bride is, we know what a groom is -- but if we choose to be a 'spouse,' does that even limit [marriage] to a human being?" Belforti asked.

Belforti cited a law that prevents discrimination against New York employees for their religious beliefs, but a memo from the New York state government doesn't allow for any exceptions to following the new marriage law.

According to the July memo sent by the state Department of Health, "Under New York State Law the town or city clerk must provide a license to an applicant who meets all marriage requirements for New York State. It is a misdemeanor violation if the clerk refuses to do so for any reason."

The memo also read, "No government treatment or legal status, effect, right, benefit, privilege protection or responsibility relating to marriage shall differ based on the parties to the marriage being of the same sex or a different sex."

The law does not require religious entities of any kind to perform marriages for same-sex couples.

People For the American Way Foundation, a progressive advocacy group, and Proskauer Rose, LLP, a global law firm, have stepped in and sent a letter demanding Belforti either resign or begin to issue licenses. New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms is offering free legal support for Belforti and the town.

"Public officials can't pick and choose the laws they want to follow," Michael Keegan, president of People For the American Way Foundation, said in a statement. "If a public official simply decides to shirk the obligations of her office, then she should resign and be replaced by someone who will do the job and carry out state law."

Carmichael repeated that sentiment about Belforti: Either resign or perform her office's duties.

"She took an oath of office to uphold the law," Carmichael said. "It's part of her job, she needs to do her job."

While Belforti so far refuses to resign, other New York clerks have stepped down in opposition to the new law.

Belforti has said she has gotten angry phone calls and emails, but claimed, "If [people] want to talk to me about the issue, I would love to do that."

But when The Huffington Post called the Ledyard Town Hall on three occasions to speak with Belforti and Town Supervisor Mark Jordan, the woman who answered abruptly hung up each time. Two emails were not returned.

"We're hoping that we will be vindicated, that we stood up for what is right for all people and certainly put our necks out for everyone, because no one should have to go through this," Carmichael said. "It's demeaning, degrading and bottom line, it's discrimination."

Carmichael said town residents have been very supportive, as have other town clerks they've spoken with. At this point, she and DiBiaggio are exploring what legal options remain and indicated they would not be giving in any time soon. The couple's ultimate goal is to walk into the same town clerk's office and have their marriage license issued where it was once denied.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article erroneously stated that New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms is offering free legal support to the couple. The group is offering legal support to Belforti and to the town of Ledyard.

WASHINGTON -- The NFL has removed a hurdle for professional football players who may be thinking of coming out as gay, banning discrimination based on "sexual orientation."

The new language was quietly put into the 2011 collective bargaining agreement, ratified by the players on Aug. 4, and first noticed by Pete Olsen at Wide Rights.

The contract reads: "Section 1. No Discrimination: There will be no discrimination in any form against any player by the Management Council, any Club or by the NFLPA [NFL Players Association] because of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or activity or lack of activity on behalf of the NFLPA."

"Sexual orientation" was not in the 2006 collective bargaining agreement, which read there would be no discrimination based on "race, religion, national origin or activity or lack of activity on behalf of the NFLPA."

"We certainly believe, speaking for the Players Association, that we have a tremendous social and cultural impact. We definitely understand the effect that we have on society and culture, and we feel we have a responsibility to have very high standards. With something like discrimination of any kind, we just want to make sure we are a symbol for good," said George Atallah, spokesman for the NFLPA.

It's not entirely clear who pushed for the inclusion of the language this time, but it's noteworthy that two of the nation's highest-profile lawyers pushing for marriage equality were at the negotiating table.

Ted Olson represented the players in the discussions, and David Boies represented NFL management. The two ideological opposites worked together to overturn California's ban on marriage equality. Interestingly, one of the other attorneys who represented the NFL was Paul Clement, who is representing House Republicans in the effort to uphold the Defense of Marriage Act.

"I think that they were a contributing factor -- maybe not to adding it, but to making it a non-issue," said Fred Sainz, vice president at the Human Rights Campaign, of Boies and Olson.

Neither Boies nor Olson returned requests for comment.

"It's never been lost on the NFL that they have to represent the national sentiment of the constituency of the American public," Sainz added, pointing out that in the last Human Rights Campaign poll, 79 percent of Americans support nondiscrimination policies for LGBT individuals in employment, housing and public accommodations.

There are no openly gay professional sports players in football, basketball, baseball or hockey. The Advocate noted that three former NFL players have come out since leaving the sport.

"I think that the conditions are being created -- certainly now by this anti-discrimination language, but also what the players are saying -- for a gay player to come out. More and more Americans are coming out in their lives and their industries, so it's going to hit sports. It has to," said Brian Ellner, a senior strategist with the Human Rights Campaign who led the group's campaign for marriage equality in New York.

The NFL has received some criticism for not producing any videos for the "It Gets Better" project, which is aimed at reassuring LGBT youth who may be getting bullied that their lives will improve when they get older. Seven professional baseball teams have recorded videos for the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom