Sally Field's Emmy Speech Censored By Fox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He said "... fuckin' brilliant" in his excitement over winning the Golden Globe for Best Song.

I think Kathy Griffin's remarks were not intended to offend Christianity or Christians (though some Christians will find a reason to be offended over practically anything) but were largely a counterblast to the incredibly tiresome tendency of US entertainers of to thank God/Jesus in their award winners' speeches.

I remember when the MTV awards were on in Dublin in '99, EVERY SINGLE ONE of the US award winners made a point of thanking Jesus in their speech. Unbelievable.

financeguy said:
I think Kathy Griffin's remarks were not intended to offend Christianity or Christians (though some Christians will find a reason to be offended over practically anything) but were largely a counterblast to the incredibly tiresome tendency of US entertainers of to thank God/Jesus in their award winners' speeches.

I remember when the MTV awards were on in Dublin in '99, EVERY SINGLE ONE of the US award winners made a point of thanking Jesus in their speech. Unbelievable.

[q]God Finally Gives Shout-Out Back To All His Niggaz
September 5, 2001 | Issue 37•31

SOUTH BRONX, NY—The Lord Almighty finally responded to nearly two decades of praise in hip-hop album liner notes Monday, when He gave a shout-out back to all His loyal niggaz.

"Right about now, I want to send a shout-out to each and every nigga who's shown Me love through the years," said the Lord, His booming voice descending from Heaven. "I got mad love for each and every one of you niggaz. Y'all real niggaz out there, you know who you are. Y'all was there for me, and it's about time I'm-a give some love back to God's true crew."

"All y'all niggaz, y'all be My niggaz," the Lord added.

As of press time, God has thanked nearly 7,000 of His niggaz, including those in New York's Bad Boy and Ruff Ryders posses, the No Limit soldiers and Cash Money Millionaires holdin' it down in New Orleans, Nelly and the whole St. Lunatics crew, Busta and the rest of the Flipmode Squad, His peeps from back in the day, and all the real ruffneck niggaz in lockdown. He also sent shout-outs to everybody in the Old School, as well as to Lil' Bow Wow and all the other new niggaz just coming up.

"Mad props to P. Diddy, Jay-Z, DMX, Lil' Kim, Mystikal, Eve, Ja Rule, Jadakiss, Trick Daddy, and Xzibit. And one love to Meth, RZA, GZA, Ghostface, and the rest of My real niggaz in the Wu-Tang Clan," the deity said. "These My beloved niggaz, with whom I be well-pleased."

Now nearing the 48-hour mark, the Lord's first-ever reciprocal shout-out shows little sign of slowing down. Based on estimates of the number of rappers who have thanked Him in liner notes over the past 20 years, hip-hop experts say the historic shout-out is likely to continue through early next week.

Enlarge Image
A pair of shout-out tablets handed down by the Lord.

In addition to rap's current stars, God offered shout-outs to the original hip-hop heads, including such pioneers of the art form as Grandmaster Flash, Busy Bee, Melle Mel, Jazzy Jay, Kool Moe Dee, Afrika Bambaataa, DJ Red Alert, the Cold Crush Brothers, Fab 5 Freddy, Kurtis Blow, Kool Herc, and the Funky 4+1.

God also offered shout-outs to the many DJs, record labels, magazines, TV shows, and radio stations that have tirelessly supported hip-hop over the years. Among them are Def Jam, Tommy Boy, Jive, Roc-A-Fella, Rap Pages, The Source, Right On!, The Box, Funkmaster Flex, Ed Lover and Dr. Dre, WBLS 107.5, KISS-FM, and Hot 97.

"For supporting the many artists who have supported Me so faithfully, I say thank you," God said. "All praise to Devante Harrell, Wanda Simmons, LaShell Thomas, and everybody else at Uptown/MCA for making this possible."

As a further sign of His love for the hip-hop community, God assured the nation's rappers that He is taking good care of all their peers currently with Him in heaven.

"Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., Eazy-E, Scott LaRock—some of y'all niggaz are already up in this bitch," the Lord said. "For those of you who were left behind, know that the Lord has got your dead homies' backs. Faith [Evans], I promise I'm taking real good care of your Biggie. He resting in crazy peace, no doubt."

Thus far, God has not played favorites, thanking such fallen-off acts as Hammer and Vanilla Ice in the same breath as vital artists whose careers are still going strong. The Lord has also seen fit to thank the little-known likes of Baby Tragic, DJ Phreek Malik, and Da Ill Collector—MCs so obscure that virtually no one within the hip-hop community has heard of them. All rappers, God explained, are equal in His sight, and none are too small to escape His notice.

"God sees even the smallest sparrow fall," said Dr. Cornel West, Harvard University professor of African-American studies and philosophy of religion. "The same is true of MCs: Whether a major superstar or a complete unknown, all rappers are His children, and He loves them all."

The sheer volume of names notwithstanding, the nation's rappers are deeply touched by God's gesture of tribute and appreciation, with many stating that they "feelin' Him."

"God is the Original," Brooklyn-based rapper Mos Def said. "The world is ruled by the wealthy and the wicked, but all respect due to the Creator who made this world and who will one day bring justice to the wicked and righteous alike."

Despite the overwhelmingly positive response among rappers, the Lord is drawing fire in certain circles for His use of the word "nigga." On Monday's Larry King Live, conservative activist Rev. Calvin Butts, a longtime ally of the Lord, blasted Him for His "shocking, unexpected use of the racially loaded N-word." Some concerned parties, including decency crusader C. Delores Tucker, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), and members of the San Francisco-based What About The Children? Foundation, are calling for a boycott of church services until God issues an apology.

