Rush Limbaugh Defines A Real Vs A "Phony" Soldier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

i find the Jane Fonda effigies far more offensive.

More offensive than the Bush effigies at the rallies? Or the effigies of American troops?

AEON said:
You are a phony soldier when you lie about your service. I think that was the point Rush was making - and I agree.

I disagree with the soldiers that think we shouldn't be in Iraq, but that doesn't make them phony.

I can't believe you're still caught up on this: Rush WAS NOT referring to one soldier. He was referring to ANY soldier that speaks out against the war.

AEON -- You are a soldier, correct? Do you believe in what you are doing?

phillyfan26 said:

I can't believe you're still caught up on this: Rush WAS NOT referring to one soldier. He was referring to ANY soldier that speaks out against the war.

Well, we disagree. And honestly, I don't care because I'm not much of a Rush Limbaugh fan.

I do think he makes a good point that it was disgusting how the press ran with the story about the soldier claiming he was an Army Ranger (about elite as you get in our Army) and had witnessed these horrendous atrocities - without checking the facts and his background (it turns out this guy didn't even make it out of boot camp).

indra said:
AEON -- You are a soldier, correct? Do you believe in what you are doing?

Of course I do. I re-joined to be an officer in the National Guard in 2003 (I had previously served Active Duty).

AEON said:
Well, we disagree. And honestly, I don't care because I'm not much of a Rush Limbaugh fan.

I do think he makes a good point that it was disgusting how the press ran with the story about the soldier claiming he was an Army Ranger (about elite as you get in our Army) and had witnessed these horrendous atrocities - without checking the facts and his background (it turns out this guy didn't even make it out of boot camp).

But once again, he uses one example to paint the whole picture. I don't see how you can disagree. He doesn't say "a phony soldier." He says "THE phony soldierS."

You missed the point entirely. Do you disagree that he said "the phony soldiers" and not "a phony soldier?"

AEON said:

Honestly

I did not even hear his false claims

and if he never existed
and any other ones that made up the stories

it would not make much difference.

I did not believe in this Iraq War from the start without any fake stories
(but was it fake stories and evidence that got us there?)

and there are plenty of real stories that make our involvement in Iraq seem not worth the price we are paying

I listen to enough of Limbaugh to say that I believe he meant to label anyone that does not support to continue mission in Iraq

AEON said:

The beautiful logic of the Left. I'm glad they don't attack...

IMG_2328.jpg

Careful AEON, pics like that offend diamond - wouldn't want him reporting you.

AEON said:

Of course I do. I re-joined to be an officer in the National Guard in 2003 (I had previously served Active Duty).

If you believe in what you do, why do you care so much what others think? You seem very caught up on having everyone tell you that you (soldiers plural) are both doing a wonderful job and are engaged in a mission which will benefit this and other countries. Not everyone thinks both of those are true. You aren't ever going to get 100% approval -- no one does.

You live in a country that supposedly values freedom of speech and thought, but it seems you only believe that if it doesn't run afoul of the official line. It doesn't work that way, and it was never supposed to work that way. If you believe what you are doing is correct, you do it. And let others do the same.

I wonder how many conservatives believe in the power of crystals or homeopathy (I would attack the power of conservatives to believe in a conservative God, but then pretty much everybody claims that fantasy as their own); intelligence and political ideology are not directly associated with intelligence, regardless of how elite it may make one feel.

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

If you read the entire transcript I don't believe this was the gist of it. He was referring to Macbeth and folks who had the same questionable service record as his.

Bluer White said:
If you read the entire transcript I don't believe this was the gist of it. He was referring to Macbeth and folks who had the same questionable service record as his.

I completely disagree. The whole MacBeth thing came up a caller or two after "the phony soldiers."

indra said:

If you believe in what you do, why do you care so much what others think?

Isn't that a major purpose of this forum? To listen and discuss with others with opposing views? I'm sure I can spend more time in a Right wing dominated website, but this is far more engaging.

When I see something I disagree with, and I have the time, I'll join the discussion. What's the big deal? Isn't it more fun to beat up on the handful of Conservatives that venture into here than simply post applause smileys to every Liberal point?

CTU2fan said:

Careful AEON, pics like that offend diamond - wouldn't want him reporting you.

I know. And to think these folks paraded signs like this around in front of children. But hey, in San Francisco anything goes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That doesn't even make sense. Kerry lost because he wouldn't take a true stance on anything, ...

