Saddam to be Executed next month.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
justin, have you considered that an essay penned by an active politician about his own deeds might not be very reliable?

Justin24 said:
If they did not care and are in jail because of it, what makes you think they will want to rehabillitate themselves in jail? Especially with all the different prison gangs?

17 year old kid, abused all his life, was shot by his own father when he was 15, ends up in a bar fight and kills a man in a drunken rage. Now at age 55 released, living in a halfway house, never once got in trouble while in prison, regrets what he did, and wants to contribute to society. My mother got a phone call from him on Christmas, the first time she's talked to her cousin outside the walls of prison in 38 years.

Should the state just have killed him, would it have changed anything, would it have detered anyone else?

I have a friend who just went back to prison (San Quinten) Drugs again. So yes I have. We tried to help him.

The only proof you want is something that is favor of your views. I have no respect for murderers and wish they were.............. You know.

Hmm, well drugs isn't really related to the topic. But I should've specified.

Still though, I think you said something to the effect of people in jail being less than...or heartless...or something. That to me tells me you are still dehumanizing them. Have you read anything by Sr. Helen Prejean?

We are all human beings. And we are bigger than our worst mistake.

Justin24 said:
Well my stance will always be for Death.

How do you reconcile that with your religious beliefs? I don't pretend to know what those are, but how do you?

Do you honestly think Justin that you could be Saddam's hangman, or that you could even witness an execution of someone who hypothetically killed a family member of yours, God forbid? How would you ultimately feel about witnessing that, and how would it give you any true and real satisfaction?

Justin24 said:
The only proof you want is something that is favor of your views. I have no respect for murderers and wish they were.............. You know.

You aren't answering the question. I want real proof, I don't care if it goes against my view at all, just show me real unbiased proof.

Justin24 said:
The only proof you want is something that is favor of your views.

well, at least he doesn't try to use biased political essays as proof.

:lmao:

I am Catholic. Well I dont live in Iraq. So I can't be the hangman, but if I was chosen then I would do it. Now if a family member of mine was killed. I would ask the court to let me push the button myself. I would know that he is dead and is no long breathing. I dont know how I would react. My friends have shown me videos from orgrish.com were people were killed, beheaded etc... I did not feel anything... well actually one. This russian soldier who was killed by chechens. I will not go into detail.

and to answer you RHS. No I have not read her book. I saw Dead Man Walking, How can anyone show forgivness towards someone who murdered a family member? I will never know.

I still think thats BS. How could locking up someone deter crime to a lower percentage rate than execution?

Justin24 said:
I still think thats BS. How could locking up someone deter crime to a lower percentage rate than execution?

well, there are plenty of posts in this thread that have tried to explain this to you.

U2Man said:

well, there are plenty of posts in this thread that have tried to explain this to you.

What Rehabillitation???? That is a fucking joke. want to make it cheaper for the state. Put a bullet in the head. Much cheaper.

The idea that the death penalty deters crime is bullshit and Justin will never find facts which support it. But this doesn't matter because his actual reason is moral outrage and not some tangible benefit to society.

It's all about moral outrage. Once you realize that, you'll realize there is no point debating anything with these people because you are speaking about objective facts and they are going on their red blooded response.

Maybe many people who commit certain crimes couldn't really care less whether they live or die? Maybe life is that bleak for them. But they still don't want to be locked up in prison when life is already a prison for them. I would think that many people who commit certain crimes live in a prison already. That is not to excuse in any way what they do. Or to condone it.

And some people can be rehabilitated, plenty of people can be.

I would think family members forgive because it is much easier for them to go on if they do-it is for them and not the perpetrator. Forgiving in that way is not forgetting or excusing. In so many ways it is the ultimate way of honoring your loved one.

Jesus was the ultimate believer in rehabilitation and redemption, and in forgiveness. Since you are Catholic Justin, you know that-I know you do.

anitram said:
The idea that the death penalty deters crime is bullshit and Justin will never find facts which support it. But this doesn't matter because his actual reason is moral outrage and not some tangible benefit to society.

It's all about moral outrage. Once you realize that, you'll realize there is no point debating anything with these people because you are speaking about objective facts and they are going on their red blooded response.

:up:

Justin24 said:

What Rehabillitation???? That is a fucking joke. want to make it cheaper for the state. Put a bullet in the head. Much cheaper.

why are you so keen on executing saddam? you seem to agree so strongly with him on so many issues. it's almost frightening. in fact, it is.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Jesus was the ultimate believer in rehabilitation and redemption, and in forgiveness. Since you are Catholic Justin, you know that-I know you do.

Well Jesus is a hippy, and in the bible in revelations he will bring judgement, our execution, so what are you going to do argue with him??

you obiviously show that you care for a murder because you dont want to see him die.

You all keep saying life is life, but whens the last time you did anything for your fellow man.

If you want to keep them alive, fine but then I want more taxes take out of your pockets to build more jails. and I also want you to go feed, cloth and teach them like the hippy Jesus would.:mad:

Justin24 said:

You all keep saying life is life, but whens the last time you did anything for your fellow man.

This type of statement really says a lot more about you than you may want people to know.

I too cannot seam to change my mind on this issue. I just do not equate trial by the state with murder. If the judgement has been made by a jury then give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's. Of all of the issues I have talked about in this forum. This would be one in which I have not felt myself move a hair on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom