Saddam to be Executed next month. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Well, we all know that hanging Saddam isn't going to bring back all of the lives that he has destroyed over the last, oh I don't know, 30 years or so. Is killing him the answer? I don't know. I suppose "his people" will make him a martyr when he's hanged. I don't think his hanging will be a deterent for others not to commit the type of crimes Saddam has had his hand in. But, here's the BIG question: Does Saddam deserve this? You bet your ass he does!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:18 AM   #77
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:53 PM
GAH! Saddam doesn't "deserve" to die. No one "deserves" to die, thats why we are so outraged. I don't care for Saddam, in fact I feel disgust towards him, as i do ALL murderers (GWB and co included) but I don't want to live in a world where people are killed for crimes they commit. I think it shows something in society, that I don't want to be a part of.

But as this thread, the other threads and so on have shown, you can discuss and debate but nothing ever changes!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:36 AM   #78
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Old 12-27-2006, 02:51 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

I feel the same way about this one as any. If I couldn't say I'd be the one to do the execution, then I can't support it. For me, killing is wrong. I can't say I feel he deserves to live, or he shouldn't suffer, but IMO killing is like a much higher form of passing judgment, one that makes me very uncomfortable.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:24 AM   #80
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:53 AM
It's perfectly fine to disagree with others in a respective manner, but sometimes when you feel like you are pounding your head against a brick wall over and over with the same person/people, its probably best to just try not interact with that person anymore. Just a thought.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 AM   #81
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
It would not be murder, because your giving the murderer due justice. If robbers steal they go to jail, but nothing else. I will never understand how any of you could not support the death of a tried and found guilty murderer (saddam) or anyone else.
i'm sorry to see that the last thread on the death penalty, where Angela Harlem appeared to had gotten through to you, had a really short-term effect on your views about this topic.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 AM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Should have been given the Ceausescu treatment, removed from within.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:09 AM   #83
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

...Heard something about that at a Rock concert I saw last year - Vertigo tour or something like that.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ok, if he doesn't deserve death, what do we do with this guy? Seriously. I guess the right thing to do would be to lock him in a small room and just let him die of natural causes. The guy is ill anyway, right? We're probably doing this guy a favor by hanging him. He's probably mentally prepared already to meet his maker. Now he finally gets to see whomever that may be. But, obviously, a lot folks want to just see this guy in prison for the rest of his life being forced to listen to Micheal Bolton or Celine Dion or Kenny G or Britney Spears for the rest of his days.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Billy Rotten
Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

...Heard something about that at a Rock concert I saw last year - Vertigo tour or something like that.
Well he didn't follow those rules and now must pay. The majority of iraq wants to see him dead, you cannot speak for them.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #86
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

The majority of iraq wants to see him dead, you cannot speak for them.
And neither can you. So let's not try.

He wasn't speaking for them, he was speaking for human rights all over. Try once to put yourself on the higher ground, don't concern yourself with what rights Saddam ignored. Try once not to use emotion.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:53 AM
omg I am not using emotion. I just want him dead. Your the one brining emotion into this also if your saying I am, because you have respect for his life, by not wanting him dead.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

I saw on the news that so many Iraqis were volunteering to be the hangman, even Iraqis who are now living in other countries. Many who had family killed by Saddam. I'm sure they think it will be satisfying for them, but I imagine ultimately it won't be. I can't imagine hanging anyone, even someone who had a family member of mine killed. Or witnessing an execution.

Someone will be chosen to do it but will remain anonymous, according to the news story I saw.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Stop ignoring my point. What about those who do not fully comprehend or are not fully aware of the rules?
Why is your focus on the murderer? Why are you trying to make excuses for a MURDERER? There is NO EXCUSE FOR MURDER. Why do you have such sympathy for murderers? I will never understand that.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Being opposed to the death penalty doesn't mean making excuses for murderers or rapists or any other criminal, or that you have sympathy for them.

I have zero sympathy for murderers or for Saddam Hussein, but I would also like to live in a world in which punishment is carried out but we don't sink down to an eye for an eye level and to their level. We are not barbarians. I won't cry over Saddam's death, I cry for his victims. But I won't cheer his death either. It is ultimately a completely empty satisfaction, not to mention that it is completely against my religious and spiritual beliefs.

I actually used to believe briefly when I was younger that the death penalty might be acceptable, it came mostly from my deeply felt anger about crime. But the more I thought about it and read about it, I changed my mind.