Saddam - executed !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Justin24 said:

Saddams execution was not murder, it was just.

That's not my point.

My point is that you believe in "eye for an eye" justice, e.g. Saddam killed people, thus he must be killed.

Now, in this case, Saddam was hung on an Islamic holiday, which is just as illegal as murder. Why aren't you calling for those who broke this law to be hung on a holiday? That would, after all, be "eye for an eye": hang someone on a holiday and you get hung on a holiday.

Be consistent.

Really and what about Islamic militants who bomb Christians or Jews on there Holy Days?

Are we supposed to Cater to only the Muslims. I read reports of people cheering in the streets, look there happy.

Justin24 said:

Well I am sorry you feel that way. But If your a religious person, then God gave us a right to seek punishment towards individuals as I see.

Originally said by Jesus Christ
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. - John 8:7

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, Let me take the speck out of your eye when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. - Matthew 7:2-5

For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you - Luke 6:38

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. - Matthew 6:14-15

Should I keep going?

Justin24 said:
Really and what about Islamic militants who bomb Christians or Jews on there Holy Days?

Uh, what is your point? Answer my question. We aren't talking about religion per se here. We're talking about IRAQI LAW.

Are we supposed to Cater to only the Muslims. I read reports of people cheering in the streets, look there happy.

Again, what is your point? People were on the streets and cheering after 11 September 2001 too. People cheering isn't proof of anything, except perhaps that no matter what happens, you can find someone to cheer no matter how tasteless cheering such an occurrence may be.

DaveC said:

Should I keep going?

Well Jesus already "Died" for my sins and will continue to forgive, not matter what. So I'm ok.

Jesus was a spiritual being more than human. Did god forgive Jesus when he went ape shit in temple when merchants were selling goods?

Justin24 said:

Well Jesus already "Died" for my sins and will continue to forgive, not matter what. So I'm ok.

Jesus was a spiritual being more than human. Did god forgive Jesus when he went ape shit in temple when merchants were selling goods?

Well now you're being blasphemous, which is the unpardonable sin. :shrug:

Justin24 said:

So I guess "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." doesn't really apply personally to you, huh?

This is so theologically incorrect that I'm not even going to touch it. A 5 year-old in Sunday School knows better than this. I haven't been to church in three years and I know how unbelievably absurd this is.

Come on, use your brain.

As I said good night to all keep safe and I hope you all have a fun and safe New Years.

Justin24 said:

I guess I'll just blow up the neighborhood since Jesus already has me saved in his book. :up:

I'm glad that Saddam is dead. I can't friggin believe you people are turning his death into another reason to hate Bush. Good we hanged one of the most EVIL men of the century and you're complaining? Boohoo, poor Saddam. He's a human being, but he's let himdself be reduced to something much lower than any human should be. He's a mass murderer and you want him alive. Good God I can't believe this crap. You probably think Jesus is hugging Saddam right now in a giant flower print tashiki and sharing a joint.

Pathetic.

One leaves, and another shows up.

It's past 4 am here and my body is screaming at me to go to bed, but I'm really really tempted to have at you for this one, shart. But I fear it's too easy to rip apart such total and complete ignorance.

I'll wait to see what others are going to do to you first.

Have at him, FYM. :corn:

The eye for a eye thing is barbaric IMO.

Saddam should have rotted in prison, but the US needed results and Iraq wanted to put the past behind them.

saddam_underwear.jpg

I always knew Saddam was well hung...

shart1780 said:
I'm glad that Saddam is dead.

You disgust me. I cannot believe you actually take glee in the death of another person. How would you like it if I were glad you died, or glad your father died?

I can't friggin believe you people are turning his death into another reason to hate Bush.

:huh: WTF? This is the first time I've said "Bush" in this entire thread.

He's a human being, but he's let himdself be reduced to something much lower than any human should be.

So we should lower ourselves to that level too?

He's a mass murderer and you want him alive.

Yeah. Why snuff him out now? Throw him in jail for the rest of his life and let his crimes gnaw away at him. Maybe then he will come to some remorse. Now, he's just died defiant. That defeats the purpose if you ask me.

You probably think Jesus is hugging Saddam right now in a giant flower print tashiki and sharing a joint.

Pathetic.

Yeah, it's pretty pathetic how Jesus's grace knows no bounds, huh? He should just be a hate-filled, bloodthirsty prick like you. Who needs all that bleeding heart, leftist hippy nonsense about forgiveness, turning the other cheek, and loving your enemies?

shart1780 said:
I'm glad that Saddam is dead. I can't friggin believe you people are turning his death into another reason to hate Bush. Good we hanged one of the most EVIL men of the century and you're complaining? Boohoo, poor Saddam. He's a human being, but he's let himdself be reduced to something much lower than any human should be. He's a mass murderer and you want him alive. Good God I can't believe this crap. You probably think Jesus is hugging Saddam right now in a giant flower print tashiki and sharing a joint.

