Saddam - executed !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC said:

Should I keep going?

None of the quotes you posted say anything about the death penalty. Every single one of them is about personal behavior and has nothing to do with the government. You've got to read verses in context.

If you think that these verses do apply to the way the government handles criminials, then what you are saying is that

(1)Criminals can't be judged by the government, because everyone sins

and

(2)The government must forgive criminals (and of course if they forgive them, they must set them free)

No, Christ never spoke about the death penalty. His Father however, did speak about it and even commanded it.

As for me, I am against the death penalty, but only because innocent people have been and will be executed. However, for Saddam, I'll make an exception - there is no chance he is innocent.

verte76 said:
I feel torn. I hated Saddam, but I'm opposed to capital punishment, and I don't think this is a step in the right direction for Iraq. He was already out of power. My mother told me she saw the execution on the news (I never watch TV). I definitely do not think it should have been shown in public. What have we become, that we think public execution is entertainment? Even if you support capital punishment, don't you think there's something sick about enjoying watching a death?

This was actually aired!!! :shocked: :tsk: I really don't get it.

I think they only aired up to the part when they were fixing the noose around the neck.

I quote that line from "A time to kill "

Somethin like :

"Did u ever watched a man die ? " .......

For those who are in favor this punishment , I dare u to watch any of it .... but not in TV , in person facing it .... Then u come after to say what's your opinion

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Who cares we never found the WMD? The families of all the soliders who were killed in the name of finding them.

Oh, really? Too few of them to make things change...

ALEXRUS said:
Now when the main threat (after the nefer found WMD but who cares?) to the US security has been removed, we can all make a sigh of relief and feel confident that something like 9/11 will never happen again :)
What a nice NY present for the whole free world!

Please tell me you're joking. He was never the main threat. There's this little group called Al-Quaida out there, and last I checked, Osama bin Laden was still alive.

Sheesh.

Axver said:

You disgust me. I cannot believe you actually take glee in the death of another person. How would you like it if I were glad you died, or glad your father died?

so stalin was right.

when 1 man dies it's a tragedy, when a million die, it's a statistic.

Once upon a time, it was a long time ago

I posted a photo of George W. Bush

It was a collage made with photos of dead American soldiers

My thread was immediately closed

But that one! People! That one is sooo fresh! Sooo witty! It is sooo nice to be able to discuss calmy without any irony. That's wonderful. I love you all. :heart: :heart: :heart:

ALEXRUS said:

These are the conclusions that YOU make...

yes, because i don't believe a million people dieing is at all distressing.

that indeed is my conclusion, as you so wisely put it.

MissMaCo said:
Once upon a time, it was a long time ago

I posted a photo of George W. Bush

It was a collage made with photos of dead American soldiers

My thread was immediately closed

u still got a link Miss ?

I'm against the death penalty, but I'm not exactly shedding tears for Saddam. I certainly don't feel like dancing on his grave, either. I hope I never reach the point where I rejoice at the death of another human being, however evil they may be.

I watched the news this morning and a tape showing Saddam was shown, it was him having material tied around his neck and then the noose. The people speaking to him were masked, and then it cut to him in a body bag, to prove that he actually was dead.... Maybe this is just me, but just ending a person's life is such an unnatural thing and I don't think his death should have been under such circumstances.

I am not in any way saying that he deserved better, because he truely was an evil man... I don't know what I'm trying to say, maybe it would have been better to let him live out the rest of his life in prison :shrug:

The whole thing just made me feel a bit :|

Maybe we should start posting pictures and videos of all the terrors Saddam caused and see how people feel. Saddam was pure evil and he deserved to pay the absolute highest price for his crimes. I pray that I never live in a country where the murderer and torturer of millions of innocent lives is treated just as lightly as the murderer of one.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
Maybe we should start posting pictures and videos of all the terrors Saddam caused and see how people feel. Saddam was pure evil and he deserved to pay the absolute highest price for his crimes. I pray that I never live in a country where the murderer and torturer of millions of innocent lives is treated just as lightly as the murderer of one.

