Saint? Patrick's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
Last year, I had to observe a classroom, see how a teacher does their profession, etc. I'm all for teachers using creative ways to teach math, but, it was near St. Patricks Day, and for a lesson, the teacher brought in a box of Lucky Charms, had them do activities with the box, then organize and sort the cereal pieces, do ratios. Couldn't have saved this for a nice little geography lesson maybe.

Anyway, did the children learn why/who/where/what St. Patrick's Day is about? Nope, obviously there's separation of church and state in America, couldn't really tell too much of who he was. So is that all the average American student would know, if you don't wear green on March 17th, you get pinched? Has something to do with Ireland. And some sort of religious thing, cos it's St. {Saint} Oh, and leprechaun cereal? Sure Irish-Americans would know, schools that teach about religion (i.e. Catholic schools) might know, but I don't know, p.c. gone out of hand?

I had a casual interest in Ireland, long before I was a U2 fan, I think there's is a fascinating culture. (Being a history nerd didn't hurt either). Just in case someone thinks I only feel this way because of U2.

It's cool to have fun and all, but I've heard there is some seriousness to the holiday over in Ireland (naturally). Perhaps I'm just overreacting. I just think any holiday, certainly one that is in nature, foreign, should be treated with just a little more respect.

i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most people don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day as a Saint's Day, it has become a competely different holiday altogether. Isn't Valentine's Day supposed to be a day for St. Valentine?

ILuvLarryMullen said:
i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most people don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day as a Saint's Day, it has become a competely different holiday altogether. Isn't Valentine's Day supposed to be a day for St. Valentine?

Exactly.

St. Patrick's Day is a saint's feast day in the Catholic Church, yes. St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. The Irish are using it as an opportunity to promote awareness of Irish culture, which is fair game. I'd object if they were commercializing it. It doesn't look that way to me. I'd also object if they were using to teach Catholicism in a public school. Again, it doesn't really look that way.

verte76 said:
St. Patrick's Day is a saint's feast day in the Catholic Church, yes. St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. The Irish are using it as an opportunity to promote awareness of Irish culture, which is fair game. I'd object if they were commercializing it. It doesn't look that way to me. I'd also object if they were using to teach Catholicism in a public school. Again, it doesn't really look that way.

Promoting awareness of Irish culture is fine, in fact, great way to segue into a short discussion, by having some sort of St. Patrick's day activity, but I dunno, using Lucky Charms....it's okay, Cinco De Mayo fiestas, aren't much different, average American doesn't know what its about, but hey, any excuse to party.

ILuvLarryMullen said:

:yes: I guess I don't celebrate the traditional St. Patrick's Day b/c I'm not Catholic, or any religion that has "saints" so for me, celebrating St. Pat's is like how non-Christians celebrate Easter with the bunny and the baskets and the eggs and such.

same here livluv, I use it as a day to celebrate my irish heritage.

haha, i like the idea of baileys over lucky charms :lmao:, not sure how good that would taste, but what a way to start off the day :lol:

I'm sure they never got anywhere past the secular meaning of the holiday, because of fear of being religious.

As an individual, I find myself disappointed that any mention of anything remotely religious is poison. After all, I do believe that there is a massive difference between being educated about a religious custom versus proselytizing.

However, the realist in me knows that that line, if ever breached, would be abused. There are plenty of religious fanatics of all colors waiting to prey on children to "save" them. So, while I'm disappointed in the reality, I know perfectly why it is there.

Melon

Don't worry. When appropriate, religion is perfectly fine in my classroom. You can't study missions in California without talking about Catholicism, and ancient Israel, India, and China are sixth grade standards. Religion is a key part of that study.

Me, I'd prefer whiskey on my Lucky Charms, please.

zoney! said:
Lucky Charms are about Irish as French Fries are French! :up:

They ought to do what my German teacher did for Oktoberfest; have a class party with traditional foods from the local ethnic restaurant! I'm sure that would go over quite well with the kids, who no doubt would prefer corned beef and cabbage or Irish stew to whatever inedible mess the school cafeteria is serving! :D

They used to sell Lucky Charms here Fizz, they weren't nice though.

People go to mass here on St. Patricks day and wear their suits and "Sunday best"... they do go out for drinks in the evening but everyday is an excuse to go to the pub for a lot of people here :slant:
I hate St. Patricks day it was the day my Granny died, I don't see the point in celebrating much.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Is it just me or is anyone else thirsty for a Guinness?

Drink one for me! I'll be volunteering at a local hospital on St. Patty's day. And to reply to an earlier post, (I forgot who wrote it and I too tired to look it up cause I was volunteering at my church until late tonight). But yes, I think Irish Americans and other Americans as well, know who St. Patrick was. We have several excellent shows that broadcast on the PBS. and the History channel stations each year, which educate us.

By the way, Brian whom sings and plays piano at my church, does a beautiful rendition of "Lady of the Loch."

Sl'an go f'oill.

Sorry bout the seperations, of the first and third words. My keyboard does not do accent marks.

Lara Mullen, I'm sorry to hear about your Granny and all of my best to you!

Dia duit

Inis

:hug:LM:hug:

I'm not doing anything tonight, apart from reading for class tomorrow. I forget it's St. Patrick's Day since the stores here don't have displays for it like they do in the US.

Back
Top Bottom