Pathetic.

You do realize the century is only seven years old, right? And you do realize that the crimes Saddam was 'convicted' of(I put it in quotes because the whole trial was a joke), and most of the crimes Saddam commited period, took place in LAST century, right?

And you do realize that your line of thinking is that of a comic book world, right?

There are no absolutes in this world. When talking about literal color, white is the presence of every color in the spectrum, while black is the absence of all color. You can't look at people in black and white because a 'white' person is a perfect person and a 'black' person(NOT TALKING ABOUT SKIN COLOR IN ANY WAY) is one who is devoid of any redeemable characteristics at all. Neither exist. Period.

Grey is the color of the world. There are no good people and there are no bad people. Some people have a much darker shade of grey - closer to black - than others(i.e.Saddam, Hitler, etc), and some have a much lighter shade of grey, but it is all grey nontheless.

It is wrong to cause the death of anyone, and it is wrong to celebrate the death of anyone - ANYONE. To think that any of us have the all-knowing wisdom that gives us the right to decide who deserves to live and who deserves to die is arrogant and self-righteous.

And I'm not even religious at all. But that is what I believe.

Justin24 said:

Justin, Justin, Justin.

It makes me sick to my stomach to read that Psalm-quote in your signature with every post you write.
I am not bashing you as a person, but your view of the world is, in my opinion, a disgrace to Christianity. I have to wonder what in the world happened to you to make you this jaded at such a young age. :(

First of all none of my opinion about someone elses life has to do with stupid religion. Its because of religion we're in the fucking mess in the first place (but we'll leave that there)

I don't feel sorry for Saddam, im not protesting against his hanging because i respect him i don't - i think he should have been locked up for the rest of his life.

To take a life is not ANYONEs RIGHT. No one not your "god" not authorities and definately not some man on the street.

and to revel in his death, and grab the few iraqis and report 'oh everyone is so happy they're dancing around him' :|

Justin24 said:
God gave me a right to think and speak. God likes a challange.

You have the right to think and speak all you want but as far as this forum goes I'm kindly asking you to stop getting into the same arguments over and over again.
You've made it perfectly clear MANY times how you feel about this subject, and every time some sort of argument breaks out.
Its time to give it a rest.

I would just like to make a contribution with regards to the matter of whether Saddam's execution was legal. I've done some Googling, and although I have not found anything definitive (e.g. an official site with a clear legal statement), what I have found has been rather interesting.

Under an Iraqi law written during Saddam's regime, executions are prohibited on religious holidays. This law has evidently remained on the books since Saddam's removal from power rather than being revoked, so it is still in force. Now, this should be pretty simple: if it is a religious holiday, any execution is illegal. However, there is a twist. The date of Eid is not fixed on the Gregorian calendar, but on an Islamic lunar calendar, so its date is different every year for Gregorian calendar users. And then, of course, differences between Sunnis and Shi'ites are thrown into the mix. Thus, Eid this year is on 30 December for Sunnis (such as Saddam) and 31 December for Shi'ites (who have control of the Iraqi government). So on which date is the execution illegal, or is it illegal on both? Do the people carrying out the execution even care?

So the long and short of it is that the execution is of dubious legal status - it may have been legal, it may not have been. I expect people on both sides will twist this for their own purposes. :sigh:

well, if anyone was in doubt - it has now been confirmed that iraq still has a barbaric government, despite of 4 years of war, hundreds of thousands of killed people, large-scale human suffering, etc., etc.

anyway, i think they chose to kill saddam for practical reasons, maybe even moreso than simple revenge and bloodthirst. they hope it will take away the sunnis' illusions of a saddam comeback.

wonderful post up there, axver btw. :up:

Last edited:
Now when the main threat (after the nefer found WMD but who cares?) to the US security has been removed, we can all make a sigh of relief and feel confident that something like 9/11 will never happen again :)
What a nice NY present for the whole free world!

ALEXRUS said:
Now when the main threat (after the nefer found WMD but who cares?) to the US security has been removed, we can all make a sigh of relief and feel confident that something like 9/11 will never happen again :)
What a nice NY present for the whole free world!

I sincerely hope this is a bad attempt at sarcasm.

Who cares we never found the WMD? The families of all the soliders who were killed in the name of finding them.

This thread seriously has me questioning the mental state of some people.

Axver's post :up:

I feel torn. I hated Saddam, but I'm opposed to capital punishment, and I don't think this is a step in the right direction for Iraq. He was already out of power. My mother told me she saw the execution on the news (I never watch TV). I definitely do not think it should have been shown in public. What have we become, that we think public execution is entertainment? Even if you support capital punishment, don't you think there's something sick about enjoying watching a death?

Back
Top Bottom