Saddam to be Executed next month.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin24 said:
Ok so do you all hate me or dislike me for my point of view on capitol punishment. I had an uncle, who I never knew but my aunt finally told me that he was murdered by his former teacher.

I don't think anyone here hates you or dislikes you.......we just disagree

Justin24 said:
Ok so do you all hate me or dislike me for my point of view on capitol punishment. I had an uncle, who I never knew but my aunt finally told me that he was murdered by his former teacher.

we dislike your point of view. not you.

Axver said:

So, in other words, you don't respect human life?

No I do care about human life, just not murderers, because they dont represent human life or society anymore.

Justin24 said:
Ok so do you all hate me or dislike me for my point of view on capitol punishment.

No, I don't hate or dislike you personally. I do find your opinion on this topic to be reprehensible and barbaric, though.

Justin24 said:

No I do care about human life, just not murderers, because they dont represent human life or society anymore.

but an executioner does?

Well gotta run. Might post later. I hope you all have a safe, night or day. Much Love,

Justin out. :wink:

Fine real quick. For those opposed I want to know when this happened and why? Bye.

Axver said:

Well done, you have proven you understand next to nothing about the mind of those who commit murder and their socio-economic conditions. For example, many murderers have rather below average intelligence, either due to a lack of educational provisions in their childhood or due to mental dysfunctions, and thus they do not fully comprehend the gravity what they are doing, let alone the consequences. How is it just to kill such a person? Why not place them in prison so that they may receive the education and other services they require to hopefully make them functioning and capable members of society? Why is execution preferable?

I have proven that not murdering anyone is really what I least expect from someone who wants to be a part of society. That's it.

You KNEW the rules, you still went ahead and did it, YOU brought this upon yourself. End of story.

BrownEyedBoy said:

I have proven that not murdering anyone is really what I least expect from someone who wants to be a part of society. That's it.

You KNEW the rules, you still went ahead and did it, YOU brought this upon yourself. End of story.

You live in such a simple world, so black and white...

Do they not have gray there?

BrownEyedBoy said:

Stop ignoring my point. What about those who do not fully comprehend or are not fully aware of the rules?

BrownEyedBoy said:

what rules did saddam break? the only rules that existed in iraq were his own. he didn't break any rules of his society. by yours and justin's logic, that would make him an executioner and not a murderer. actually, he should be set free according to you.

Axver said:

Yeah, funny how execution doesn't actually work as a deterrent. I wonder why people such as Justin and BrownEyedBoy are incapable of acknowledging this, or even acknowledging that the point has been raised and has strong factual grounds.

Because they are constantly arguing from a premise of moral outrage. That argument, while passionate, has absolutely no place in our justice system or our courts, but these two don't get that, for some reason.

I know when I hear about some scumbag on the news who kills a child, my first reaction is "kill that son of a bitch". If someone hurts a member of my family I'd probably consider doing the job myself. It's a gut reaction, the desire for swift and final justice. I also think it's totally understandable.

However, I'm uneasy with state-sanctioned murder, which is what capital punishment is. It really is, whether you view it that way or not. Everyone plays a role, from the lawyers, to the jury, the judge, and the hangman/executioner. If your government sanctions executions then the difference between your nation and a state like Saddam's Iraq is only a question of degrees, rather than a fundamental difference in philosophy. We're all in that big group of nations that execute, the only difference is what we do it for.

Do any of the folks who are pro-execution have any issue with the inherent racism in the legal system, and how it reflects on the death row demographics? I'm too lazy to look up the numbers now, and I'm not sure there are any accurate figures available, but I'm sure there's a higher percentage of non-white murderers on death row nationwide than the percentage of non-white convicted murderers. I'd venture a guess that it's significantly higher, something like non-whites comprising 20% of murder convictions, but >50% of the death row population. If I can find it I'll post it (in its own thread - sorry for the little hijack).

