Same-Sex Marriage General Discussion Thread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:00 AM
Washington state needs one more State Senator to support a bill allowing gay marriage in order for it to become law- Washington would be the 7th state in the Union to do it.

Luckily one of the undecideds represents my district, so I gave his office a call today to politely bug him. 5 undecided Senators, only 1 needed to nail it down. Here's hoping!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #152
Blue Crack Distributor

I was torn on Gregoire coming out in support of gay marriage. Yeah, that's all well and good, but she never bothered to do it when she was concerned about re-election.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 AM
Old 01-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I was torn on Gregoire coming out in support of gay marriage. Yeah, that's all well and good, but she never bothered to do it when she was concerned about re-election.
Agreed. Still, I would not be surprised to find out that this seeming sudden surge towards gay marriage legality after years on the back burner was the product of a meticulous roll out plan/years of background cajoling of Senators, and Gregoire's announcement was probably designed to be the first salvo.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Good going, mobvok . Here's hoping Washington goes forward with making this legal.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

OLYMPIA, Wash. — As lawmakers held their first public hearing on gay marriage, a Democratic senator on Monday announced her support for the measure, all but ensuring that Washington will become the seventh state to legalize same-sex marriage.

The announcement by Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen, D-Camano Island, that she would cast the 25th and deciding vote in favor of the issue came has hundreds of people filled the Capitol to advocate for and against gay marriage.

"I know this announcement makes me the so-called 25th vote, the vote that ensures passage," Haugen said in a statement. She said she took her time making up her mind to "to reconcile my religious beliefs with my beliefs as an American, as a legislator, and as a wife and mother who cannot deny to others the joys and benefits I enjoy. This is the right vote and it is the vote I will cast when this measure comes to the floor."

The state House is widely expected to have enough support to pass gay marriage, and Gov. Chris Gregoire publicly endorsed the proposal earlier this month. However opponents have already said they would challenge any new law with a public referendum.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

boom cha

Washington state will be one of the few states to pass this legislatively, and after the inevitable public referendum placed on the fall ballot, polling suggests the population will be the first to uphold marriage equality via vote as well. woooooooooooot wooo
Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #158
Blue Crack Distributor

Local News | Gay marriage in Washington: Legislature has the votes | Seattle Times Newspaper
Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Huzzah! Go, Washington state . Welcome to the "legalize gay marriage" club.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Oh man, I sure hope there is a Proposition 8, otherwise it will be activist legislation.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #162
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Oh man, I sure hope there is a Proposition 8, otherwise it will be activist legislation.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Haugen announces stance on marriage equality

OLYMPIA – Sen. Mary Margaret Haugen issued the following statement today following the Senate hearing on Senate Bill 6239 to allow same-sex marriage:

“For several weeks now, I have heard from the people of my district. They’ve shared what’s in their hearts and minds.

“I have received many letters, emails, phone calls, very heartfelt, from both sides of the issue. I’ve also received a number of very negative comments from both sides.

“For some people, this is a simple issue. I envy them. It has not been simple or easy for me.

“To some degree, this is generational. Years ago I took exception to my parents’ beliefs on certain social issues, and today my children take exception to some of mine. Times change, even if it makes us uncomfortable. I think we should all be uncomfortable sometime. None of us knows everything, and it’s important to have our beliefs questioned. Only one being in this world is omniscient, and it’s not me.

“I have very strong Christian beliefs, and personally I have always said when I accepted the Lord, I became more tolerant of others. I stopped judging people and try to live by the Golden Rule. This is part of my decision. I do not believe it is my role to judge others, regardless of my personal beliefs. It’s not always easy to do that. For me personally, I have always believed in traditional marriage between a man and a woman. That is what I believe, to this day.

“But this issue isn’t about just what I believe. It’s about respecting others, including people who may believe differently than I. It’s about whether everyone has the same opportunities for love and companionship and family and security that I have enjoyed.

“For as long as I have been alive, living in my country has been about having the freedom to live according to our own personal and religious beliefs, and having people respect that freedom.

“Not everyone will agree with my position. I understand and respect that. I also trust that people will remember that we need to respect each other’s beliefs. All of us enjoy the benefits of being Americans, but none of us holds a monopoly on what it means to be an American. Ours is truly a big tent, and while the tent may grow and shrink according to the political winds of the day, it should never shrink when it comes to our rights as individuals.

“Do I respect people who feel differently? Do I not feel they should have the right to do as they want? My beliefs dictate who I am and how I live, but I don’t see where my believing marriage is between a man and a woman gives me the right to decide that for everyone else.

“I’ve weighed many factors in arriving at this decision, and one of them was erased when the legislation heard today included an amendment to clearly provide for the rights of a church to choose not to marry a couple if that marriage contradicts the church’s view of its teachings. That’s important, and it helped shape my decision.

“My preference would be to put this issue on the ballot and give all Washingtonians the opportunity to wrestle with this issue, to search their hearts as I have, and to make the choice for themselves. But I do not know that there are the votes to put it to a ballot measure. So, forced to make a choice, my choice is to allow all men and women in our state to enjoy the same privileges that are so important in my life. I will vote in favor of marriage equality.

“I know this announcement makes me the so-called 25th vote, the vote that ensures passage. That’s neither here nor there. If I were the first or the seventh or the 28th vote, my position would not be any different. I happen to be the 25th because I insisted on taking this much time to hear from my constituents and to sort it out for myself, to reconcile my religious beliefs with my beliefs as an American, as a legislator, and as a wife and mother who cannot deny to others the joys and benefits I enjoy.

“This is the right vote and it is the vote I will cast when this measure comes to the floor.”
Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post

you can't make this up:

Quote:
Olympia, WA — The National Organization for Marriage (NOM) today pledged to work with allies in Washington State to mount a referendum campaign to ensure that voters have the final say on the definition of marriage in Washington. Legislation, House Bill 2516 and Senate Bill 6239, has been introduced to abandon Washington's historic definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman, thus imposing same-sex marriage on the state.

"NOM will not stand by and let activist politicians redefine marriage, the bedrock of civilization, without voters having a say," said Brian Brown, NOM's president. "Just as we mounted a People's Veto in Maine and were responsible for qualifying Proposition 8 to the ballot in California, we will make sure that voters in Washington have the ability to decide the definition of marriage for themselves."

NOM was the largest contributor to the Proposition 8 ballot qualification and led the Question 1 People's Veto campaign in Maine. Both measures passed, overturning gay marriage and preserving marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

"Thirty one states have voted on the definition of marriage and everyone voted to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman," Brown said. "Not only will we mount a successful referendum campaign, we will hold every Washington legislator accountable for his or her vote. We'll challenge Republicans in primaries, and we will take on Democrats in the General Election and make sure that their constituents know they tried to abandon the most important social institution ever devised without voters being given a say in the matter."

NOM Blog
Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure all the conservatives here will support activist politicians since their whole MO is that this should be done legislatively.