Sally Field's Emmy Speech Censored By Fox - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
I think the decline of high standards and the corruption of the English language is depressing. If you've ever been on a college campus, you've surely heard people who can't say a simple sentence without inserting the F-word to sound tough or cool. Sometimes I wonder to myself if those people think "I better swear somewhere in this sentence, because if I don't, people around me will think I'm a loser." I've come to the conclusion that if you have a pottymouth and can't say a single sentence without swearing, I think less of you as a person, and I'm not apologizing for it. It demonstrates wonderfully your ignorance, vulgarity, lack of vocabulary, and overall a lack of intelligence.

Some things are so morally significant that they merit the use of swear words. Like mothers losing children in wars, for one example. What's more profane-the words she used or the loss of that life? That's hardly the same as swearing just for the sake of swearing.

I always think of the 9/11 tv documentary being censored (for language that onlookers and fire and police people used) and how completely insane that was. If that isn't a perfect example of our f ed up standards then I don't know what is.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Both times CBS aired the 9/11 documentary shot by the French documentarian and his brother, they did not censor it. All the expletives were left intact, and I was really pleasantly surprised with CBS for not tampering with it.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Both times CBS aired the 9/11 documentary shot by the French documentarian and his brother, they did not censor it. All the expletives were left intact, and I was really pleasantly surprised with CBS for not tampering with it.
Yes, I remember watching that, and I agree that the language should not have been censored out. That is a rare exception though. Award-show rants and things like that are completely different.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:50 PM
But this has nothing to do with the language, this has to do with content. They censored the content, not the language.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Yes, I agree she should not have been censored. Bleep out the "goddamn" and leave the stinkin' rest.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

There's no way that had to do with the God damn portion. No way. As someone said, they have tons of programming with foul language, there's no way that it had anything to do with it. It was the war comments.

Fair and balanced...
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

They may have other shows with foul language, but do you ever hear "goddamn" on network TV? It's always bleeped. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know that network TV allows more profanity now than they ever did. Nothing's changed there. I don't even think characters can say "asshole" yet. All other forms of "ass," but "asshole" is apparently more offensive. Weird.)

They could have bleeped out the one word and left the rest, but honestly, based on the way they did their editing, it seemed like everyone who got "bleeped" had more cut away than just the offensive word.

Maybe it wasn't really intentional to bleep out her whole comment, but their whole delay setup went longer than other delay/bleeps used in other shows/networks.

It was annoying, but I'm willing to give Fox the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Maybe it wasn't really intentional to bleep out her whole comment, but their whole delay setup went longer than other delay/bleeps used in other shows/networks.

What do you mean? If the delay was longer than others, that means they actually had more time to do correct edits.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Fox's delay system was weird - instead of just silencing the speaker or inserting a "bleep," there was a visual cutaway to an overhead of the audience, accompanied by silence.

Every cutaway I saw (Ray Romano, Katherine Heigl) had that - it just seemed excessive for everyone, so instead of a one-second bleep or one second of silence, you had this longer silence and a visual cutaway that made it seem like a technical error.

I don't think Sally Field had a longer gap of silence than the others. I'm just saying that because of that system they had in place, her whole sentence got cut off instead of just the "goddamn."
Old 09-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Gotcha... I didn't watch it, so I can't really comment on that.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

“A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus,” an exultant Griffin said, holding up her statuette. “Suck it, Jesus. This award is my god now.”

Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Yes, I agree she should not have been censored. Bleep out the "goddamn" and leave the stinkin' rest.

And the censoring of the word "shit". Big f**king deal. We do it every day, don't we? It's okay to say "crap" on the air but not "shit". What's the "goddamn f**king* difference

Plenty of cleavage apparently is no problem though. Or bad jokes by Brad Garrett and suddenly being thirsty for milk
Old 09-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

I often find Kathy Griffin too annoying for words, but that's hilarious.

I'm okay with not allowing cursing on network TV. Call me old-fashioned in that respect, but there's just no need for it. I understand it's going to slip out in live events and whatnot and it's not worth getting my panties in a wad over, but I like that for the most part, network TV still doesn't allow the cursing on its TV shows.

But yeah, on the other hand, the double-standard between cursing vs. sex and violence that's on the air is pretty ridiculous. I'd rather they lay off the overt sex and violence than pump up the swearing to even it out, though.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Not to mention the commercials shown at various hours of the day for shows that have "adult content" or double entendres, etc. Or commercials for "E.D."
Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 PM
The majority of shows I watch are HBO and FX; it delivers the quota of sex, violence and swearing that I demand.