Reacting to the controversy, many in the hip-hop community are rushing to the Lord's defense.

"The word 'nigga' means different things depending on how it's used and who's saying it," rap legend and Public Enemy frontman Chuck D said. "Judging from context, God obviously wasn't being derogatory. He was using 'nigga' as a blanket term of affection for all His true supporters on the rap scene. At one point, He said, 'I wanna give a shout-out to Ad-Rock, MC Serch, and my man Dan The Automator—all y'all is real niggaz in My all-benevolent sight.' Considering the fact that Ad-Rock and Serch are Jewish, and the Automator is Asian-American, it's clear God isn't talking about race here. He's just paying respect to all those who have paid respect to Him."

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters," rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that if you mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."[/q]

Irvine you forgot the pic!!! It's the best part :heart:

God-Gives-Shout-Out-Jump-C.jpg

From here:

I usually report the worst of the network suits. But I'm not adding my liberal voice to the growing chorus of conspiracy theorists who believe that Fox "censored" Sally Field's Emmy antiwar statements because of its political content.

The network bleeped curse words three times during acceptance speeches last night: when Field used "goddamn" and when Katherine Heigl mouthed, "Oh shit", and when Ray Romano joked about his former Everybody Loves Raymond TV wife Patricia Heaton "screwing" Kelsey Grammar on their new show, Back to You.

According to Fox: "Some language during the live broadcast may have been considered inappropriate by some viewers. As a result, Fox's broadcast standards executives determined it appropriate to drop sound during those portions of the show." A network rep insisted to reporters that Fox did not censor Field's comments for their political content, noting she did talk about the war before she was cut off. I actually think he's right. To its credit, Fox stayed on Field during almost all of her anti-war statements -- when she was somewhat calm during the first part of her speech, then even after the applause when she looked out of control. The network tuned her out only after she said "goddamn" when she was a few words from finishing. This wasn't even a close call.

Well I see that, but FOX's standards don't even comport with the Bono ruling-so their censoring in this case is subject to doubt and question. I do have to wonder what would have happened if she said the same thing without the swear word. It's FOX so people are going to wonder. I didn't think the word shit was subject to censoring either. I have heard worse on soap operas, I believe they even get away with son of a bitch.

I know that the 9/11 documentary eventually was not censored, but the fact that it was even considered points to the complete paranoia and stupidity that the FCC's conservative clampdown has created.

And for people who don't watch Sally Field's show Brothers and Sisters, she plays a mother whose son has been to Iraq once and is being sent back again. So it's not as if her comments were out of left field and out of context.

^ Yep. Whether or not you agree with bleeping "goddamn", all networks do it. I don't think FOX was bleeping Sally Field for content...everybody got the extended cutaway.

And the Kathy Griffin thing was fantastic...I laughed my "BLEEP" off :)

They can show heads getting blown apart but they sensor "damn" and things like boobies. Ridiculous. Thank god I'm in Canada.

Like Australia, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council says you can say "fuck" and its derivatives on tv after 9pm. Nudity can be shown during the day as long as it's not sexual. After 9pm....take em off and get bonking!

I didn't even know the Emmy's were on until the day after this happened. So maybe all this press is a victory for all parties involved?

Last edited:
I think it's a tad hypocritical to censor what Sally Field said when apparently it's OK for Brad Garrett to make a bunch of jokes about the female presenters' breasts or for Ryan Seacrest and Neil Patrick Harris to make pervy remarks about the barely-legal actress from Heroes.

Lila64 said:
Especially with them both being gay (Harris, openly admitted that is). Not that there's anything wrong with that :wink:

Maybe they thought it would be less offensive that way than if a
couple of straight male celebrities made the same jokes? I think that's a stupid argument, but after all, it is Hollywood we're talking about.

Slipstream said:
They can show heads getting blown apart but they sensor "damn" and things like boobies. Ridiculous.

One night at 8 PM I wanted to watch a Charlie Brown special. I tuned in to CBS because they always used to be on CBS. Instead there was a young woman in skimpy black underwear having computer sex with a webcam. She was murdered before I could turn the channel, which I was trying to do as fast as I could. This was on at 8 PM.

But goddamn is a bad thing on tv. :rolleyes:

Thank God I don't watch TV.

The time on that clip looks like 11 something PT, so apparently you can say goddamn when it's that late. That would be the only explanation for the discrepancy if it was censored just for that word.

http://foxattacks.com/blog/13249-fox-attacks-goddamn-sally-field

FOX censored Sally Field's anti-war comments during her acceptance speech at the Emmys.

Some people want to claim it's because she said "god damn", but clearly FOX has no qualms airing "god damn" cause on a recent FOX News program they aired it 5 times in the span of a couple of minutes.

Oh, and the FCC ruled that "goddamn" is perfectly acceptable on broadcast television.

FOX just didn't want you to hear what Sally said, and the majority of Americans already know, that "if mothers ruled the world there'd be no goddamn wars in the first place."

A big thanks to ChrisBG at the Newshounds for remembering this "god damn" segment on FOX News and then actually finding it!

Well that surprises me. I've had the impression that "goddamn" has been on the bleep list on most networks for awhile, but apparently it's OK on FOX (sometimes, anyway). I'm still not sure I see censorship here, and I'm no fan of FOX...I mean, what Sally Field said is pretty inocuous as far as anti-war speech goes.

Me too. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but ... I think I'm willing to give Fox the benefit of the doubt on this one. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom