Saddam's Sons Very Likely Killed in battle today! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2003, 06:52 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

If they were captured alive, this whole mess would end up in litigation - the great American tradition.
A lawsuit thing?? I'm confused. You mean they'd get sued?

Old 07-22-2003, 07:54 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:50 AM
No, they would sue the US government for trespass, infliction of emotional distress, pain and suffering, etc.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:14 PM   #33
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 04:50 PM
nbcrusader: *lol*
Besides the fact that from my christian values i prefer that even enemies are living. I guess it would have bin helpful if the US army could ask them some questions (for example about the WMDs) but if the cenario is the way we could read about it the US forces had no big choices.

Klaus
Old 07-22-2003, 08:16 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting, is that what Milosovic did?
Old 07-22-2003, 08:32 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Egads, did Milosevic sue? When? Geez, what an evil . I guess dictators will be dictators.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:38 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

I was just watching the news (no, it wasn't Fox ) There was a report about Uday (sp???) having the Iraqi soccer team tortured after they lost in the Olympics. I'd read stuff about them like that. Horrors. It's tough for me to consider people like them human.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:46 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I was just watching the news (no, it wasn't Fox ) There was a report about Uday (sp???) having the Iraqi soccer team tortured after they lost in the Olympics. I'd read stuff about them like that. Horrors. It's tough for me to consider people like them human.
See

http://espn.go.com/gen/news/2003/0722/1584175.html
Old 07-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
nbcrusader: *lol*
Besides the fact that from my christian values i prefer that even enemies are living. I guess it would have bin helpful if the US army could ask them some questions (for example about the WMDs) but if the cenario is the way we could read about it the US forces had no big choices.

Klaus
Yeah this woulda been great.

Some interesting thoughts Here

Quote:
<snip>
Saddam's sons would have been worth a lot more to us alive in captivity than they are dead.

Turning Saddam's sons over to the Hague tribunal for prosecution would have gotten the UN and the Europeans back on board, and gotten us some relief on reconstruction and on troops.

Turning them over to the Hague would have been better for the Iraqi people, too, who probably are not going to be persuaded that Saddam's sons are really dead by any dental records or DNA analysis CENTCOM can produce. Prosecuting them live on TV for weeks on end—that would have been persuasive...... <snip>
Old 07-23-2003, 11:55 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think Saddam's sons would never allow themselves to be captured alive. They would have killed themselves first.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:41 PM   #40
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Shit happens eh?

I heard our PM talking about this on the radio today and he was saying something like how this was a great psychological victory etc etc. I just thought good onya Johnny, you tool. I hope other more listened to and significant leaders aren't spewing the same shit too loudly. I don't disagree with it at all, but way to piss these people off even more!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 PM   #41
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I think Saddam's sons would never allow themselves to be captured alive. They would have killed themselves first.
Well we have no way to find that out i guess

oliveu2cm: i agree to the quoted statement (that they would have been worth a lot more alive) and therefore i disslike:

Quote:
US-General Ricardo Sanchez:
"Find, kill or capture"
"Find, capture or kill if neccessary" would have made more sense to me.

Klaus

p.s. interesting statements from the readers On BBC News
Old 07-23-2003, 02:32 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Normal i'm sure this will be misconstrued, but oh well

As glad as I am that these two monsters will no longer be able to carry out acts of violence, I would have preferred to see them brought to legal justice rather than "justice" at the end of a gun barrel. The willingness to carry out political assassinations disturbs me, and as far as I know, on paper it is against US rules.

This article from the AP elaborates further.
Quote:
Odai, Qusai Deaths Go Against U.S. Ban
By GEORGE GEDDA, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - In theory, pursuing with intent to kill violates a long-standing policy banning political assassination. It was the misfortune of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s sons, Odai and Qusai, that the Bush administration has not bothered to enforce the prohibition.

The ban on assassinations, spelled out in an executive order signed by President Ford in 1976 and reinforced by Presidents Carter and Reagan, made no distinction between wartime and peacetime. There are no loop holes; no matter how awful the leader, he could not be a U.S. target either directly or by a hired hand.

The advantages of using assassination as a political tool seemed less obvious a generation ago than they are today.

Ford's executive order was in response to the general revulsion over disclosures by a Senate committee about a series of overseas U.S. assassination attempts — some successful, some not — over many years.

The committee found eight attempts on the life of Cuban President Fidel Castro. Other targets included Rafael Trujillo of the Dominican Republic and Patrice Lumumba of the Congo, both in 1961; and Ngo Dinh Diem of South Vietnam in 1963. Lumumba and Diem were both assassinated, although the degree of U.S. involvement has never been clear.

One rationale for the ban was that an attempt on the life of a foreign leader could produce retaliation — a concern borne out in U.S.-Libyan tit-for-tat attacks during the late 1980's. Libyan agents killed two U.S. soldiers at a German disco in early April 1986. Days later, Reagan authorized the bombing of Libya; Gadhafi was spared but his 15-month old daughter was killed. Libyan agents were behind the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 in 1988, killing 270, most of them Americans.

Support for the assassination ban appears to have eroded considerably after Sept. 11, 2001. The events of that day demonstrated that a small but determined group, no matter how far away, could pose a greater threat to ordinary Americans than the German Luftwaffe could in 1940.

Abraham Sofaer, a former State Department legal adviser, makes the case for pre-emption against terrorists: "If a leader ... is responsible for killing Americans, and is planning to kill more Americans ... it would be perfectly proper to kill him rather than to wait until more Americans were killed."

The Bush administration seems to agree, but the old assassination taboo lives on, at least on paper.

"There's an executive order that prohibits the assassination of foreign leaders, and that remains in place," a White House spokesman said just as the Iraq hostilities were about to begin.
Perhaps if we are in a new era of warfare and the rules have changed, we should be certain to follow up with the legalities of it and not be breaking what we have down on paper. Just a thought to add to the mix.

Old 07-23-2003, 03:03 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Hello,

Quote:
Posted by oliveu2cm
<snip>
Saddam's sons would have been worth a lot more to us alive in captivity than they are dead.

Turning Saddam's sons over to the Hague tribunal for prosecution would have gotten the UN and the Europeans back on board, and gotten us some relief on reconstruction and on troops.

Turning them over to the Hague would have been better for the Iraqi people, too, who probably are not going to be persuaded that Saddam's sons are really dead by any dental records or DNA analysis CENTCOM can produce. Prosecuting them live on TV for weeks on end—that would have been persuasive...... <snip>
This would never have happened. The USA does not want the ICC to exist, you understand? Turning them over to the Court in The Hague would have implied that this Court is necessary for international law. No, for the Bush administration they maybe are worth more dead than alive...

C ya!

Marty
Old 07-23-2003, 03:19 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:

Klaus
[/URL]
Exactly.

I'm finding I agree with you a lot latelly Klaus!

Marty, I think you're bang-on there. It's a shame!
Old 07-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I am sure someone yelled "Coalition Forces. We have a search warrant. Please open your door."