Rush Limbaugh Defines A Real Vs A "Phony" Soldier - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

And your point? The issue is are they phony, and you said you must support the mission.

Do you read the threads?

don't you get it?

if you like Henry Rollins, then you hate U2, no matter how many records you've bought or concerts you've seen.

sheesh.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #122
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
...and if you search hard enough you can find a Black Sabbath fan at a U2 show, and if you look even furthur, you might even find a Henry Rollins' fan at a U2 show, well what do ya know, how about that!?

These views our in the minority of the US military.

context ppl, context.

dbs

Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So when is Rush going to enlist in the military and show all those "phony soldiers" how it's done?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #124
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
So when is Rush going to enlist in the military and show all those "phony soldiers" how it's done?
I think enlisting requires one to have a spine, be in shape, and not dependant on drugs... Rush has never had any of these.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #125
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

he and Cheney are going to run their own boot camp.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

go to any and all anti-war rallies and you'll find just as many "i support our troops / support our troops by bringing them home" signs as any others;
You mean signs like this?

Feel the Love Troops
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #127
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:51 PM
Once again pointing out the minority to paint a picture of the left...

Are you in middle school?

Can I now point at Phelps and paint a picture of Christians?

I assumed you were brighter than this, am I wrong?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #128
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I wouldn't find it surprising that soldiers would be more likely to support the war in Iraq instead of being opposed to it. For the sake of their own mental health, I imagine most would have to support the war.

Imagine putting your life on the line, watching your buddies die for an effort that you believed was ultimately futile and wrong? I imagine that would definitely be hard to reconcile. I can appreciate soldiers choosing to "support the mission" and I certainly don't hold it against them. That's their job to support the mission--it's one reason why ultimately the military is controlled by civilians in our country.

But that in no way means that a soldier who DOES manage to accept that horrible idea that their mission is futile is a "phony soldier."

I'm literally aghast at the knee-jerk defense of Limbaugh on this thread. The guy is so generally indefensible. Why take your stand on this particular issue?

I can't help wondering of AEON or Diamond has seen "A Few Good Men" and if so what you thought of that film? Perhaps that was one of the Left wing movies AEON was referring to?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 AM   #129
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Somehow I'm not FEELING supported by those folks. And neither does anyone else I know in the Armed Forces. Maybe they should consider a different way to demonstrate their love for the troops- maybe volunteer for the USO or something like that.
Do you think people opposed to the war don't volunteer with USO? We certainly do, it's not a partisan organization. In my experience most people who've volunteered with them had the same motivation I did, i.e. having had family in the military (or having served themselves), which obviously includes people from both parties.

Do you really see it as an American citizen's duty never to call for an end to a war, no matter how poor the returns on lives lost, no matter how deep the quagmire, no matter how blindly reckless the Administration? I can understand that it's a far better feeling to leave home confident that few will see any of the sacrifices to come as wasted or in vain. But to turn that into some sort of trump card against other citizens' obligations to vote their consciences on the overall results of the war as they best understand them--that to me seems antithetical to democracy.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:51 PM
I think the unofficial slogan for Limbaugh's show is "Are you going to believe me or your lyin' eyes?"
Old 10-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You mean signs like this?

Feel the Love Troops

you know what? i can play that too:

Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

But that in no way means that a soldier who DOES manage to accept that horrible idea that their mission is futile is a "phony soldier."
Yes-and I don't understand why some people don't get that It truly insults the intelligence and humanity of these men AND WOMEN to not allow them that and to insult and degrade them on top of that. And it insults those of us who do understand it to accuse us of not supporting them and caring about them.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

Do you think people opposed to the war don't volunteer with USO? We certainly do, it's not a partisan organization. In my experience most people who've volunteered with them had the same motivation I did, i.e. having had family in the military (or having served themselves), which obviously includes people from both parties.

Do you really see it as an American citizen's duty never to call for an end to a war, no matter how poor the returns on lives lost, no matter how deep the quagmire, no matter how blindly reckless the Administration? I can understand that it's a far better feeling to leave home confident that few will see any of the sacrifices to come as wasted or in vain. But to turn that into some sort of trump card against other citizens' obligations to vote their consciences on the overall results of the war as they best understand them--that to me seems antithetical to democracy.
I believe any citizen has the "right" to protest and vote their conscience. However, I think that our best chance in any war (once it is underway) is to have similar public support like World War II.

People have the right to protest, burn the flag, put bumper stickers on their Suburus...yet it is just my wish, a part-time soldier's wish, that these types of things didn't happen.

BTW - thank you and to anyone else serving in the USO.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #134
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

you know what? i can play that too:

How do we know you didn't go into your backyard and build this thing in order to make a point? The phot looks like Hillary - did you just photoshop the name?

j/k
Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

People have the right to protest, burn the flag, put bumper stickers on their Suburus...yet it is just my wish, a part-time soldier's wish, that these types of things didn't happen.
Would you really want to be a soldier for a country in which this wasn't allowed to happen?