Saddam Says NO! to BLIX - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: If Saddam does not destroy the missiles what do you think should happen?
US/UN to War for Violations of 687 13 76.47%
Us/UN Increase Sanctions against Iraq 1 5.88%
US to War without UN 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Saddam Says NO! to BLIX

Saddam is as of tonight refusing to begin destroying the missiles that Hans Blix has ordered Iraq to destroy because they are in violation of the banned weapons listed in Security Council Resolution 687 (Cease-Fire Agreement).

If he does not destroy the missles what do you think should happen?

Old 02-24-2003, 11:15 PM   #2
Purgatory

Local Time: 04:17 AM
more sanctions means more suffering, sanctions dont work, saddam is just as healthy in every way as he used to be. his people on the other hand, are not.

and just how are you going to rally a country to rise up against your "president" if your the ones who have trade sanctions slapped on them?

Old 02-24-2003, 11:20 PM   #3
Kid A

well everything with the UN is optional, so it's up to Saddam to disarm in good faith if and when he feels like it, I mean after all, it's self defense!
Old 02-24-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
Purgatory

Local Time: 04:17 AM
thats just it.

with the states on their door, and with everyone in the world knowing theyre about to attack, would it make ANY sense for them to disarm those missiles NOW? ofcourse not! it would be absurd if he disarmed anything like that now, knowing he will need whatever he can muster to thwart an imminent american attack.

now dont get me wrong. i believe those missiles should be gone, but a garauntee of peace will be needed.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:40 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I think you should have redone the options. I picked the US/UN should go to war if Saddam violates UN obligations, but I would support the US going to war if UN did not approve the action. Also, even if the UN does not vote for military action, there are already tens of thousands of British troops in Kuwait or on the way to Kuwait in addition to several thousand Australian troops, so its not just the USA. There will be a coalition without the UN if they do not vote for military action.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Sting, I hate making polls. I hate making quizes for my students. THe Coalition of the Willing will be led by the US. Let's not kid ourselves. There is no war without the US.

I picked US/UN as well. I was waiting for you to point out the flaws with the Sanctions hurting the Iraqi people. You want to enlighten the thread or shall I?

LOL
Old 02-25-2003, 07:04 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Come on people....answer the poll. Yes I know there are more choices we would all like to add. In my humble opinion, these are the three that are most likely to happen.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Hmmm...awful quiet today.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:59 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

i voted for the first option.

sanctions are worthless.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:05 AM   #10
New Yorker

I can't ever vote in polls. But I don't like any of the answers. Sanctions are only strengthening his position as people are so dependant on the Gov't.
I suppose #1 is the best of the bunch. Definitely against the third.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:05 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Come on people....answer the poll. Yes I know there are more choices we would all like to add. In my humble opinion, these are the three that are most likely to happen.
Well in that case, your question should have been: "What do you think WILL happen?" not "What do you think SHOULD happen?"

Maybe it's picky, but there's certainly a difference, wouldn't you agree?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:13 AM   #12
On Thin Ice

I'd be interested in hearing any alternative punitive measures to be imposed on Saddam rather than sanctions?..

Beefeater
Old 02-25-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
On Thin Ice

Sanctions are only worthless as Saddam cares not one bit what happens to his people, However the people suffer as much as they do because Saddam takes the money from his Oil Sales et al, and uses them to finance his desires for WMD.

It is confusing to see that people miss that Saddam is the great evil here.

Beefeater
Old 02-25-2003, 12:55 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 AM
If sanctions are worthless (and I believe they are as Saddam stays insulated from their effect), how will continued inspections motivate him?????
Old 02-25-2003, 03:03 PM   #15
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 11:17 AM
Iraq says they havent decided yet wether to destroy these rockets or not. They are still talking with UN and Blix.
They are a little confused, because exactly these rockets were confirmed to not violate the UN resolutions in February.
The difference might be that in February they calculated the distance of the Rockets including a warhead and this time without.

This is not my Opinion, just a press release translated to english.

A comment to the poll:

No matter if we think a war is the answer or not:
If military action is the answer it should be under control of the UN. Preferably with some troops of Arab countries in control. That would increase the chances for success (not of the war, it should be easy for the US to win against a country which has been internationally boycotted for 10-15 years and had no chance to buy big weapon systems). But for the aftet war phase. Problems won't be solved and Democracy only works if the people like that idea. Look at Pakistan that just starting democracy dosn't work.

It would also be helpful to convince the other big european contries if US and Britain don't want to do Nation Building (aprox. 10.000.000.000 $ ?) alone.

Klaus