Obviously you haven't been a soilder, soildiers are taught to make decisions, take stances and live by them..

dbs

AEON said:

More offensive than the Bush effigies at the rallies? Or the effigies of American troops?

yes, more offensive than the Bush effigies.

i have never, ever seen an American soldier effigy at an American peace rally.

but, again, if you need to convince yourself that the people opposed to this war are evil people who hate you, go right ahead.

it's quite clear that i can't stop you.

Irvine511 said:

he's being hyperbolic in order to provoke a reaction from those who do dissent so he can write them off.
And it is a weak line of argument, but not at odds with free speech or it's principles.

diamond said:

Obviously you haven't been a soilder, soildiers are taught to make decisions, take stances and live by them..

dbs

So you run for President the same way you are carrying out a dangerous mission in a hostile jungle?

Have you ever served in the military?

Personally I think Limbaugh is an opportunist who would walk over the bodies of 100 soldiers (or if need be, 100 Republicans) to get to a Cuban cigar and a game of golf with celebrities he can namedrop.

That being said, from reading the transcript several times, I don't think either side can make a definitive case from these words as to what exactly he meant. Both sides sound like they are pulling at straws. I noted the plural. But this isn't the transcript that's going to bury Limbaugh. He's got some wiggle room. Even the missing parts of the transcript didn't provide any smoking gun. I believe that was removed because Rush was making no sense in the missing part and it was a cosmetic airbrush.

I'm inclined to think though that he is trying to create a link in his people's heads between soldiers who protest the war and somebody like Macbath (Saddam and 9/11) without directly saying so. He basically called the preceding caller a fake Republican while ignoring any military credentials the caller may have had because he wasn't lockstep with Rush's position. He used the propagandist's or apologist's MO of not tackling the issue headon, but questioning the credibility of the other person until the real issue gets lost in the other's defense of himself.

BonosSaint said:
Personally I think Limbaugh is an opportunist who would walk over the bodies of 100 soldiers (or if need be, 100 Republicans) to get to a Cuban cigar and a game of golf with celebrities he can namedrop.

That being said, from reading the transcript several times, I don't think either side can make a definitive case from these words as to what exactly he meant. Both sides sound like they are pulling at straws. I noted the plural. But this isn't the transcript that's going to bury Limbaugh. He's got some wiggle room. Even the missing parts of the transcript didn't provide any smoking gun. I believe that was removed because Rush was making no sense in the missing part and it was a cosmetic airbrush.

I'm inclined to think though that he is trying to create a link in his people's heads between soldiers who protest the war and somebody like Macbath (Saddam and 9/11) without directly saying so. He basically called the preceding caller a fake Republican while ignoring any military credentials the caller may have had because he wasn't lockstep with Rush's position. He used the propagandist's or apologist's MO of not tackling the issue headon, but questioning the credibility of the other person until the real issue gets lost in the other's defense of himself.

:yes: Your post captures how I feel about this issue 100%.

AEON said:

Isn't that a major purpose of this forum? To listen and discuss with others with opposing views? I'm sure I can spend more time in a Right wing dominated website, but this is far more engaging.

When I see something I disagree with, and I have the time, I'll join the discussion. What's the big deal? Isn't it more fun to beat up on the handful of Conservatives that venture into here than simply post applause smileys to every Liberal point?

Despite how it may appear, I AM glad you're here, AEON.

But here's the thing, and I don't mean to be offensive. . .I just think you could make stronger arguments than you have of late. The conservative political position is not completely ludicrous by any means, and a reasonable defense of the conservative point of view is definitely worthwhile and necessary (I''m going to talk more about that in a reply to the Conservatives/lLiberals think different). But the battles you've chosen to fight in this thread--I mean, defending Rush, a guy you yourself admitt you don't care much for--and in that illegal immigrants thread. . .I don't know, I'm sure this is very much a "left handed compliment" but it just seems beneath you. I just really believe you could do better.

maycocksean said:

Despite how it may appear, I AM glad you're here, AEON.

But here's the thing, and I don't mean to be offensive. . .I just think you could make stronger arguments than you have of late. The conservative political position is not completely ludicrous by any means, and a reasonable defense of the conservative point of view is definitely worthwhile and necessary (I''m going to talk more about that in a reply to the Conservatives/lLiberals think different). But the battles you've chosen to fight in this thread--I mean, defending Rush, a guy you yourself admitt you don't care much for--and in that illegal immigrants thread. . .I don't know, I'm sure this is very much a "left handed compliment" but it just seems beneath you. I just really believe you could do better.

Agreed completely, and not sure I can really add anything. Mudslingers like Rush (and Ann Coulter, and O'Reilly) aren't people you want to hitch your wagon to.

Back
Top Bottom