Saddam Hussein sentenced to death.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:37 AM
And with this sentence, how are Hussein's captors any better than Hussein?

The cycle of bloodlust and bloodthirsty vengeance continues.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:37 AM
Well, I think we can all agree that Saddam Hussein needs to be punished in one way or another.

This is a question of whether you are for or against death penalty in general.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 PM
at long last! the final throes! we've turned a corner!

now, with Hussein gone, the clouds will part, rainbows will stretch across a baghdad side, sunnis and shiites will toss aside their differences and embrace!

(as for the death penalty stuff, i'm fairly agnostic about the morality of it's use, it doesn't seem to be an effective punishment for crime and it's finality makes me come out against it, however, i do think it's silly to equivocate between Saddam and the hundreds of thousands he's killed and those who would execute Saddam)
Old 11-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Death by hanging...

I'd rather put him in the stocks and let the people he tortured throw rotten food at him.

Seriously though, killing him will not bring back the lives of those he killed, it will just bring more bloodshed. I say lock him up in solitary confinement or something to that effect. Make him watch American TV all day every day.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Nice present for the High Tribunal to give the President two days before the midterms in which the Republicans are endangered.

I'm not disputing the verdict, but was there any surprise? This was a political trial with a foregone conclusion and wrapped up nicely in time to give the President some badly needed advantageous PR.
I agree.

And while I'm against the death penalty I think saying this makes his captors every bit as bad as him is a stretch- the thousands people he killed didn't get a trial.

I won't be especially sad to see him go, I just hope that in sentencing him they considered not only the effects on him but the ramifications for the country. I honestly don't know if the show of force will be good for Iraq in some way or if it will produce more violence than a life sentence would have. I can sort of see how it has the potential to do both.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Nice present for the High Tribunal to give the President two days before the midterms in which the Republicans are endangered.
I guess I'm a bit more skeptical, so to me it's a nice gift for the President to give the Republican candidates. I believe he's still the one pulling all the strings over there, as far as government goes.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Oh, I don't think it was an unmanipulated gift.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:37 AM

A gift for the mid-term election, and so much for "justice" Bush promised.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 12:37 AM
The man is being hung for apparent crimes that took place back in the day he was a "friend" to the U.S killing Iranians essentially on their behalf.
I guess it's time for Bush and Blair to face the noose too hey?After all they are indirectly responsible for many more deaths than Saddam Hussein could ever be accused of. (No i don't hate my country, just its's venal politicians who are selling us all down the river.)
Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I'm not disputing the verdict, but was there any surprise? This was a political trial with a foregone conclusion and wrapped up nicely in time to give the President some badly needed advantageous PR.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:21 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

First of all, it's absolutely sickening that this was rigged for the verdict to come two days before the elections. Political manipulation at its finest - anyone want to bet that if Osama's caught in the next two years, he's going to get his death sentence only a few days before the 2008 elections? I put the odds at 3 to 1.

Secondly, they shouldn't kill him. His death is just going to piss off the insurgents even more. They ought to throw him into jail for life in the middle of Kurdistan, and toss away the key. Then he'll sure have time to regret his actions.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:37 PM
All I am going to say is he is getting what he deserves. People that is my opinion ok. And as for Dazzling. HE has his own religious view on why he does not want to mention God's full name. HE is not forcing you to believe in god. And I find it sad that you mock him by saying it's only a word. It seems you are forcing your non-beliefs onto others.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

She's not forcing anything. Perhaps she's pushing it, but I think it's more curiosity about why he's doing it than anything.

Question for those who support him being put to death: what long-term advantage do you see by Saddam being killed now rather than spending the rest of his days in a maximum security prison? We all know how brutal life is in an Iraqi prison (think Abu Ghraib).
Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

She's not forcing anything. Perhaps she's pushing it, but I think it's more curiosity about why he's doing it than anything.

Question for those who support him being put to death: what long-term advantage do you see by Saddam being killed now rather than spending the rest of his days in a maximum security prison? We all know how brutal life is in an Iraqi prison (think Abu Ghraib).
Well he will still be alive. Media will still want to interview him which he could spread his message with or with out media to his followers. With the way things are in Iraq imagine they attacked the prison he is in to help him escape??
Old 11-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
And as for Dazzling. HE has his own religious view on why he does not want to mention God's full name. HE is not forcing you to believe in god. And I find it sad that you mock him by saying it's only a word. It seems you are forcing your non-beliefs onto others.
sigh. AB was asked a question about the dash instead of an o in the proper noun God. AB answered and dazzlingamy asked a couple of other questions.

Perhaps you should re-read the rest of the reply. I'm pretty sure dazzlingamy's "it's just a word" comment was directed to my comment (only AB's initial post was up when I was typing my post, so I didn't see the reply until after I posted) regarding some people's use of asterisks in the word cunt (and occasionally the word fuck also). Everyone knows exactly what word is being used, so I don't see the point of the asterisks.