Saddam's Sons Very Likely Killed in battle today! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2003, 05:26 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
None the less, I do not expect this to quiet the Bush bashers and Anti-American groups opposed to the war and the good work that Coalition troops are doing in Iraq.
not a chance. getting them means nothing to me.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Just like to state for the record is that it was Saddam's sons that fired first, not the US soldiers. The US soldiers approached the house, and then were fired on by those in the house. 4 US soldiers were wounded. If the USA wanted to simply kill them, it would have been easy enough to simply block off the escape routes and allow an strike aircraft to destroy the house with a bomb. Instead, the coalition spent 6 hours confronting them, 6 hours in which Saddam's sons could have surrendered.

This did not violate the US ban on assasination in any way. Saddams sons were not the leaders of Iraq and both had an opportunity to surrender.

Old 07-23-2003, 06:08 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I think Saddam's sons would never allow themselves to be captured alive. They would have killed themselves first.
I heard on the news that people think now that the sons of Saddam are freedom fighters now,...new heroes are born. Sadly enough,...
Old 07-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Just like to state for the record is that it was Saddam's sons that fired first, not the US soldiers. The US soldiers approached the house, and then were fired on by those in the house. 4 US soldiers were wounded. If the USA wanted to simply kill them, it would have been easy enough to simply block off the escape routes and allow an strike aircraft to destroy the house with a bomb. Instead, the coalition spent 6 hours confronting them, 6 hours in which Saddam's sons could have surrendered.

This did not violate the US ban on assasination in any way. Saddams sons were not the leaders of Iraq and both had an opportunity to surrender.
But Sting2, this assumes the US government is telling the truth about what happened. And we all know they never ever tell the truth!
Old 07-23-2003, 09:04 PM   #50
New Yorker

Quote:

I'm always amazed at how you know the exact details of these events, much like what happened at the Palestinian hotel. Do you have camera's set up all over Iraq or what ?

You are simply repeating the official line of the US military. Now while that is a fine source it isn't ever 100% accurate. For one thing each individual sees a scene from a slight different perspective, as proven in accident reporting from witnesses at different vantage points.

I'm not disputing their accuracy, only your reporting them as 100% truth and fact. It may take several days to debrief all those involved and who knows somebody may have gotten antsy.

"But Sting2, this assumes the US government is telling the truth about what happened. And we all know they never ever tell the truth!'

Even I don't believe that 80's, I'm just a wait and see kind of person.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:18 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Scarletwine,

Well, the only people who know for sure what precisely happened were the people involved in the event. You have perhaps a hundred or so US soldiers involved directly or indirectly in the operation. The owner of the house who was the one that actually informed the soldiers was also there as well. Then, you have the four people inside, SADDAM's two sons and a grandson, plus one unidentified individual. All four members in the house were killed. Latest reports are now that Saddam's sons actually shot themselves.

In any event, the only people that know what happened and are still alive are the US soldiers that were involved in the event, and the owner of the house who was nearby, but not directly involved in the fighting.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:34 PM   #52
New Yorker

That's was exactly my point. You jumped in saying they fired first. Well probably so, it's just your dogged unswerving defense of the gov't and the military.
I could even understand your support of the military being a veteran, but all gov't make errors at one time or another. They are not omniprescent (?) nor are commanders. Only God.
I guess I don't understand your motivation, but I'd like to understand it more.

ps regardless of my criticism I don't want any US soldiers to die, I just don't find lives not US citizens worth any less.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:18 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine

Even I don't believe that 80's, I'm just a wait and see kind of person.
No, I know that about you.

