Rush Limbaugh Defines A Real Vs A "Phony" Soldier - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
nevermind.
Durbin comes to mind right away.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #92
ONE
love, blood, life

Durbin Apologizes for Nazi, Gulag, Pol Pot Remarks
Wednesday, June 22, 2005

By Sharon Kehnemui Liss

E-MAIL STORY RESPOND TO EDITOR PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
WASHINGTON — Sen. Dick Durbin (search) went to the Senate floor late Tuesday to offer his apologies to anyone who may have been offended by his comparison of treatment of detainees at the U.S. military base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to Nazis, Soviet gulags and Cambodia's Pol Pot.

"More than most people, a senator lives by his words ... occasionally words fail us, occasionally we will fail words," Durbin, D-Ill., said.

"I am sorry if anything I said caused any offense or pain to those who have such bitter memories of the Holocaust, the greatest moral tragedy of our time. Nothing, nothing should ever be said to demean or diminish that moral tragedy.

"I am also sorry if anything I said cast a negative light on our fine men and women in the military. ... I never ever intended any disrespect for them. Some may believe that my remarks crossed the line. To them I extend my heartfelt apology," Durbin said, choking on his words.

"They're the best," he said of U.S. service men and women.

"I think it was the right thing to do and the right thing to say to our men and women in uniform," said White House press secretary Scott McClellan.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist called Durbin's apology "an honorable step" along the road to understanding how words strengthen the nation's enemies in the war against terror.

(Story continues below

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

And please don't think for a second that most soldiers are buying this "we suddenly care about the soldiers" poop coming from the Left.
No one in the "left" cared about the soldiers before this? Why, because they criticized Bush and what was going on in the war? Don't confuse the two. I know and have known some, including one who died. I care so much about all of them. And plenty of people in the "left" care about them so much, I can't think of any human who wouldn't. There are no soldiers who are Democrats, who are from the "left"? What about them?

If Rush Limbaugh is patriotic well I must really despise my country
Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

shooting fish in a barrel, but I feel bad for the fish as they are that stooopid.

dbs
Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

that's the best you can do? a misstatement?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #96
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
shooting fish in a barrel, but I feel bad for the fish as they are that stooopid.

dbs

oh, the irony.

oh, oh the irony.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
nevermind.
nice edit

dbs
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

3. absolute offensive garbage -- go to any and all anti-war rallies and you'll find just as many "i support our troops / support our troops by bringing them home" signs as any others; unless you're suggesting that the only way to support our troops is to continue the funding that gets them killed and maimed and disabled for life
Somehow I'm not FEELING supported by those folks. And neither does anyone else I know in the Armed Forces. Maybe they should consider a different way to demonstrate their love for the troops- maybe volunteer for the USO or something like that. Or maybe not make movies that portray us as raping, murdering, vicious thugs...that would be nice, too.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

nice edit

dbs

BVS already asked the question, i thought i was being redundant.

anyway:

[q]So let’s see. What is the setting, what is the facility and program, and who is the cast of characters here? The Senate, Dick Durban, Guantanamo, the Patriot Act, Dick Cheney, the Fox”News”Channel? Well, yes. And was Dick Durban right? Well, yes, he was absolutely correct when he compared what is happening at Gitmo to what went on in Nazi Germany and the Stalinist Soviet Union. To illustrate the point, and to bring the Nazi-Georgite comparison into even sharper focus, let us note that the setting and etc. laid out above could easily have been the following.

The German Reichstag shortly after the passage of the Enabling Act could have been the setting. The Act gave Hitler and his designees the power to arrest anyone deemed a “terrorist” and then imprison them indefinitely without charge, representation, or trial, just on his own say-so, just like the Patriot Act does for Bush. The person rising could have been one of the few centrists left in that body, say a member of the Catholic Center Party just before it joined up with the Nazis. The facility and program could have been the first concentration camp set up by the Nazis in March, 1933, at Dachau, to house political prisoners labeled as “terrorists” by the regime, arrested arbitrarily without charges, and etc.

The attacker could easily have been Joseph Paul Goebbels, the Nazis’ chief propagandist, just as Cheney is for the Georgites. And then there was the national Nazi Party newspaper, the Volkischer Beobachter, the Fox”News”Channel of its day. “How dare you,” they would all say, “compare our brave young men and women [members of the SS] with the barbarians of the Bolshevik monsters? You could not possibly be more un-German if you tried.” And they would hammer this message home day after day, never, ever, ever dealing with the substance of the charges, known most widely to be absolutely correct.

Sen. Durban was thus more right than he knew. What then, is the “disaster” of this episode? He attacked the Georgites the wrong way. He focused on the guards personally, or at least focused on them enough to allow the Georgites to treat everything he was saying about what is going on at Gitmo and elsewhere in the gulag and what went on in Nazi Germany and the Stalinist Soviet Union, as an attack on our “fine young men and women.” Sen. Durban should have been focusing on the powers the Patriot Act gave the President to arbitrarily arrest and imprison forever, if he so pleases, anyone he labels as a “terrorist.” He should have been focusing on the presidentially-sanctioned policy that not only condones torture but encourages it.

He should have made it clear that in referring to Nazi Germany he was referring to all the totally abhorrent things that went there for years, well BEFORE the Holocaust got underway, but that were certainly very important enabling factors in its development. He then should have referred to the prison guards at Gitmo and elsewhere as victims of this policy, forced to act in ways (remember “we were only following orders” if any of our war criminals ever come to trial somewhere) that every true American rejects as totally abhorrent to our traditions of fairness, justice, and Constitutional government. The Senator should have counter-attacked strongly, demanding a discussion of the reality of the situation, exposing the Georgites for what they do over and over again, killing the messenger so that they can avoid dealing with the message.

Dick Durban’s heart was in the right place. What he said was absolutely correct, historically. However, we face a very determined and highly skilled enemy, just as intent upon destroying American Constitutional democracy as the Nazis were intent on destroying German Constitutional democracy. All of us opponents of the regime are going to have to hone our skills of verbal attack/counter-attack and searing debate to a much higher level, if the atrocious violence and seared landscape of theocratic-fascism and a resultant Second Civil War are not to be visited upon the nation of the United States of America.

http://www.planetarymovement.org/200...rban-disaster/

[/q]
Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Quote:

Durbin comes to mind right away.
Wasn't he commenting more on the procedures and the issues of Gitmo more than actually attacking soldiers?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
oh, the irony.

oh, oh the irony.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #102
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Somehow I'm not FEELING supported by those folks. And neither does anyone else I know in the Armed Forces. Maybe they should consider a different way to demonstrate their love for the troops- maybe volunteer for the USO or something like that. Or maybe not make movies that portray us as raping, murdering, vicious thugs...that would be nice, too.

and this would be their fault?

and please, the US is awash in patriotic bru-ha-ha that lionizes soldiers. go watch any war movie, from "Private Ryan" to "Platoon" to any of the John Wayne silliness.

it's important to understand that, yes, some soldiers are raping, murdering, vicious thugs and have been responsible for things like My Lai. it's every bit to acknolwedge the fact that, yes, we have done bad things as it is to acknolwege the fact that, yes, we did save the world from fascism.

educated people can live with multiple thoughts in their minds at once.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #103
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Who's made these movies?

Please answer my question, what has Rush done to support you that the left hasn't?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Wasn't he commenting more on the procedures and the issues of Gitmo more than actually attacking soldiers?
Why did he apologize then?

One supports the troops by supporting the mission.

dbs
Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #105
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

dbs
But the person who shoots fish in a barrel is intelligent?