Well, we all know that hanging Saddam isn't going to bring back all of the lives that he has destroyed over the last, oh I don't know, 30 years or so. Is killing him the answer? I don't know. I suppose "his people" will make him a martyr when he's hanged. I don't think his hanging will be a deterent for others not to commit the type of crimes Saddam has had his hand in. But, here's the BIG question: Does Saddam deserve this? You bet your ass he does!

GAH! Saddam doesn't "deserve" to die. No one "deserves" to die, thats why we are so outraged. I don't care for Saddam, in fact I feel disgust towards him, as i do ALL murderers (GWB and co included) but I don't want to live in a world where people are killed for crimes they commit. I think it shows something in society, that I don't want to be a part of.

But as this thread, the other threads and so on have shown, you can discuss and debate but nothing ever changes!

I feel the same way about this one as any. If I couldn't say I'd be the one to do the execution, then I can't support it. For me, killing is wrong. I can't say I feel he deserves to live, or he shouldn't suffer, but IMO killing is like a much higher form of passing judgment, one that makes me very uncomfortable.

It's perfectly fine to disagree with others in a respective manner, but sometimes when you feel like you are pounding your head against a brick wall over and over with the same person/people, its probably best to just try not interact with that person anymore. Just a thought.

Justin24 said:
It would not be murder, because your giving the murderer due justice. If robbers steal they go to jail, but nothing else. I will never understand how any of you could not support the death of a tried and found guilty murderer (saddam) or anyone else.

i'm sorry to see that the last thread on the death penalty, where Angela Harlem appeared to had gotten through to you, had a really short-term effect on your views about this topic.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

...Heard something about that at a Rock concert I saw last year - Vertigo tour or something like that.

Ok, if he doesn't deserve death, what do we do with this guy? Seriously. I guess the right thing to do would be to lock him in a small room and just let him die of natural causes. The guy is ill anyway, right? We're probably doing this guy a favor by hanging him. He's probably mentally prepared already to meet his maker. Now he finally gets to see whomever that may be. But, obviously, a lot folks want to just see this guy in prison for the rest of his life being forced to listen to Micheal Bolton or Celine Dion or Kenny G or Britney Spears for the rest of his days.

Billy Rotten said:
Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

...Heard something about that at a Rock concert I saw last year - Vertigo tour or something like that.

Well he didn't follow those rules and now must pay. The majority of iraq wants to see him dead, you cannot speak for them.

Justin24 said:

The majority of iraq wants to see him dead, you cannot speak for them.

And neither can you. So let's not try.

He wasn't speaking for them, he was speaking for human rights all over. Try once to put yourself on the higher ground, don't concern yourself with what rights Saddam ignored. Try once not to use emotion.

omg I am not using emotion. I just want him dead. Your the one brining emotion into this also if your saying I am, because you have respect for his life, by not wanting him dead.

I saw on the news that so many Iraqis were volunteering to be the hangman, even Iraqis who are now living in other countries. Many who had family killed by Saddam. I'm sure they think it will be satisfying for them, but I imagine ultimately it won't be. I can't imagine hanging anyone, even someone who had a family member of mine killed. Or witnessing an execution.

Someone will be chosen to do it but will remain anonymous, according to the news story I saw.

Axver said:

Stop ignoring my point. What about those who do not fully comprehend or are not fully aware of the rules?

Why is your focus on the murderer? Why are you trying to make excuses for a MURDERER? There is NO EXCUSE FOR MURDER. Why do you have such sympathy for murderers? I will never understand that. :tsk:

Being opposed to the death penalty doesn't mean making excuses for murderers or rapists or any other criminal, or that you have sympathy for them.

I have zero sympathy for murderers or for Saddam Hussein, but I would also like to live in a world in which punishment is carried out but we don't sink down to an eye for an eye level and to their level. We are not barbarians. I won't cry over Saddam's death, I cry for his victims. But I won't cheer his death either. It is ultimately a completely empty satisfaction, not to mention that it is completely against my religious and spiritual beliefs.

I actually used to believe briefly when I was younger that the death penalty might be acceptable, it came mostly from my deeply felt anger about crime. But the more I thought about it and read about it, I changed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom