Saddam Says NO! to BLIX - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: If Saddam does not destroy the missiles what do you think should happen?
US/UN to War for Violations of 687 13 76.47%
Us/UN Increase Sanctions against Iraq 1 5.88%
US to War without UN 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2003, 05:15 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Tough call. This is a complex problem with (possibly) no real "solutions". I don't like sanctions. They are hurting the Iraqi people, but I'll be damned if they're hurting Saddam. How many blasted palaces does the guy have?? If someone stuck a gun at me and forced me to pick I suppose it'd be #1.

Old 02-25-2003, 05:15 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Even if the USA goes in with a coalition of the willing rather than the UN blessing, the UN will be there in the aftermath. Thats what happened in Kosovo. In terms of nation building, I can't think of another third world country that is in a better position long term for economic development than Iraq. The Worlds second largest oil reserves in addition to two very large rivers provide lots of natural resources that people in the former Yugoslavia and Afghanistan can only dream about.

Old 02-25-2003, 05:25 PM   #18
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 12:43 PM
STING2: youre right, Iraq is financialy in a great shape, my comparision to Pakistan wasn't because of the money, but how long democracy "survived" there - petty fast the military got the power there - then UN -> put it back to democracy, then they voted for the military dictator .

All i'm going to say is:
Be careful you can only teach democracy by living it, and get the people to a point where they really want it.
The end of the iraq war might be the begining of the real problems.

Klaus
Old 02-25-2003, 06:25 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Perhaps we can help the Iraqi people use their resources to make their country prosperous. I admit that this is probably impossible as long as Saddam is in control. The people are screwed because he doesn't give a damn about his people. One question is, though, can military action take Saddam out? Not necessarily. Desert Storm obviously didn't take him out. Two wars didn't take Slobodan Milosevic out of the former Yugoslavia. I despised Milosevic, and I despise Saddam. These guys are both jerks. The Great Dictator Quandry continues.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:02 PM   #20
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 12:43 PM
verte: right - and also it's nice that the taliban don't rule afghanistan anymore Ossama is still a free man. We have no clue where he lives, if he lives and what his next plans are.
Maybee that's too scary for our people, so we entertain them with a war against Saddam?

Klaus
Old 02-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Verte76,

The only way US or other countries could take Milosovic out of power would be by a conventional military invasion of Serbia to take Belgrade. In both wars in Bosnia and Kosovo, this was never done. In Desert Storm, only a military invasion of Iraq to take Baghdad would have unseated Saddam Hussien. Again this was not done in Desert Storm. But, in this war, there will be an invasion to take Baghdad.

The Taliban are out of power in Afghanistan and Al Quada are on the run. Bin Ladin may still be alive, but how effective has he really been since 9/11? Seems the most he has been able to do is make little movie's and do a bit of talk radio.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:19 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Klaus--I think that the politicians should just plain admit that the search for Osama is tough, but he's the guy I want to get more than Saddam. Saddam is indeed a , but what about the who masterminded the attacks on the WTC??? I want to kick his . Do they just want to throw in the towel on him? I'm concerned about Afghanistan, too. Remember, that's where the Taliban is still centered. I think the Taliban is a bunch of jerks, too. Remember them??? They support terrorists, too, big time!
Old 02-25-2003, 08:11 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Verte76,

The only way US or other countries could take Milosovic out of power would be by a conventional military invasion of Serbia to take Belgrade. In both wars in Bosnia and Kosovo, this was never done. In Desert Storm, only a military invasion of Iraq to take Baghdad would have unseated Saddam Hussien. Again this was not done in Desert Storm. But, in this war, there will be an invasion to take Baghdad.

The Taliban are out of power in Afghanistan and Al Quada are on the run. Bin Ladin may still be alive, but how effective has he really been since 9/11? Seems the most he has been able to do is make little movie's and do a bit of talk radio.

OK. True, there was never an invasion of Belgrade. I only remember stuff like the coalition taking out every bridge in Novi Sad. I remember hoping to hell they could take out Milosevic but they screwed that up.
We'll see what happens and hope it's for the best for the Iraqi people. I'm tired of them suffering. I can only imagine how they must feel. Stuff like this makes me very nervous. I can't help it. I'm an autistic and have a high anxiety level to begin with. War stuff is unbelievably stressful and scary for me.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:40 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think if saddam refuses to destroy the missles we should just say "oh, ok, very sorry to trouble you; we don't know what we were thinking" and then just bury our heads in the sand.

but if we really want to be harsh we sould just hit him with a feathered pilow and say "please be nice".
Old 02-25-2003, 09:00 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO
I think if saddam refuses to destroy the missles we should just say "oh, ok, very sorry to trouble you; we don't know what we were thinking" and then just bury our heads in the sand.

but if we really want to be harsh we sould just hit him with a feathered pilow and say "please be nice".

Maybe he's allergic to feathers.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:07 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:43 AM
Quote:

But, JOFO, we must do more than apologize and bury our heads in the sand. We will owe him greatly for the inconvenience and embarassment we have caused him. And I have never heard anything us cruel, inhumane and dispicable as your suggestion to hit him with a pillow. He is a human being, for heaven's sake. Have you ever heard of international war crimes?

~U2Alabama
Old 02-25-2003, 11:26 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 AM
interesting results pictured here.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:27 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:43 AM
So, lets bash the French.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:32 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:
Carefull! Use a feathered pillow and the animal right activists will be protesting!!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:02 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Re: So, lets bash the French.

Quote:
Originally posted by deep