Noone here is supporting Saddam's atrocious acts. What people here are saying is they are upset by unnatural death. Regardless of who is doing it, a dictator, government, drive-by, it doesn't matter. People are upset by the constant killing, the steady stream of blood that seems to never end. Blood will never wash away the tears of the loads of victims, victims' families and friends, etc.

redhotswami said:

Noone here is supporting Saddam's atrocious acts. What people here are saying is they are upset by unnatural death. Regardless of who is doing it, a dictator, government, drive-by, it doesn't matter. People are upset by the constant killing, the steady stream of blood that seems to never end. Blood will never wash away the tears of the loads of victims, victims' families and friends, etc.

Thank you :yes:

This is kind of what I was trying to say, only I blather on and never get to the point.

redhotswami said:

Blood will never wash away the tears of the loads of victims, victims' families and friends, etc.

Exactly.
Besides, I cannot see how the execution of Saddam can help improve the whole mess with Iraq. Enlighten me.
I can easily see though how it can complicate things... The guy has ALREADY become a martyr for many...

verte76 said:
I hated Saddam, but I'm opposed to capital punishment, and I don't think this is a step in the right direction for Iraq. He was already out of power.

Exactly. I don't understand all these comments about "a tyrant's power is now over". People, Saddam has been an impotent windbag with no tangible power since 2003. This execution achieved nothing.

Zoomerang96 said:
so stalin was right.

when 1 man dies it's a tragedy, when a million die, it's a statistic.

WTF does that have to do with anything?

shart1780 said:

Frankly, I find your implication that those of us who do not support the use of execution as "justice" for Saddam also do not care for his victims to be disgusting, reprehensible, and demonstrative of a total lack of comprehension of any of the discussion that has taken place here. Is it not clear that if we consider taking even Saddam's life to be wrong, the deaths of multitudes of innocent people pains us to the depths of our very being? I have shed tears and been unable to stomach watching footage of those killed and their families coming to terms with what happened. I have not and will not shed a tear for Saddam, but I strongly oppose taking human life or taking delight in the loss of human life in all circumstances.

I am frustrated by the lack of nuance some people here seem to have. Respecting Saddam's basic humanity does in no way respect or condone his acts.

those pictures of the execution, that you stumble upon everywhere on the internet at the moment, are very telling.

one barbaric government has been replaced by a new barbaric government. the spiral of revenge and bloodthirst will continue.

U2Man said:
those pictures of the execution, that you stumble upon everywhere on the internet at the moment, are very telling.

one barbaric government has been replaced by a new barbaric government. the spiral of revenge and bloodthirst will continue.

I agree, and killing him did not stop the violence in Iraq:tsk:

of course not.

and also, i actually find those pictures embarrassing for the u.s., britain and the "new" iraq.

U2Man said:

All I have seen is a picture on Wikipedia of the noose being hung around Saddam's neck. It made me nauseous. I don't care what a person has done, no-one deserves that. Treatment such as that is subhuman and reprehensible.

And for those who like to make completely inaccurate allegations about the character of myself and others who share my views, I ask you this: if I feel nauseous over this, just how deeply repulsed and saddened must I be by the deaths of innocent people? Think about it, for goodness' sake.

Axver said:

Frankly, I find your implication that those of us who do not support the use of execution as "justice" for Saddam also do not care for his victims to be disgusting, reprehensible, and demonstrative of a total lack of comprehension of any of the discussion that has taken place here. Is it not clear that if we consider taking even Saddam's life to be wrong, the deaths of multitudes of innocent people pains us to the depths of our very being? I have shed tears and been unable to stomach watching footage of those killed and their families coming to terms with what happened. I have not and will not shed a tear for Saddam, but I strongly oppose taking human life or taking delight in the loss of human life in all circumstances.

I am frustrated by the lack of nuance some people here seem to have. Respecting Saddam's basic humanity does in no way respect or condone his acts.

Axver, you and I might not get along often, but this is :up:

When did anyone care about humanity, or even him period?

If your into evolution, then were still a planet of apes, only we don't look like our cousins in the Zoo.

Justin24 said:
When did anyone care about humanity, or even him period?

If your into evolution, then were still a planet of apes, only we don't look like our cousins in the Zoo.

Your arguments lacked substance to begin with, Justin. This post really takes the biscuit.

My mom went to have lunch with s local priest. He talked about the execution and told her that no matter how bad anyone is you should always forgive. My mom agreed with him:huh: That he is a human being just like all of us. :huh:

Axver said:

Nicely said, Axver. :up:

Back
Top Bottom