Sally Field's Emmy Speech Censored By Fox - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Sally Field's Emmy Speech Censored By Fox

Of course they did censor other things, but according to this guy what she said wasn't technically profane in light of the Bono ruling.

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_...mys-reall.html

Producers of Sunday's Emmy telecast bleeped best drama actress winner Sally Field in the midst of a controversial acceptance speech attacking U.S. involvement in Iraq.

"If mothers ruled the world, there wouldn't be any god -" she said when the sound went dead and the camera suddenly turned away from the stage so viewers would be distracted. Chopped off were the words "god-damned wars in the first place." (The phrase was not censored in the Canadian telecast.)

This belongs to all the mothers of the world - may they be seen and valued," she added when she won best actress in a drama series for her work as matriarch Nora Walker on "Brothers & Sisters." While the two-time Oscar winner already has two Emmys, this was her first nomination for series work, and she bested a field that included favorite Edie Falco of "The Sopranos."

Backstage, in the press room later, Field told reporters, "I would have liked to have said more four-letter words up there!

"Oh, well. I've been there before!" Field added when asked what she thought of the gagging. "Good. I don't care. I have no comment other than, 'Oh, well.' I said what I wanted to say. I wanted to pay homage to the mothers of the world. And I very, very seriously think that if mothers ruled the world we wouldn't be sending our children off to be slaughtered."

When she was pressed for further comment, she added, "Too bad. That's a shame. And I think I probably shouldn't have said the 'god' in front of the 'damn.'

"If they bleep it, oh, well. I'll just say it somewhere else."

Technically, Field's censored words are not profane. A 2004 FCC ruling specifically stated no objection to the use of "god damn" on TV when making a judgment on the uproar over Bono swearing at the Golden Globes in 2003 where he used more colorful language.

Field has a history of making controversial acceptance speeches.

Upon winning the Academy Award as best actress of 1984 for "Places in the Heart" five years after winning for " Norma Rae, " she delivered one of the most memorable thank-yous in Oscar history: "This means so much more to me this time, I don't know why. I think the first time I hardly felt it because it was all too new. But I want to say 'thank you' to you. I haven't had an orthodox career. And I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it. But this time I feel it. And I can't deny the fact that you like me . . . right now . . . you like me. Thank you."

At Sunday's Emmycast, Fox also bleeped "Grey's Anatomy" star Katherine Heigl when its camera zoomed in on the surprised winner who gasped "Shit!" upon hearing her name called.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah I wondered what everyone was talking about this morning in the various articles since we definitely got the full broadcast in Canada.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:22 PM
I hate
Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:22 AM
... wow, that is enough to get censored? I was honestly amused when an American once tried to tell me that "damn" counts as profanity.

This is why I love Aussie TV: you can say whatever the fuck you like after 9pm, and I've seen and heard "shit" in a 6:30pm national news headline ("Shit happens", says MP [in response to a controversy]).

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:22 PM
You know it's funny about censorship...when I was younger and many more words were "bleeped", if somebody said "God damn(it)" on TV they'd bleeped "damn" and left "God". Now I often see movied edited for TV and they'll bleep "God" and leave "damn" in. Interesting.

Wasn't there a issue regarding FOX and bleeping not too long ago? Where the person hadn't cussed at all but said something anit-war or anti-Bush...I can't remember but I seem to recall something like that.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

are you effing kidding me? how many times on FOX shows do characters get away with saying goddamnit? i don't think this was a censorship of foul language as much as it was a censorship of protest.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:22 AM
Damn is okay, goddamn is not. That's not a new thing.

But that was a really annoying way they did the tape delay. Going to a long-shot of the hall? Whatever.

Everyone's so jumpy on the bleep trigger these days in America. Oh no, can't have a swear sneak through! Can't have some angry busybody in Idaho complaining to Fox!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
She's the One

But Fox is fair and balanced. Why are you guys jumping all over them?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think the decline of high standards and the corruption of the English language is depressing. If you've ever been on a college campus, you've surely heard people who can't say a simple sentence without inserting the F-word to sound tough or cool. Sometimes I wonder to myself if those people think "I better swear somewhere in this sentence, because if I don't, people around me will think I'm a loser." I've come to the conclusion that if you have a pottymouth and can't say a single sentence without swearing, I think less of you as a person, and I'm not apologizing for it. It demonstrates wonderfully your ignorance, vulgarity, lack of vocabulary, and overall a lack of intelligence.

But not to get off-topic...
Old 09-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
Refugee

It really really bothered me that they censored her. Not just for the God damn comment but because of the context it was in, making a comment about war.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

I actually agree with that. I swear more than I used to, and I think it can be used for comic effect or emphasis, but people who can't seem to say anything without swearing? I have no use for them.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

you know...yeah i understand where you're coming from with the frustration of people using them all the time. but to be honest, i'm more annoyed with people who use "like" x423409230423 in conversation. sometimes i've heard people say it more than once in the same sentence.

i'm sooner able to find a group of college students who don't swear than i am to find some who don't use "like" every few seconds.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:22 PM
While I'll toss in the odd F-bomb for effect I agree it's annoying to hear somebody speak and it's about every other word.

Remember when FOX started, they were supposed to be the new, hip, current, edgy network? They showed the Simpsons and Bundys and just stuff that the established networks wouldn't have touched...how the F did they become this bastion of neo-conservatism?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

I wonder if they were a little trigger-happy with the bleep button because everyone assumed they'd be full of curse words on boobies ... because they're, you know, Fox?

Maybe they were trying to prove they could be a "grown-up" network, too?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:22 PM
I didn't watch the show, but I think it's stupid to censor anything. I thought it was stupid when they raised that stink about Bono, and it's stupid now. Who cares? Stupid, stupid, stupid.