saddam & sons might be history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screaming Flower

ONE love, blood, life
msnbc -

Saddam, sons targeted in strike

BAGHDAD, Iraq, April 8 ? A U.S. Air Force warplane dropped four enormous bombs Monday on a residential neighborhood where ?extremely reliable? intelligence information indicated that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and his two sons were staying, senior administration officials told NBC News. The sources would not rule out the possibility that Saddam could have moved before the planes struck, but they said it was highly likely that he and his sons were dead if they were still there when the bombs hit.

BASED ON an intelligence source on the ground in Baghdad, U.S. military officials were confident that Saddam and his sons, Uday and Qusay, were attending a meeting in the neighborhood, senior officials said.

Officials quickly called in Air Force jets to strike the location Monday with four GBU-31 Joint Direct Attack Munition weapons, the 2,000-pound smart bombs known as ?bunker busters.? Diplomatic officials and officials at the Pentagon told NBC News that they were highly confident that they killed everyone at the meeting.

Military officials at U.S. Central Command forward headquarters in Doha, Qatar, confirmed the airstrike but would not comment on its possible effect.

[/snip]

they just cut into regular nbc tv with this alert. it will be interesting to see how this turns out...

"a leadership strike"....................a bit cryptic, but interesting. They don't know exactly what, or who......they might know in three hours.

nice...dropping bombs on residential neighborhoods...I hope there were absolutely no civilians in that area

Basstrap said:
nice...dropping bombs on residential neighborhoods...I hope there were absolutely no civilians in that area

me too.

While I would never want to see civilians be put in harms way, if there are credible sources suggesting that the root of the problem is holed up in building X, I believe you need to take a shot at it.

I don't see that point of view
even if saddam was there...he is just a figure head...he is not in power now as he once may have been

and at any rate...his life is not worth the lives of dozens of civilians, and I'm sure they would agree with me

that's all well and good basstrap, but if it brings about a quicker end to the war (and it would), it saves possibly thousands of more lives in the process, maybe tens of thousands

I'm a bit confused by this. OK -- so Prince Charles and his sons never travel together in case something happens to one of them [plane crash, etc.]. I know this is not a monarchy but why would Saddam and his sons be in the same place? isn't that inviting trouble? that being said, I hope we got them. Wanderer is right. The guy is scum but is it better to get it over with now or wait because of civilians?

I have my doubts. Saddam is probably smarter than that to be above ground, if he is as paranoid as we know him to be.

Melon

If this is the same "intelligence" that told us about the weapons of mass destruction, or the same intelligence that prompted the very first bombing, it's really not worth talking about it until there is evidence. Just like so many other terms this war has abused, intelligence is one that has began to lost it's meaning.

Personally, I don't mind if they got Saddam and his sons but I hope to heck no other civilians were around to be killed too. The guys are all :censored:'s. If they got him it will save many lives. This is good.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
If this is the same "intelligence" that told us about the weapons of mass destruction, or the same intelligence that prompted the very first bombing, it's really not worth talking about it until there is evidence. Just like so many other terms this war has abused, intelligence is one that has began to lost it's meaning.

Living in an instant gratification society, we do lose sight of what "intelligence" means in this context. We expect to know exactly what is happening the instant it happens - without errors.

In this instance, it appears eyes on the ground watched Saddam & Sons enter the building and called in the strike. Bombs hit the structure within 12 minutes.

On the opening night of the war, hours passed from the time intelligence targeted Saddam's location to when the first cruise missles and bunker busters hit the target.

The Wanderer said:
that's all well and good basstrap, but if it brings about a quicker end to the war (and it would), it saves possibly thousands of more lives in the process, maybe tens of thousands

it wouldn't bring about a quicker end to the war
the iraqi regime will fight to the death with or without him

Basstrap said:

it wouldn't bring about a quicker end to the war
the iraqi regime will fight to the death with or without him

Perhaps. I just wish they wouldn't for the sake of saving lives. Oh well........:sad: :sad:

that would happen if saddem was in power.
Im just saying at this stage in the game, whether he is dead or alive is not going to impact the speed of which the war is over with
he is not in ultimate control

so your contention is that no one is in control and the iraqi military continues its meager "resistance" because it's determined to fight to the death no matter what?

Wanderer...allow me to put it in simple point form for you

-Saddam is not in power now as one might think
-I never said they were putting up strong resistance
-whatever is left of the regime leader-wise will not surrender any faster whether saddam is dead or alive

Back
Top Bottom