But thare are some who do believe that.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:58 AM   #54
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
oliveu2cm:

nbcrusader/sting:

i wasn't acusing the soldiers who did the operation that they did ANYTHING wrong - it was just US-General Ricardo Sanchez'
"Find, kill or capture" which made me nervous about wrong priorities.
If you mention kill before capture capture isn't no.1 priority. And i simply prefer justice in the ICC over justice with the barrel of a gun - that's all

Maybe Mr. Sanchez just told it the press this way to make the mission a 100% success? i don't know... but like mentioned in the verry first posting of this thread:
Quote:
but if the cenario is the way we could read about it the US forces had no big choices
Old 07-24-2003, 04:43 AM   #55
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Quote:
Lt. Gen. Ricardo S. Sanchez:

"The option to surround the house and wait out the individuals in the house was considered and rejected,"
"The commanders on the ground made the decision to go ahead and execute and accomplish their mission of finding, fixing, killing or capturing."

"That was the right decision."
If you think of the order "fixing, killing or capturing" it was definetly the right decision by the groundtroops.
The only question is if his order was the right one.

Capturing these 2 guys and put them on a public trial (the ICC would have bin perfect for that) would have bin for sure much more difficult (and i don't even know if the US army had the capability to do that) but at least in Germany after WW II these trials were helpful for the public to understand what was wrong and to clearly see who is evil and who supports laws and justice. You could also see by the legends "Hitler still lives he's in XY (mostly south america) that the trials where the dictators crew tried to defend themselfes was verry helpful to accept that this period is over.

Quote:
Deputy Defense Secretary Paul D. Wolfowitz:
"The key to success in an operation like that is speed and secrecy,"
Gimme a second - this was speedy?

Quote:
President Bush
"Now, with the regime of Saddam Hussein gone forever, a few remaining holdouts are trying to prevent the advance of order and freedom,"
Oh, you forget to tell the public that Saddam Hussein was no. 3 of the 4 who were killed?

So again, efficient military - but less efficient guys on the top

Klaus

p.s. is it true that the 14 year old grandson is no.3 of the 4 killed people in attacked Mosul building
Old 07-24-2003, 05:29 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
p.s. is it true that the 14 year old grandson is no.3 of the 4 killed people in attacked Mosul building
Yes, this appears to be true. One of the two (Uday or Qusay) always travelled with his 14-year old son. However, it isn't clear yet whether the two (and maybe also the son) were killed by the US troops or committed suicide, IIRC.

C ya!

Marty (who hopes that Saddam is near that villa so he can maybe be found quickly)
Old 07-24-2003, 10:39 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Sting--I want to make one thing clear. My criticisms of any acts in this entire conflict have *never* been directed at the troops. I have the utmost respect for our fine men and women in uniform. They are just doing their jobs. I got as many goosebumps as any other American reading about Jessica Lynch's homecoming. Good for her. My criticisms are directed at the big shots in Washington who did the planning and are making the decisions. Yes, I have criticized Donald Rumsfeld's judgment. I'll be damned if I'm the only one who's criticized Rumsfeld. It's not the same thing as picking on the troops or whatever. Hell, the U.S. government is made up of human beings. It's inevitable that they are going to screw up. All Administrations screw up. Would I criticize Democrats if they were doing the same things? Yes. You bet.
Just wanted to clear up any possible confusion on this.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
they have released the pics of the bodies of Uday and Qusay

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3088011.stm
Old 07-24-2003, 02:01 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Verte76,

I understand where you coming from on this.

Klaus,

I would have prefered capture to their deaths, because it would be easier to prove they were no longer a threat I think. Unfortunately this was not possible. The sons had every opportunity to surrender. US soldiers started recieving fire from a nearby building from Baath Party members. If the US wanted to just kill them it would have been over in minutes with an air strike. Instead they confronted them for 6 hours.

"Gimme a second - this was speedy?"

It took less than 24 hours from the time the US military was notified of where they were to confront them and end the stand off. It could have happened even faster, but we wanted to capture them, unfortunately that was not possible.

"So again, efficient military - but less efficient guys on the top"

The guys at the top are certainly more efficient than French, German, and Russian leaders. Saddam and his sons would still be in power in Iraq right now if we had followed their plans.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #60
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
they have released the pics of the bodies of Uday and Qusay

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3088011.stm
Is it just me or does this bother anyone else? I know this is probably something this culture is a little more use to than the U.S. but did we have to stoop to this level?